Heat Sheild(s)

NicLX470

I used to have a rattle coming from underneath my truck at about 70k miles......it ended up being the heat sheild. It was very loud and rattled at any RPM cold or after the engine has heated up. It was replaced and now I am at 96k miles and I hear something similar coming from under the truck only after cold starts and just for about 30 seconds until the truck heats up. So I looked under the truck and I notice 2 catalytic converters. So my question is......are there 2 seperate heat sheilds and possibly they only changed one? Or is the heat sheild in a totally different place than I think...which is around the catalytic converters? Any opinions will help!

• 1 month later...

For anyone that may have this question later. Come to find out there are MANY heat shields that will crack and start to rattle over the years. Pain in the !Removed! but they are cheap...100 dollars to fix this last rattle. Can't wait for the next one!!

• 1 month later...

I likely have a similar problem. Any good method of detecting which heat shield is making the rattle? I can't seem to make it rattle just by revving up the engine and listening for the noise at a stand still. Mine seems to only rattle when the car is in motion, just before gear shifts to next level. Once engine is warms, the noise goes away. Thanks for any advice.

I likely have a similar problem. Any good method of detecting which heat shield is making the rattle? I can't seem to make it rattle just by revving up the engine and listening for the noise at a stand still. Mine seems to only rattle when the car is in motion, just before gear shifts to next level. Once engine is warms, the noise goes away. Thanks for any advice.

I wasn't able to tell on my own. The dealership had to figure it out but they never had a problem. Happened 2 times and has been fixed right the first time in just a few hours.