Over Priced Dealer... Suggestions?

tfulmino

We presently own a 2005 RX 330. We have been having it maintained by the Lexus dealer in Tampa, Florida since we got it. However, we are trying to find other options/suggestions on where we can get oil changes, etc.

Can someone please provide some incite?

Thanks in advance!

We presently own a 2005 RX 330. We have been having it maintained by the Lexus dealer in Tampa, Florida since we got it. However, we are trying to find other options/suggestions on where we can get oil changes, etc.

Can someone please provide some incite?

Thanks in advance!

Your local Toyota dealer will be alot less expensive for work on your Lexus. After all Lexus is made by Toyota.

Here are a couple examples from my experience.

1. I recently bought new rims and tires and tire pressure monitor sensors(TPMS). My Lexus dealer wanted $350-$400 to program the new TPMS to my car. I took it to a local Toyota dealer and they did it for $95 BIG DIFFERENCE.

2. Oil change at my Lexus dealer $54. Oil change at Toyota $29.99

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Dittos here for taking my Lexus to the local Toyota dealer.

I bought a CPO'd 2008 GS 350 in July. Recently, the "oil maint reqd" light came on. There's a Lexus dealer about 30 mins from my office but not on the way home, but there's a Toyota dealer about 20 mins from my office and on the way home. Plus, the Lexus dealer's service department is not open in the evenings, while the Toyota dealer's service department is open until 9pm.

I went to the Toyota dealer's website and was able to make an on-line appointment for the same evening. When I got there, I initially had some qualms about Toyota service techs being able to work on a Lexus, but asked the service tech if they had the parts and know-how for my car. "No problem" he said.

The dealership had a clean, comfortable waiting room, not ultra chic like the Lexus dealership, but they had free Starbucks coffee and free wifi. I'll take the trade off. :D

The bottom line is I was out of there in just under an hour and paid $32 for the oil change. I think I would go to the Lexus dealer for any "serious" work, but I plan on going back to the Toyota dealer for oil changes and other routine things.

One chuckle: The porter (obviously) spends his days shuttling Toyotas and Scions. When he brought my GS 350 around, he had a big grin on his face and said "that is a nice car".