2010 Rx 350 Delivered Yesterday!

Just picked up my 2010 Obsidian on Parchment RX 350 yesterday. First impressions: amazing! This is my first Lexus, so I can't compare to the previous generation RX. But, coming from a 996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, I can say that the RX handles pretty well, despite its weight and 'relative lack of sportiness' expected from a Lexus (F series excluded). The steering is a little light, although from what I've read, it's an improvement over the last generation. Cabin is exceptionally quiet, though I guess not surprising coming from a Lexus (I'm used to always hearing the horizontally opposed flat 6 in my 911). I gave up the 911 for practicality, reliability, comfort and luxury = LEXUS. The fit and finish in this RX is fantastic. The way the doors close, even the one-touch windows decelerate before completely closing or opening! The Remote touch is intuitive and easy to use, and if you're comfortable with a mouse and computer, the learning curve is not steep. I did not have to open any manual for the Remote touch. Very simple.

The Voice Recognition works very well. I would say 9/10 times, it will correctly recognize your commands, although sometimes, there's a 4-5 second delay. My only gripe is that in order to load 6 CDs, you have to push the load button six times (unless there's something that I'm missing).

Automatic access (the equivalent to Comfort Access from BMW) works like a charm. The doors unlock even before you touch the door handle. Enjoy the pics.

post-89959-1237531632_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237530873_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237530932_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237530978_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237531054_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237531108_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237531675_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237531183_thumb.jpg

post-89959-1237531225_thumb.jpg

i saw it at the dealer yesterday..curious how it drives on the highway

Maybe it's just me, but does the 2010 RX seem a bit....

ummm....

girlie?

I see your point. IMHO, I think the Lexus RXs were always feminized because a lot of women drive them. The designers at Lexus tried to make this new model more aggressive looking, according to the Vice President of Lexus Marketing. To each his own, I guess, but I like the new design better, especially the rear tail lights. The headlights are a little more aggressive, but the front bumper seems like it's missing some bumper underneath (it's angled too steeply below).

Beautiful car, i love the combination of black exterior and tan interior. Do you mind sharing how much you got that for?

Thanks. The price of the car before taxes and PDI was about $56,900 CA. Taxes here are about 15% and PDI is $1820.

Hi fellas,

My first post as new member. Yesterday we signed the deal on 2010 RX 350 AWD with Navi. Black Sapphire Pearl with Black Interior. The truck is supposed to be at the dealer by the middle of next week, but I will most likely not pick it up until the end of April, when my current lease on Acura MDX matures.

I was pitting MDX against RX ever since it came out in late 2000. I have been driving MDX ever since. First, 2001 for 4 years. Then, 2005. Both times, after looking at others, the choices were MDX or RX, and MDX always won, in terms of utility, looks, and driving impressions. RX was always lacking IMO in a spirited driving department.

This time, I put RX on my test-drive list at the last minute (looked at Q5, ML, and of course MDX). Q5 is small, but nice, but german engineerng is abit wierd. I guess, after driving japanese-made cars for 12 years, I've come to expect things in certain places, or work in certain way. Plus, reliability on a first year model is a big concern. ML was a huge disappointment. Stupid column shifter. Outdated COMAND. Handling is only average. Costliest, beyond the reason. MDX was everything I come to expect from Acura, but did not have that wow factor I got after I drove the new RX.

I can't say I love everything about the new RX, but I felt its the best combination and presents the smartest choice amongst its current competitors. Of course, I need to drive it through a couple of years, with all the daily commuting, and weekend gateways, visits for service, dealing with dents and dings, etc. before making any final judgements.

Oh, regarding the girlie RX comment. I totally agree. 1998 through 2009 had that impression on me. I felt different about 2010: wider stance, less rounded shapes (alas abit awkward or unfinished - take your pick), much-much-much sportier handling and road feel. The best one for me is finally a normal console, instead of minivanish armrests. Still, I am not completely warmed up towards the dash mounted steering column. Especially, for sport shift mode. I found 2009 MDX's shifter much more friendlier. At the end, my wife's comments round it up: she said once she set at the wheel that whomever designed the interior certainly had women in mind as all the controls, cup holders, and that hidden compartment below the console perfect for a purse (GRRR...) are exactly where she would expect them in her mind. She said she did not feel the same in our current MDX.

Amazing. As long as I still get to drive it 70% of the time. Can't wait!

Actually I thoght the older design was more sporty than the new one. The slanted headlights look funny. The bumper has disappeared. The lines of 2010 make it look more like a station wagon than a SuV, in my opinion.

Yep, I still have regrets about not getting the MDX. I love the looks and styling of the 2009 RDX but that headroom situation is a slight problem.

Hi guys,

Just negotiating for a new RX350 and wondering what is a good price? I hate the car buying game but will put up with it.

Is it realistic to pay invoice price or below (as we never see all the credits back to the dealer). Or btter to expect some type of discount off of MSRP?

I want NAV but Lexus nav is 2X the price of other brands. Seem like they're gouging on some options...

Thanks for any guidance.

Any info will be appreciated. Really want to know if we should start negotiating with Invoice or even below it? I am really interested in getting the new 2010 RX, not sure if the dealers are willing to go low since it is so new. Although I have received email from a dealer saying they are discounting 08-09 RX 350, RX 400H for 8k under MSRP due to the sick economy which is huge right? I know even MB are willing to cut below invoice for GLK. Comparing many competitor I think the RX definitely has more toys to play with than like the Q5 or X5. I hope they have the panaroma roof on the RX though.

Really want to know if we should start negotiating with Invoice or even below it? I am really interested in getting the new 2010 RX, not sure if the dealers are willing to go low since it is so new. I hope they have the panaroma roof on the RX though.

Hi,

I live in same area. I would suggest you print out dealer cost info. I paid a small fee to use Consumer Reports new car buying kit. You can go through and choose your options and then it gives you MSRP, dealer cost, dealer holdbacks, hidden dealer incentives, etc. Approach a dealer knowing these numbers and you have a better chance of getting the best deal. From what I've seen, the only way to get the best deal in the Bay Area is if you want to buy a car that is sitting on the lot. I've seen $4000 off MSRP in this case. Otherwise, the best you will probably do is 2-3 thousand below MSRP, especially if you want a hard to find color or feature. Even that is a good deal right now.

Good luck.

Congrats. I picked up my '10 RX a couple days ago (Ultimate premium package). I've been looking all over for some answers to a couple Qs, so I thought Id register here and give it a shot. Instead of starting a new thread I thought Id ask in this one:

1. Is there ANY WAY to disable the 'safety' restrictions with the nav system, etc, while driving? I often have a passenger with me, who can very well program the navigation. The voice is too flakey to use reliably. I think I'm intelligent enough to judge for myself what will distract me from driving. All Im saying is that Id like my co-pilot to be able to program the gps while Im driving, instead of having to pull over and parking the car to make any changes.

2. Is there any way to disable to automatic lock/unlock when touching the door handles? Id rather have the confidence of manually doing with with the keyfob, and know for a fact the doors are locked.

3. Is there any way to turn the car on without depressing the brakes? You may find this to be a silly complaint, but I have my reasons. Where I live, it is extremely cold for most of the year, and thus the car needs to be warmed up for a few minutes. I always used to run to the garage, and start the engine by entering through the passenger door, and go back indoors for a few min, as its much easier access because of the location of the car in the garage. Now, I have to go all the way around to the drivers side and sit, which is more of an inconvenience compared to how I used to do it.

Thanks.

1. Is there ANY WAY to disable the 'safety' restrictions with the nav system, etc, while driving? I often have a passenger with me, who can very well program the navigation. The voice is too flakey to use reliably. I think I'm intelligent enough to judge for myself what will distract me from driving. All Im saying is that Id like my co-pilot to be able to program the gps while Im driving, instead of having to pull over and parking the car to make any changes.

There are kits you can buy that will bypass the speed sensor so you can enter destinations, the '10 RX's system is so new I don't know if they will work.

Theres no other way to bypass it though and its been discussed ad nauseum on the site. Unfortunately its just a byproduct of our litigation happy culture, most carmakers lockout nav functions when driving now...

2. Is there any way to disable to automatic lock/unlock when touching the door handles? Id rather have the confidence of manually doing with with the keyfob, and know for a fact the doors are locked.

I think you should give this feature a chance to get used to it, IMHO its one of the best features of the car. When you push the lock button the doors lock and the "beep" sounds, you have all the confirmation of locking you do with the key, plus you can still use the key if you like to lock the doors even with the system functional. Over time you'll really appreciate not having to dig around for your keys...

3. Is there any way to turn the car on without depressing the brakes? You may find this to be a silly complaint, but I have my reasons. Where I live, it is extremely cold for most of the year, and thus the car needs to be warmed up for a few minutes. I always used to run to the garage, and start the engine by entering through the passenger door, and go back indoors for a few min, as its much easier access because of the location of the car in the garage. Now, I have to go all the way around to the drivers side and sit, which is more of an inconvenience compared to how I used to do it.

You'd have to install a remote start.

With that said...you absolutely should not be warming the car up in the garage even with the door open unless its a detached garage. Thats a huge carbon monoxide risk...

There are kits you can buy that will bypass the speed sensor so you can enter destinations, the '10 RX's system is so new I don't know if they will work.

Theres no other way to bypass it though and its been discussed ad nauseum on the site. Unfortunately its just a byproduct of our litigation happy culture, most carmakers lockout nav functions when driving now...

I think you should give this feature a chance to get used to it, IMHO its one of the best features of the car. When you push the lock button the doors lock and the "beep" sounds, you have all the confirmation of locking you do with the key, plus you can still use the key if you like to lock the doors even with the system functional. Over time you'll really appreciate not having to dig around for your keys...

You'd have to install a remote start.

With that said...you absolutely should not be warming the car up in the garage even with the door open unless its a detached garage. Thats a huge carbon monoxide risk...

Thanks, I appreciate the response. Your answers are pretty much what I expected. And yes, you're right in that I should give myself more time to adjust to the auto locking system. I guess its a control issue.

Hi guys

Its my third week driving RX. Still adjusting to the ride, smaller inside that my previous 05 MDX, but mostly struggling to find a comfortable position for the driver's seat (I'm 6'3"). Otherwise, love the Sapphire.

Last weekend, I took RX for a first car wash and I have a somewhat dumb question. I have a push start. Should I leave the key inside, or take it with me? I'm within 5-10 feet from the truck as it goes through the car wash.

I once stepped out with a key in my pocket and engine idling, and RX started beeping and I think I saw a warning message on the console, but will the engine actually shut down if I move outside the sensor range?

I have no problem leaving the key inside, but I may forget to do this next time, and I don't want the engine to shut off when going through a car wash.

Looks Good!

I'm new here and am also thinking of getting the 2010 RX350 with ultra premium package (in Canada). I'm hoping to get a lot of useful information from Lexus owners as this will be my first Lexus. I drive a 2000 4Runner Ltd with lots of aftermarket upgrades such as in dash dvd nav, heated seats, bull bars, husky liners, etc. She's a beauty.

My wife and I are looking at a new vehicle because I think we've grown out of the 4Runner (even though she served us very well and has another 10 years in her) and wanted something new, ultimately bigger. We were looking at the X5, MDX, Q7, RX and CX-9 (even though its in a different class altogether). But reading through reviews and test drives, and customer comments, we're leaning towards the Lexus. The only problem we have is the space. We love the MDX for its space and 3rd row seating and sometimes exterior looks, but I know that the Lexus is more advanced and has better reliability (as I've proven with driving lots of Toyotas).

Does anyone here find the RX too small? I'm planning on putting 2 booster seats (and a car seat in the rear eventually).

As I'm reading posts here, I'm leaning more and more towards the RX. I've read all the good stuff about the '10RX, I'm interested in reading about the bad.. but maybe there are none..

any insight, encouragements, discouragements are welcome. Thanks!

Last weekend, I took RX for a first car wash and I have a somewhat dumb question. I have a push start. Should I leave the key inside, or take it with me? I'm within 5-10 feet from the truck as it goes through the car wash.

I once stepped out with a key in my pocket and engine idling, and RX started beeping and I think I saw a warning message on the console, but will the engine actually shut down if I move outside the sensor range?

I have no problem leaving the key inside, but I may forget to do this next time, and I don't want the engine to shut off when going through a car wash.

Gotta leave the key inside. If they shut it off it won't restart without the key in the car.

Looks Good!

I'm new here and am also thinking of getting the 2010 RX350 with ultra premium package (in Canada). I'm hoping to get a lot of useful information from Lexus owners as this will be my first Lexus. I drive a 2000 4Runner Ltd with lots of aftermarket upgrades such as in dash dvd nav, heated seats, bull bars, husky liners, etc. She's a beauty.

My wife and I are looking at a new vehicle because I think we've grown out of the 4Runner (even though she served us very well and has another 10 years in her) and wanted something new, ultimately bigger. We were looking at the X5, MDX, Q7, RX and CX-9 (even though its in a different class altogether). But reading through reviews and test drives, and customer comments, we're leaning towards the Lexus. The only problem we have is the space. We love the MDX for its space and 3rd row seating and sometimes exterior looks, but I know that the Lexus is more advanced and has better reliability (as I've proven with driving lots of Toyotas).

Does anyone here find the RX too small? I'm planning on putting 2 booster seats (and a car seat in the rear eventually).

As I'm reading posts here, I'm leaning more and more towards the RX. I've read all the good stuff about the '10RX, I'm interested in reading about the bad.. but maybe there are none..

Welcome! Glad to see another Canadian on the forum. My 2010 Lexus RX 350 (Touring) is my first Lexus experience ever. I thought after giving up my 911 that I would really miss it immediately, but I'm not getting that feeling yet. My father has the '08 Acura MDX and it is a little more spacious than the Lexus. I've driven both and the MDX handles a little better, but don't forget that it's a bigger vehicle and so that offsets the handling somewhat. The fit and finish in the Lexus is superior to the Acura. Both cars offer great technology and the Lexus is about $1000-$2000 more than a similarly equipped MDX. I don't have children, so I can't comment on child seats, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a child seat to the Lexus/Acura dealers and actually go through the process of strapping down the seats to see if there is such a big difference in convenience between the two vehicles. I think the Acura looks more aggressive and the Lexus more elegant. I guess in the end, it really comes down to what your priorities are, and for me, reliability, comfort and fit and finish come first and that's why I chose the Lexus. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks! I'm glad to be a part of this forum.

We just ordered an Obsidian with black interior 2010 RX with ultra premium package. They said 4-6 weeks in Ontario. We're pretty excited now. Can't wait.

Has anyone put in a remote starter in their RX? And if so, how much did they charge you? They want to charge me $500 for it but I haven't said yes yet until I know that's a good price.

Thanks!

DOUS

Looks Good!

Welcome! Glad to see another Canadian on the forum. My 2010 Lexus RX 350 (Touring) is my first Lexus experience ever. I thought after giving up my 911 that I would really miss it immediately, but I'm not getting that feeling yet. My father has the '08 Acura MDX and it is a little more spacious than the Lexus. I've driven both and the MDX handles a little better, but don't forget that it's a bigger vehicle and so that offsets the handling somewhat. The fit and finish in the Lexus is superior to the Acura. Both cars offer great technology and the Lexus is about $1000-$2000 more than a similarly equipped MDX. I don't have children, so I can't comment on child seats, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a child seat to the Lexus/Acura dealers and actually go through the process of strapping down the seats to see if there is such a big difference in convenience between the two vehicles. I think the Acura looks more aggressive and the Lexus more elegant. I guess in the end, it really comes down to what your priorities are, and for me, reliability, comfort and fit and finish come first and that's why I chose the Lexus. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hey Markus03, can you please post pics of your Obsidian outdoors? I want to see how it looks under natural lighting. I'm comparing it to the Smoky Granite Mica. Thanks in advance!

Hey! Sorry I am on vacation right now so can't post any outdoor pictures of my car. When I get back, I will post some for you!