Water Pump Going Out?

DuaneG

I went and had some work done on my 93 LS and the guy said " Your water pump is going out. I saw some moisture on it. You should be fine in the winter, but I would not let it go too long." I am new to the Lexus world, but I thought if a water pump was going out I would KNOW it (overheating, puddles, etc.) I have no puddles in my garage and my reservior level has not changed in 3 months.

1. How will I know when my water pump is going out?

ALSO,

Attached is a pic of my temp gauge. Is this a normal range for city driving? Seemed a bit hot to me.

Thanks for the help,

Duane

post-76497-1237495044_thumb.jpg

I went and had some work done on my 93 LS and the guy said " Your water pump is going out. I saw some moisture on it. You should be fine in the winter, but I would not let it go too long." I am new to the Lexus world, but I thought if a water pump was going out I would KNOW it (overheating, puddles, etc.) I have no puddles in my garage and my reservior level has not changed in 3 months.

1. How will I know when my water pump is going out?

ALSO,

Attached is a pic of my temp gauge. Is this a normal range for city driving? Seemed a bit hot to me.

Thanks for the help,

Duane

I have had 5 different LS's over the past 15 years, and ALL of the Temp gauges have been right where yours is.

also, never had a water pump "go out"

cheers, bp

Your mechanic needs a house payment it seems! My water pump leaked for nearly a year before I fixed it myself. It is a very labor intensive repair and needs to be combined with a timing belt replacement at the same time.

Unless your timing belt is due to be replaced I'd tell him that you are on the LOC forum. He may change his tune then!

If you are not adding coolant every week, the moisture is probably just condensation or a lie.

Well, I cant see exactly where your needle is, because for some reason when I click on your picture of the gauge to enlarge the photo, it freezes my computer up (which is very strange), but it looks like its a little above that line, which is where it always is on my 91' LS400 and the exact same place it was on my old 90' LS400.

Photos of mine at its highest point. Even in 100° weather in city traffic with the A/C on, it never goes above this line... (yes the low coolant light is illuminated, its always on... my sensor is bad and has been since I have owned the car. I am not paying $82 for a new one.

100_8857.jpg

100_8856-1.jpg

Even if you paid $82 it's well worth it.

The coolant temp sensor has a HUGE impact on how your engine runs, and also a HUGE impact on your MPGs.

Here's a trick though.. Carson. The only place to buy OEM parts for CHEEEEAP.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=0

and another thing since I'm feeling in a good mood....

Coolant temp sensor for a 90-94 Lexus LS400 :D $49.91

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=214915

So I took a second read through that and realized you're not talking about the Coolant Temp Sensor lol :lol:

Hope that helps someone anyways!! :D

Give them a call and see what they can do for you. Tell them you can't find the part online.

Thanks for all the info.

My temp generally stays below the middle line, but it has been trending towards that line lately, so I will just watch it. BUt, does anyone know what are the warning signs of the water pump going out? I would rather catch it before it blows (if that's possible.)

D

Even if you paid $82 it's well worth it.

The coolant temp sensor has a HUGE impact on how your engine runs, and also a HUGE impact on your MPGs.

Here's a trick though.. Carson. The only place to buy OEM parts for CHEEEEAP.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=0

and another thing since I'm feeling in a good mood....

Coolant temp sensor for a 90-94 Lexus LS400 :D $49.91

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=214915

Parts.com has the OEM sensor for $41.57... http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?...or&siteid=2

I've found them to be the least expensive in most cases for OEM parts.

My water pump has finally bit the dust as well. I have 140 miles curremtly. What happened is the weep hole below the crank pulley has started to leak coolant. My temp gauge runs just over the mid mark and my coolant res is still showing full although I know there is next to no collant in the engine as it's all over my driveway.

Check for slight weeping under the crank pulley.

Hope this helps, I'm kind of looking forward to doing the water pump and timing belt. Will change the alternator and radiator as well.

Best of luck!

Thanks for all the info.

My temp generally stays below the middle line, but it has been trending towards that line lately, so I will just watch it. BUt, does anyone know what are the warning signs of the water pump going out? I would rather catch it before it blows (if that's possible.)

D

The warning sign is dripping!

Your mechanic needs a house payment it seems! My water pump leaked for nearly a year before I fixed it myself. It is a very labor intensive repair and needs to be combined with a timing belt replacement at the same time.

Unless your timing belt is due to be replaced I'd tell him that you are on the LOC forum. He may change his tune then!

If you are not adding coolant every week, the moisture is probably just condensation or a lie.

I think you're right. On other cars, when my water pump was going, I noticed I had to refill coolant frequently (3-4 times a year) long before I started to see a puddle.