Presidential? Obama

nc211

Well, what do you guys and gals think so far of our new President? Presidential? On course, or throwing punches at shadows? Me? Well I have my concerns, which tie back to my original gut feeling about his lack of experience when a similar thread popped up last year.

Now that I'm living in Chicago, his home base, I've had the chance to see a lot about his history, that I didn't get a chance to see from North Carolina. I saw a very insightful show on him called Frontline. I was stunned to see that nearly everything he said during his campaign for President, were the EXACT same things he was saying back in his earlier days, his intro days into politics, just 10 years ago. I thought that was insightful. It got me thinking, about the whole slogan of his of "change". Frontline portrayed him as using "change" as the weapon against the sitting canidate for whatever he was going after. It also showed that he was thinking two steps forward. Wanting to win this seat, so he could position himself for the next seat. He was speaking for that second seat, while trying to get elected for the first seat. Now, he has the last seat in the chain, and it's time to prove what he's been saying. I'm concerned about his ability to put up, or shut up. Here is why:

Simple: When the Oval office becomes the Corner office, things get spooky, things get blury, and things get scary. The Oval office is NOT the private sector, and to use it to run the private sector, never works. Look, I'm ticked about the whole AIG thing too. I think it's wrong, as I think the vast majority of the approach to this "bail out" has been handled. This isn't a crisis of liquidity, but a crisis of balance sheets. Throwing money at it, won't fix it, ever. But, when you have the President of the United States on Jay Leno, bashing AIG, I have to wonder what the other CEO's are thinking? I know what they're thinking, and as evidenced by a move from JPMorgan two weeks ago, they're saying "USA is too scary to base operations out of right now". JPMorgan has increased their job allocation to 25% for China this week, with more to come. That's what hit the press, so you know others are doing the same in the shadows.

I'm just saying...I am growing more and more concerned about Obama's "Presidential" abilities. I get what he's doing, wanting to be the "common man" President. But, honestly folks, would you want your neighbor, the same guy who drank all of your beer last weekend and still has your yard edger, being President? I don't, I think. I'll give him some slack as he's new, and in the honeymoon period and still figuring out how things work. But, I am very concerned about how he is using the White House mouthpiece to discuss the private sector. Whether you like what's going on or not, the fact remains that many of those big ole' companies are the same ones paying salaries, health insurance costs, and most importantly, providing competition which is the backbone of our country's economic health...capitalism. You spook off the competitors, then you've got anti-trust issues and we're all forced to pay whatever the last one standing says.

So, whatcha' think amigos? How's he doing?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving job allocation of what to china?

Most companies are moving support staff overseas and have for years , it only makes sense to reduce costs. I would not draw a conclusion of aig being fingered as a reason as it takes months for a move like that.

He is workign at keeping the people happy , he is running a multi level marketing scheme by keeping him on a level playing feild as the people and not the companies. A strange and refreshing way to do business . I say buisness because no matter how you feel politics is a buisness that has to have as much heart involved as a balance sheet to work effectively.

Moving job allocation of what to china?

Most companies are moving support staff overseas and have for years , it only makes sense to reduce costs. I would not draw a conclusion of aig being fingered as a reason as it takes months for a move like that.

He is workign at keeping the people happy , he is running a multi level marketing scheme by keeping him on a level playing feild as the people and not the companies. A strange and refreshing way to do business . I say buisness because no matter how you feel politics is a buisness that has to have as much heart involved as a balance sheet to work effectively.

You're right, they have been sending a good bit of back-office staff asignments overseas to reduce costs. JPMorgan's increased allocation of overseas jobs are in that "back office" segment. But, was this not what Obama was talking about stopping in his campaign? Making the exportation of jobs to China and such less attractive then keeping them here for us?

I don't know, I've just got this feeling we're re-entering a "scandal" period again for the White House. I don't think it'll be hookers in the closet and cigars in the dna shredder stuff, but I've just got a feeling we're starting to go backwards in that regard to the "class" appearance of the White House and our political system.

Randy, although I don't agree with some of your comments "although I understand them", I certainly agree about the inflationary situation that is coming! I don't think it'll be in oil again though, but I do think it'll be in consumer goods. That's why I'm really really really thinking about trading up on our Mazda 3 back to Lexus, with a GS. Prices are so low, dealers are so desperate, that it's almost too difficult to not do. We're buying things that we need and want right now left and right. New furniture, another hdtv, possibly a nicer car, in anticipation that soon these things will cost twice as much! It's the classic followup play to deflation. The further it swings one way, the further it'll swing the other way.

If I were a mortgage holder "not anymore, to affraid to buy in Chicago at the moment", I'd make sure I had a FHA loan on my house. That assumability clause associated with the FHA platform will be worth it's weight in gold soon. When you have a 5.5% assumable mortage and need to sell your house in a 10% lending environment....well, you see the advantage of telling the buying marketplace that they can assume your 5.5% rate! That equals additional value to your home!

Randy,

Give it a rest. The world economic meltdown didn't start 60 days ago when Obama became president. It's been building for many years. The economic bubble, like the ponzi schemes Madoff and many others were running, had to burst eventually -- they always do.

Spend less (or no) time watching "Fox Nuts" -- it's not even close to being a news channel ... just a bunch of people shouting fire in a crowded theater. Remember that the main goal of both the pseudo-news and the "real"-news channels is to sell advertising.

Well I certainly hope that the U.S. can make friends with some of those terrorists. If I could find a way to make friends with school bully Dorman Wilcox, then anything is possible. I wonder how old Dorman is doing these days.

These are difficult times but I am optimistic.

Hmmm ... I should call my buddy at AIG and ask if he gave his bonus back -- his name is also "Randy" so I think he should be watched closely.

:rolleyes:

LOL @ RB , that made so little practical sense i had to laugh as it sounds like something George bush would say before someone throws a shoe at him.

Diplomacy will stop more killing than killing more people.

He is in goverment to make cool level headed descions not to jump and react.

The world is taking notice to a different side of "Americans" . It is not him trying to be a cohort to destorying his own but allowing others to be as well where ever they are.

"America" by many out side of he US see it as a power hunger donminating controlling country who medles in others affairs for their own self gratification.

I don't make these statments but see and hear it from others from all over the world.

He has changed the tone and others have been receptive , you may not agree with his practices but every exchange of words is much better than one with bullets.

No one wants to see those commited to defending there country come home in a casket.

I feel He is scrambling, and between his allies Pelosi and Reid, is fullfilling the dream of all agenda items that were never done under the guise of fixing the economy. It is a huge smokescreen, and the money cant be printed fast enough. Government does not create jobs to an extent that will sustain. If the real issue of Jobs, taxes, and control on spending isnt met we are doomed. Republicans and Democrats have become one, and we are headed in no direction. I still cant understand how they feel the wealthy are supposed to distribute their income to people that have not earned it. Yes I know there is a lot of corruption, (CEO's etc) but the fix for that should have been the stockholders. Let the darn companies fail, go into bankruptcy and re organize....All I have seen so far is major corruption (AIG, Bank of AMerica, etc) and when they get caught, the blame is impossible to find....No body wants to admit they made a mistake and move on to fix the original problem....THe Treasurey Secretary is a fine example of the biggest idiot we have.

He's speeding through everything not giving a crap what passes.

NO MORE EARMARKS!!!!......then passes millions....

Oh also about FOX News....

If you try to argue about FACTS it's a futile battle..

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

FNC litterally dwarfs everything.

The previous congress and administration were incompetent and corrupt as well - but who doesn't get that?

Well, Randy. I don't get it. True, the Bush administration neoconservatives did a lot of damage. Same for it taking our government from a wonderful financial position to the brink of financial disaster. It is sad. Our form of democracy is still one of the best types of government around. It is certainly a "work in progress".

The decisions that were made regarding the invasion of Iraq were based on false intel and a total failure to understand the Mid East culture and Islam. It was a BIG mistake. After 9/11 I was all for it, now I believe it was stupid.

Neither my friends nor I supported the Iran invasion at any time. We watched in horror as weapons inspector David Kay begged the Bush administration for more time to find those "weapons of mass destruction" while it was obvisous that Bush was itching to pull the trigger. That even top Bush administration figures didn't know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites was scary. I would have thought that some of these guys would have at least seen the movie "Lawrence of Arabia".

Randy, what would you do if 15 Saudis, 2 guys from the U.A.E., 1 Egyptian and 1 Lebanese hijacked and crashed planes into commercial and govenment buildings? Attack New Mexico?

The actions taken by Obama and Congress since he took over, are so unprecedented, the consequences will probably never be erased. The dramatic effects will start to become more real as the American population wakes up to a government not of the people, not by the people, or not for the people, but in total control of the people.

Randy, I have no idea what you are talking about. I've got a pretty fair knowledge of history -- I majored in history and had planned to become a history teacher -- but I'm missing your point.

1990LS400, how do you feel about H.R. 1388 or H.R. 45??

My elected representative voted for H.R. 1388 and will support H.R. 45. "Denny" is a Democrat in his 6th term in a Republican majority district. I am also for universal service and a return to a military draft with zero exemptions. I also support limited gun control and, like most constitutional scholars, I am mystified that the Supreme Court ignored half of the 2nd Amendment in its recent decision.

Let's see... so it's the "advertising" that has made Fox News and Bill O'Reilly THE most watched news broadcast in the world??? :lol:

Randy, you might want to check the validity of your "most watched" statement and look into the demographic profile of those who watch Fox "News".

You are very disillusioned or very misinformed if you believe the US will ever become friends of terrorists! You need to do some serious research into what the Quoran teaches and the insidious onslaught of Islam.

Well ... a few people have called me a dreamer ... although I've proved them wrong many times and done what was called "impossible" in both work and in local politics. Randy, have you actually read the Koran? How many Muslims have you shared a meal with? How many Muslims do you know?

Yes, this may be funny for some. For those losing everything they've worked for all their lives, it's an incredible tragedy.

I do have sympathy for those who are in financial trouble. I know people who are probably going to lose their homes. I saw the current financial meltdown coming for a long, long time and tried to help people prepare for it by counceling them to get their financial houses in order, to live frugally and to eliminate as much debt as possible. Some paid attention and some did not.

Yes, the "spend-you-less" stimulus package and bailout money is a joke.

The bailout program certainly got off on the wrong foot when the Bush administration failed to tie bailout money to actions required to get the money. The AIG situation certainly is stupid. Hopefully, these issues will be fixed.

The world is not coming to an end. No! Watch out for that asteroid!

Whats up with Obama making a special olympics joke on Leno???

wow....

Funny from anyone else... but the President of the United States of America needs to hold himself a little higher than that...

What another shame...

You are very disillusioned or very misinformed if you believe the US will ever become friends of terrorists! You need to do some serious research into what the Quoran teaches and the insidious onslaught of Islam.

This statement is so arrogant that it shows where your intelligence is.

The Qur'an is a book , idiots who take it to mean anything else and make stupid comments are just as ignorant as the ones who use it as an excuse for killing .

Every religion ,race and country has morons .

Stupid people blame everyone they can , intellegent people can decipher the difference of association .

Every religion ,race and country has morons .

Stupid people blame everyone they can , intellegent people can decipher the difference of association .

Completely Agreed Sir :)

I think you should excuse yourself from this discussion Randy...your posting has completely derailed the original intent of nc's thread. Now that its gotten racial, I think its time for you to bow out. Thats not a request.

jcrome,

The Special Olympics joke was a gaff, its something you or I could have very easily said, and something we do say privately. People make gaffes. If you really think he has some sort of issue with retarded people...thats a joke.

You don't like him so you're going to pretend its something much more than it was...as Sarah Palin did. Find me one President who has never made a gaffe like that...there isn't one.

Anyways, I think he's doing fine. I rather like the fact that he's traveling around to meet and talk to people and doing things like going on Leno and publishing his brackets, etc. I think its very refreshing after having such a closed and detached administration to have one thats as accessable to common people as Obama's is. What people have to realize is this country is in the process of being handed over to my generation. In my generation leaders aren't as seperated from the rest of the group as they are in older generations. For instance, I have the CEO of my company's cell phone. I've had lunch with him. Our manager comes out to happy hour with us. Times have changed.

I personally never felt he bashed AIG when on Leno at all...

I'm not quite sure what people expect from him. He's not a magician, but he has done more in the last 60 days than I can remember any recent president doing in their entire first term. He's shown that he's going to try and do the things he said he was going to do, and I think some people just don't know what to make of that because we've not had a president that has moved right into his agenda the way Obama has before...

I think you should excuse yourself from this discussion Randy...your posting has completely derailed the original intent of nc's thread. Now that its gotten racial, I think its time for you to bow out. Thats not a request.

jcrome,

The Special Olympics joke was a gaff, its something you or I could have very easily said, and something we do say privately. People make gaffes. If you really think he has some sort of issue with retarded people...thats a joke.

You don't like him so you're going to pretend its something much more than it was...as Sarah Palin did. Find me one President who has never made a gaffe like that...there isn't one.

Anyways, I think he's doing fine. I rather like the fact that he's traveling around to meet and talk to people and doing things like going on Leno and publishing his brackets, etc. I think its very refreshing after having such a closed and detached administration to have one thats as accessable to common people as Obama's is. What people have to realize is this country is in the process of being handed over to my generation. In my generation leaders aren't as seperated from the rest of the group as they are in older generations. For instance, I have the CEO of my company's cell phone. I've had lunch with him. Our manager comes out to happy hour with us. Times have changed.

I personally never felt he bashed AIG when on Leno at all...

I'm not quite sure what people expect from him. He's not a magician, but he has done more in the last 60 days than I can remember any recent president doing in their entire first term. He's shown that he's going to try and do the things he said he was going to do, and I think some people just don't know what to make of that because we've not had a president that has moved right into his agenda the way Obama has before...

Yes it was a joke, but those kinds of jokes shouldn't be said on national television is where I'm coming from. And true he is not a magician but so many people have praised him and worshipped him as so almighty that I, personally, expected more of someone of his caliber.

JOKES about HANDICAPPED people should NOT be made on national television by the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Yeah when I'm with my buddies shootin' the !Removed! I may make crude jokes, and laugh at them. And personally could have cared less if someone ELSE had made the joke. Maybe if Leno made that joke to Obama. I have a very extensive sense of humor that can easily offend ANYBODY near me at any time.

But to have the leader of the free world make a joke about handicapped people on TV??? THAT my friend is a joke all in it's self. It's not just about a gaffe. It's not about, oh he's just like every American just let it slide. The President is not like every other American because they are the LEADER of a NATION. And no I do not think Obama really hates "retarded people".

It's about the Commander in Chief being able to hold himself with some kind of respect, and dignity. I thought him appearing on Leno was good other than his !Removed! joke. It's a good opportunity to come in contact with a lot different demographic that may not always keep up to speed with Politics.

The difference between you or I making a joke about retards is that neither of us is the President, or nearly as important as the president.

He can't be a comedian, or a pop star. He needs to be the President.

I don't care if he fills out sports brackets every day, or goes on every talk show. Just don't let it interfere with BEING president.

I may not have voted for him, but I gave him every benefit of the doubt when he was elected. I DO NOT hate him. I was not extreme for any candidate this election.

He needs to slow down. He's taking things too quickly. Smell the roses and read the fine print.

He has all the potential to be one of the greatest Presidents.

(Maybe if Hillary were elected Bill could have given her tips for the economy :lol: He didn't do too bad with that!) ;)

:cheers:

Had he thought about it he of course would not have made the statement, and of course it was innapropriate. Had he not thought it was innapropriate he wouldn't have immediately called the President of the Special Olympics to apologize before it ever even aired. It was obviously of those things you just say automatically and then wish you could take back. Happens to everybody, especially when they are a little nervous. I'm in sales and trust me, happens a lot.

He may be the President and Commander in Chief, but he's only human and people make mistakes and say things they didn't mean to say. Get over it, everyone else has.

And can you show me some example how any of these "common folk" things he is doing interferes with being President? As you may or may not know, the white house goes with the President wherever he goes...

Bush spent 40% of his time in office on vacation.

I didn't say it IS interfering. I'm just saying I hope he doesn't let it interfere with anything.

and I am over it. Just think it was not the best thing for the President to say on national TV.

If it came out of his mouth, than it was in his mind. A more compassionate man would not have had those thoughts in the first place.

It was in his mind because it was a hillarious joke. If you condemned everyone for the thoughts in their head I'm sure even you my friend might be guilty of something ;)

It's just not the best joke to be coming out of the President's mouth. :D

He needs to save those jokes for when he's with his buddys bendin' elbows! :cheers:

Just needs to be more wary of his tongue as President (IMHO)

One gaffe? Actually I think he's remarkably controlled of his tongue for being in front of the camera as much as he is...

If it came out of his mouth, than it was in his mind. A more compassionate man would not have had those thoughts in the first place.

Oh come on. I've made the very same joke, its a common expression/connection. Might not be "PC" but people aren't actually "PC", they just pretend to be. The guy has a personality for a change...

Ever heard this one? Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded.

Whats better than winning the special olympics? Not being retarded.

Its a joke...special olympics...riding the short bus...it was an off the cuff joke spurred by everyday vernacular that I and many people I know would have made in that situation. Does that make me not a compassionate man? You'd be surprised to know the things I've done in my life that relate to people who have special needs...and I have a family member who is mentally challenged. The jokes don't offend me because I understand the difference between making a funny remark and someone ACTUALLY having disdain and hatred towards people who are mentally challenged or the special olympics...

People get too uppity about language in this country, it is simply criminal that a minor slip of the tongue like that got as much press as it did with the serious issues facing this country right now.