What Gen Ls430 Has The Best Bang For The 2009 Buck!

Mrgimme

Well HELLO buyers market!

I am a brand NEWB lookin to get in the best ride of my life!

I just drove a 2001 LS430 with 81K miles for $15900 in South Florida (the best car I have ever driven in 47 YEARS!)

Then I thought I will need to drop $1200 in six months (I average 20k miles a year) for belts and pulleys

So I started thinking how 50-60K miles cars cost in the low 20s

Anything above that cost violates my never buy a car over 20 grand rule

I would really like bluetooth BUT I love a big cabin!

I am trying to lock in on a generation (of course the most recent are out of the question)

I looked here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS

and found the second revision of the 3rd generation (UCF30 II (2004) to be where I think I want to be

It does become a price performance mind busting matrix though is it better to spend 15 grand on an 01 with 81k miles or 20 grand on a 2004 with 51K miles or what about the guy who says heck for 20 I can buy TWO 1997-2000 with 74K miles!

Where is the sweetest spot in the third gen? 01,02,03,04 when you want TOP tech and MAX reliability plus whichever cabin/body offering the greatest room to spread out.

P.S. How does one become an expert at identifying trim levels? I want to check a serial somewhere or the vin in a website and know if it has the "fridge" the massager chairs in back (only right?) the laser cruise and the Euro tuned suspension.

I would buy the '04, personally. I think the styling is much better, more aggressive. The 04 has the 6 speed auto.

As for identifying trim levels, read around here lot of discussion on the subject. Its a great car! Big upgrade over the Buick ;)

Where is the sweetest spot in the third gen? 01,02,03,04 when you want TOP tech and MAX reliability

He wants the MOST technology! :P

But I agree with you. Every time I drive my '97 I am shocked that it's as old as it is. And from the right angle, it looks as new as 2000-ish model.

Well HELLO buyers market!

I am a brand NEWB lookin to get in the best ride of my life!

I just drove a 2001 LS430 with 81K miles for $15900 in South Florida (the best car I have ever driven in 47 YEARS!)

Then I thought I will need to drop $1200 in six months (I average 20k miles a year) for belts and pulleys

So I started thinking how 50-60K miles cars cost in the low 20s

Anything above that cost violates my never buy a car over 20 grand rule

I would really like bluetooth BUT I love a big cabin!

I am trying to lock in on a generation (of course the most recent are out of the question)

I looked here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS

and found the second revision of the 3rd generation (UCF30 II (2004) to be where I think I want to be

It does become a price performance mind busting matrix though is it better to spend 15 grand on an 01 with 81k miles or 20 grand on a 2004 with 51K miles or what about the guy who says heck for 20 I can buy TWO 1997-2000 with 74K miles!

Where is the sweetest spot in the third gen? 01,02,03,04 when you want TOP tech and MAX reliability plus whichever cabin/body offering the greatest room to spread out.

P.S. How does one become an expert at identifying trim levels? I want to check a serial somewhere or the vin in a website and know if it has the "fridge" the massager chairs in back (only right?) the laser cruise and the Euro tuned suspension.

the multiple buttons by the gear shift knob is a dead give away.. the square around the front logo is for the laser cruise control.. multiple buttons on rear arm rest and door trim...

Actually, the square around the front logo is for the radar cruise which was a later change over the laser cruise. The laser cruise sensor is located in the lower front grill. Same level as the driving lights. I like the radar over the laser because of 2 things. The sensor is not as easily damaged and it works better in the rain. Sometimes the laser can get confused by the raindrops or the glass face can be damaged by flying rocks.

Just my 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion.

Actually, the square around the front logo is for the radar cruise which was a later change over the laser cruise. The laser cruise sensor is located in the lower front grill. Same level as the driving lights. I like the radar over the laser because of 2 things. The sensor is not as easily damaged and it works better in the rain. Sometimes the laser can get confused by the raindrops or the glass face can be damaged by flying rocks.

Just my 2 cents. Everyone has their own opinion.

You should not be using cruise control in the rain. :chairshot:

I guess it might be different for cars with traction control/DSC, but if you somehow hydroplane with the cruise control on, it can be pretty tricky, especially with a rear wheel drive car. Kind of the same reason why I wouldn't use cruise control in icy conditions.