1995 Es300 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Hey I've decided on trying to replace the valve cover gasket in my 95 lexus es300... It doesn't look too difficult and it beats paying 400 dollars for a mechanic to do it. Doesn't seem to be a long job either. I just need a few questions answered before I bother to try it. I'm trying this tutorial I found online. This is the link: http://www.wjowsa.com/?p=30

1. Do i need to drain the engine oil before I do this?

2. Do I really need to leave the car off for 24 hours?

I think that's basically it i might have other questions i can't think of though.

I talked to my mechanic again over the phone he said i needed the valve cover gasket replaced and a plumbing gasket. i'm looking online and everything but i'm not seeing anything about a plumbing gasket. I guess i'll look into it in the diagrams... Is there anything else i'd need to know? I know i should get a degreaser engine cleaner, a towel to wipe it down some rubber silicone to help secure it better. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Wish you were closer, I'll be tearing my 92 apart in a couple of weeks for the valve cover gasket. It looks pretty straight forward and those pictures will probably come in handy.

And usually plumbing means your intake system, at least that's how we say it here in the Windy City...I would have him point it out when you pick up the car.

Hey I've decided on trying to replace the valve cover gasket in my 95 lexus es300... It doesn't look too difficult and it beats paying 400 dollars for a mechanic to do it. Doesn't seem to be a long job either. I just need a few questions answered before I bother to try it. I'm trying this tutorial I found online. This is the link: http://www.wjowsa.com/?p=30

I think that's basically it i might have other questions i can't think of though.

I talked to my mechanic again over the phone he said i needed the valve cover gasket replaced and a plumbing gasket. i'm looking online and everything but i'm not seeing anything about a plumbing gasket. I guess i'll look into it in the diagrams... Is there anything else i'd need to know? I know i should get a degreaser engine cleaner, a towel to wipe it down some rubber silicone to help secure it better. any help would be appreciated thanks.

#1. Go to auto-zone, advanced auto, napa, etc. and purchase a $20.00 haynes manual for that specific type of vehicle. In this manual you will find a detailed diagram on how to properly replace your valve cover gaskets. You will need RTV sealant, also purchased at auto-zone, to help seal the VCG onto the valve covers. Also, when you say "plumbing," theonly thing that comes to mind is the plenum gasket on the intake. If you have to remove the intake it's definitely in your best interest to replce it. Hope this helps and good luck!

bSt

#1. Go to auto-zone, advanced auto, napa, etc. and purchase a $20.00 haynes manual for that specific type of vehicle. In this manual you will find a detailed diagram on how to properly replace your valve cover gaskets. You will need RTV sealant, also purchased at auto-zone, to help seal the VCG onto the valve covers. Also, when you say "plumbing," theonly thing that comes to mind is the plenum gasket on the intake. If you have to remove the intake it's definitely in your best interest to replce it. You do not need to drain the oil out of the crank case unless debris accumulates into the crank case, so make sure you clear dirt, grease , etc. out of the way, keep it clean. As far as leaving your car off for 24 hrs., I would just make sure the engine is cool and then do it. Hope this helps and good luck!

bSt

finally got my car back yesterday from the mechanic he had to change the crankshaft seal, timing belt and water pump. but he kept having to take it apart and put it back together trying to find a leak that kept occuring. well the last leaks were the valve cover gasket. he did the front one without asking me first and charged me 100 more for it. the rear one needs to be done too along with my coils or whatever because one in the rear is misfiring and all. plus i have another leak coming from the tube on the left side of the relay or fuse box forgot what it's called i'm guessing that's the plumbing gasket that needs to be replaced. he said for the rear vcg with spark plugs and all it'll be 300.