Radio Loses Sound, Not Power

For the past 6-9 months I've been having an intermittent problem with my radio that has gotten worse of late. Usually a couple of seconds after I start the car after it sits for a while (overnight, after work) the sound to the radio cuts out. Not the power, the dash still lights up. If I turn the radio on and off many times, it sometimes will come back on, it will eventually come back on its own after ten minutes or so, will sometimes cut back out and turning it off and on once or twice will get the sound back as well. Sometimes the sound will come back as full power static that will scare the pants off of you. Dealer says it could be the radio or the amp. Problem is I cannot be sure when it will happen or how long it will happen so it is tough to have it there for them to look at it while it isn't working. This doesn't even address the dilemna of getting a radio replaced for $600 on a 2000 GS300 with 140,000 miles on it.

For the past 6-9 months I've been having an intermittent problem with my radio that has gotten worse of late. Usually a couple of seconds after I start the car after it sits for a while (overnight, after work) the sound to the radio cuts out. Not the power, the dash still lights up. If I turn the radio on and off many times, it sometimes will come back on, it will eventually come back on its own after ten minutes or so, will sometimes cut back out and turning it off and on once or twice will get the sound back as well. Sometimes the sound will come back as full power static that will scare the pants off of you. Dealer says it could be the radio or the amp. Problem is I cannot be sure when it will happen or how long it will happen so it is tough to have it there for them to look at it while it isn't working. This doesn't even address the dilemna of getting a radio replaced for $600 on a 2000 GS300 with 140,000 miles on it.

From what you describe it is the amp.

Thanks. It is frustrating that I ask this to the dealer and they say it could be either thing, I need to bring it in for them to look at. I know they are instructed to do this as it is easier to make a sale on this or anything else with me there, but from your reply it seems a bit more black and white. I appreciate it.

Thanks. It is frustrating that I ask this to the dealer and they say it could be either thing, I need to bring it in for them to look at. I know they are instructed to do this as it is easier to make a sale on this or anything else with me there, but from your reply it seems a bit more black and white. I appreciate it.

Your welcome :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely your amp i have had this problem well over a year and just got fixed, if you have radio shop check your amp output i guarantee it is shot, that spark when it kicked back on does scare the *BLEEP* out of you....Mine was mark Levinson with navigation, dealers want 550-900(depending on dealer, sewell was best priced) for new one and then trade in of your old one. Lexus then sends to a company who i called to remanufacture they will only deal with lexus and not repair for you....Get the part number off amp and look on ebay for tested one i just got lucky and got one however i know on the 2001's there was a recall so now i run the chance of having this one go to if it hasn't been remanufactured to fix the glich the originals had. what is your p/n? you can call lexus with you Vin number and they will tell you if there is another compatible p/n along with the amp you already have so then you may have two different amp part numbers you can search for on ebay.....They got u by the balls either way, i paid 319.00 on ebay for the used one tested and guaranteed........Only other option is to get aftermark and then they have to rewire and deal with all sorts of problems and its expensive........I can't tell you how many times i would come out in the morning and my car was dead cuz i didn't unplug my amp and in the middle of the night it kicked on and drained the battery dead......

Your welcome :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what exactly goes wrong with these amplifiers? Is the fault the result of aging/leaky electrolytic capacitors, insulation breakdown in an inductor, cold solder joints, etc. ?