Need Help!

blake918

Yikes under 25deg. you should come down here for Mardi Gras(hmm, LOC Mardi Gras meet down here???)...by that time(a few weeks) it should be up in the 70's! My dad just got back from Chicago and he said he froze his a#s off in the -1 degree temps.

This is the same alternator; we haven't really worried about it too much lately because the car has been behaving well...until tonight. I'd like to try and find a way around an oem alternator because I don't want to spend $4-$500(which is steep for my teenaged pocket book!) on an alternator on a car that I don't plan on keeping for much longer(I've been eyeing some 97 ES's...I love that style). I guess I'll have to run(mapquest says 8.5-9 hour run...let's see if I can make that 7...I might need someone to come get me out of jail though...j/k!) over to JPI's garage if I can't ever solve this one!

:cheers:

you are putting alot of strain on a car by running all the high drain accessories at once especially at idle

if the batt light comes on

TURN THEM OFF immediatly and let the car high idle at about 2000 rpm for 2 minutes atleast to be able to keep some voltage inteh battery for a restart.

if the regulator isn;t up to par it will cause the alt to not put out enough so it is probaly a bad alternator

but i still say check the wires and replace the starter and main ground with new ones. They are the life blood of the electrical system to the car.

Don't ever let those guys at Autozone checkout your vehicles. They are just like you, they don't know anything about cars or LEXUS. Blake, I will get you a price tomorrow. If you can't figure the problem out, bring it down here and I will fix it right.

JPI

Here's a new theory...a common thread between all of the inceidents (when the battery light came) is the winshield wipers. My wipers really suck because they are extremely s-l-o-w. I turned on the wipers and noticed that the little wiper motor flinches with every wipe, and I noticed that the little motor gets really hot while the wipers wipe at an irregular speed on all modes(hi, low, intermit.). Is it possible that the old, tired wiper motor is trying to pull in extra volatge to keep the wipers moving?...which would then cause the alternator to bog down and kill the car? What do yall think??...I'm open for just about any suggestions at this point! Is it hard to change the wiper motor???

:cheers:

it is a possiblitiy but before you condem the wiper motor disconnect the arm mechanism and see if it moves freely first

i had a friend a week ago with his wiper motor in peices and i asked why

he said it was getting real hot and not moving

i asked if he checked the mechanism ,he said no

when he looked the passenger side wiper had gotten stuck behind its base holder ad would not move

he ot a cheap fix with alot of wasted time

i doubt that is your problem as it moves still but the mech might be rusted a bit and could use some lube