Extended Warranty - Worth It?

I know this was covered before, but is the extended warranty worth it? I have 48 K on my 2007 IS. I also remember someone mentioning a dealer in Greenfield MA who sold the extended warranty for less money? Opinions?

I use these guys:

http://www.warrantydirect.com/

Absolutely awesome service. I have a Suburban that's two years out of regular warranty, but is covered by the WD aftermarket extended warranty that I bought. Zero deductable, everything is covered. Something breaks, I take it to any shop, the shop calls WD, WD approves the repair (they've never denied anything, from little stuff through major components, including electronics), WD gives the shop a credit card number, and the shop fixes the car.

Buy the WD warranty early, the earlier the better, as the prices, then, are very low. Here are the details of my WD deal on my pre-owned IS250.

2007 IS 250

Covered Vehicle 2007 IS 250 VIN: JTHBK26267XXXXXXX

Lexus Warranty 48month/50,000mile starting 30APR2007

Contract Term 72 months / 100,000 miles

Coverage SECURE CARE

Deductible Zero ($0) deductible

Purchase Date/Selling Price 2008-11-17 / $1,907

Vehicle In-service Date/Mileage 2007-01-01 / 22,850

Expiration Date/Mileage 2014-11-17 / 100,000

Dealer 15898: WARRANTY DIRECT INTERNET AUTO

Do the online quote for a good ballpark, but don't sign up. Call WD and ask for a sales rep. They are authorized to knock a few hundred more off the computer price.

Not a lot of response to this on the forum. But GS forum had quite a bit of info. I will tell you this.

I did call the dealer they spoke about on that forum (In Central MA) and he did give me a great price of $1070 for extended to 5yr/100000 for Lexus Platinum Extended Factory Warranty (I currently have 48000). So I went back to my dealer - who really takes great care of me - they wanted $1625. I asked them to match the other guys verbal price. And they did! I am glad they did, they know that I will bring it to them for service and at the end of the day make money on the deal.

Not a lot of response to this on the forum. But GS forum had quite a bit of info. I will tell you this.

I did call the dealer they spoke about on that forum (In Central MA) and he did give me a great price of $1070 for extended to 5yr/100000 for Lexus Platinum Extended Factory Warranty (I currently have 48000). So I went back to my dealer - who really takes great care of me - they wanted $1625. I asked them to match the other guys verbal price. And they did! I am glad they did, they know that I will bring it to them for service and at the end of the day make money on the deal.

are you sure it's 5 years? That's only one extra year on your current warranty. That's not worth $1,000.

TEX,

I have had the car 22 months and have 48,000 miles. By 24 months I will have 50,000 (END of factory warranty which is 4 years OR 50,000 miles).

The extended the warranty to 5 years or 100,000 miles, which adds three more years and 50,000 more miles to my warranty. I will hit 100,000 in two more years, or at year 4.

• 2 weeks later...
I know this was covered before, but is the extended warranty worth it? I have 48 K on my 2007 IS. I also remember someone mentioning a dealer in Greenfield MA who sold the extended warranty for less money? Opinions?

It was my understanding that you can get a Lexus dealer to certify it (like a preowned) while it still had factory warranty to the CPO warranty.

It was my understanding that you can get a Lexus dealer to certify it (like a preowned) while it still had factory warranty to the CPO warranty.

Yes and you must pay them for that.

I wouldn't buy the CPO warranty, the CPO warranty is non-transferable. Buy the Lexus Platinum extended warranty. Cheaper, the same, and is transferable if you sell the car.

I bought the extended warranty and it paid for itself and then some and I paid retail for it. If you can buy it for $900 or something like I've seen online...I'd consider it a no brainer.

SW03ES

You are quite correct - and that is what I did.

I bought the Lexus Platinum Warranty for $1070 from my local delaer (which is the same price as the guy on-line in Greenfield MA wanted for it). Originally my local dealer wanted $1625 but they agreed to match the internet price.

You are correct it is transferable and that is one of the great things about it - it adds value to the car - if I decide to sell instead of keep.