Did A Good Deed....

ArmyofOne

So...today, I sold my 1996 Cavalier Coupe. This car was bulletproof. Couldnt be killed, i am convinced. I had not planned on selling it but something kind of fell in my lap.

A soldier I am in charge of has a 3 year old boy. His young boy was diagnosed with Lukeimia (Sp?)about a year ago. I dont know the details, but I can tell you the man offered me $1,500. It was $500 more than I paid. I told him I would sell it to him for $1000 which is what i paid and I have put about $500 in it, so i figured it was a good deal. He INSISTED on giving me $1500. So I took it. he had no car, needed something reliable (which it was). His wife is pregnant with their second (high-risk pregnancy), and with his sons hospital bills (prior to his entrance in the military), his credit was ruined to make way. His car was repoed, he lost his house all prior to coming into the military.

With all this, i offered just to give him the car, as they need it and I do not. They wouldnt have that, and insisted on giving me all but $500 of their savings.

Should I feel bad for accepting? The car is worth $1,300. I accpted $200 more than that, from a family that needs money and prayers in equal amounts right now. Their medical bills from his entry into service on are covered by tricare, however his son's first year of chemo/radiation was not covered. Chemo is alot of money.

Am I a selfish *BLEEP*?

Army of One, I am no wise man or anything like that but what I would have said was "pay me later" I'd say keep the money for now until the get out of the *!Removed!* hole (if they do(hopefully they do)) so then they can get through these hard times that pretty much everybody is going through. In times like these we all gotta help a brutha out.

You did good.

There is always seller's remorse. (Hell I missed my 89 corolla GT-S and that was far from mint)

If he had purchased a cavalier for $1000. Could he have all the work you put into it done for $500??

You're a good guy. Keep it up. Glad to see there are some good people left in the world. A car is a hard thing to part with when it's not problematic.

:cheers:

You did fine, Josh. You offered the car to them for free, but they still insisted on paying you for it. This sounds more like they were too proud (and I don't mean that in a bad way) to accept your generous "handout" than a question of your generosity.

You did fine, Josh. You offered the car to them for free, but they still insisted on paying you for it. This sounds more like they were too proud (and I don't mean that in a bad way) to accept your generous "handout" than a question of your generosity.

I took the money and put it back in the glovebox when I delivered the car today. I called him an hr later and told him to go look in the glovebox and call me back.

I left the cash, still rolled up, along with a gift reciept so he wouldnt have to pay sales tax for registration, and the signed title.

I also gave him a personal note to let him know if the car needs fixing while in their posession to let me know and I will fix it (providing they get the parts).

And no, If a shop was to do the work I had done to the car in the last 5-6 months, it would have been about $6-800.

I took the money and put it back in the glovebox when I delivered the car today. I called him an hr later and told him to go look in the glovebox and call me back.

I left the cash, still rolled up, along with a gift reciept so he wouldnt have to pay sales tax for registration, and the signed title.

I also gave him a personal note to let him know if the car needs fixing while in their posession to let me know and I will fix it (providing they get the parts).

And no, If a shop was to do the work I had done to the car in the last 5-6 months, it would have been about $6-800.

Army, props to you for recognizing your conscience and allowing the man his dignity. :cheers: