1996 Es330 Spark Plugs

Jim M

I did a search and didn't find any viable information on the installation/replacement on the spark plugs for this car. I'm installing new plugs for a relative's car and would like to know if anyone has any tips they could share. It looks like the rear three could be a bit tough. Any Advise and/or diagrams that would cover this?

Eh..you're right, they are tough. Personally, I removed the air intake to gain access to em; I've heard of people doin it somehow without doin this, but it's gotta be nearly impossible the way I see it. It's a good couple hour job if you remove the intake though. If you're still interested in doin it after hearin that, then just let me and everyone here know and I myself or probably alot of others can give you exact instructions for replacin em. ;)

I can't advise on how to replace them (haven't done it myself yet), but I'll give you personal experience on what to replace them with -- OEM plugs only!

My car's PO used Bosch Platinum plugs and had them replaced at the same time as they had new wires, cap and rotor replaced (was my father so I know it was actually done). This was 20K miles ago. I just had to have *all* the same work done again because the Bosch plugs apparently have VERY little platinum on them, and as the platinum wore away into the material beneath it the gap increased significantly, to the point where the spark started looking for a path of lower resistence and found it. The new path was through the rubber boot on the wires and to the block. I had melted boots around a couple of the plugs and the whole deal (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) needed to be replaced after being installed for only 20K miles. The Bosch plugs were $2/ea the Denso plugs were $10/ea. Having the whole job redone was $600, which if the right plugs had been installed previously, could have been avoided.

My repair guy (been my guy for 12 years on a variety of foreign cars) told me that w/ Lexus', there's quite a few parts that it's just not wise to use other than OEM. This from a guy who has always been very above board w/ me and saved me tons of $$ over the years by suggesting non-OEM stuff in repairs where it didn't matter.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. Yes, I'm still interested in doing to job myself. As mentioned by Lex3486, someone might be able to provide exact instructions for the job?

Please send me whatever information you can, it will be appreciated!

Thank you everyone!

I just did that job on my 92. I got the oem denso platinum plugs from a toyota dealership. I heard about other platinum plugs not doing so well so why save a couple bucks and take that risk...

I did use aftermarket borg-warner slicone plug wires because the stock wires were like 160 bucks for some reason.

I was able to change all 6 without removing the intake. it just takes a swivel ratchet and a couple 4" extentions. Make sure you get a spark plug socket (with the rubber grommet inside the socket) so that the plug comes out when its loose. It would be a real pain to fish that out of there wihtout one.

the front three can be accessed by removing the lexus cover plate on the front of the engine (2 allen bolts)

the only one that is a real stretch is the drivers side rear plug.

Are you cool with the personal messaging system Jim? If so, I can tell you how to do it via PM, but it'd be really long. I can get it straight outta the Lexus Repair Manual, although it's for a 93 model. I've never worked on a 96; we own one, but haven't yet done any service to it (knock on wood B) ) I'm sure they're close to the same, but if anyone here knows of any reason why they aren't, speak up now b/c I don't wanna mislead the guy! :whistles:

Well the second I posted that, I saw another member talkin about how they did it w/o removing the intake, so apparently it can be done that way. That's how I'd do it too if at all possible. I've just always removed it, b/c I was doin valve cover gaskets or such at the same time, so it was convenient for me to do the plugs at that time too. ;) But if you can, avoid it, b/c it's alot of extra work.