Can't Shift Gears

when i tried to start my engine after just parking it in place, the engine made a weird sound and i couldn't shift gear. The button on the stick that you need to press to change gear can't be pressed and therefore my car can't shift gear.

I tried to restart the engine again, and then i clicked the over ride button, the engine did not sound weird again, and there is no noise when i shift gear. but, now i have to press o/r button everytime i want to shift gear, how do i fix this?

when i tried to start my engine after just parking it in place, the engine made a weird sound and i couldn't shift gear. The button on the stick that you need to press to change gear can't be pressed and therefore my car can't shift gear.

I tried to restart the engine again, and then i clicked the over ride button, the engine did not sound weird again, and there is no noise when i shift gear. but, now i have to press o/r button everytime i want to shift gear, how do i fix this?

Don't know about the weird sound, but could it be the brake pedal switch? (Which allows gear shift when pedal is depressed?)

• 4 weeks later...

Just had this same problem with my wifes Lexus.

Don't keep trying to shift the gears trying to get it to move, by doing so you may damage the gears.

My wifes threw two codes before this happened and didn't tell me about them until she rolled up into the driveway and the car wouldn't move anymore.

It turned out to be a costly fix at $3400.00 take it in and get it checked before anymore damage occurs.

Zeke