Ml Stereo Volume Is Frozen In 2002 Sc 430

I recently installed a Parrot Bluetooth kit into my 2002 SC 430. Everything on the bluetooth was working fine, so I reinstalled the ML head unit. However, when I turned on the radio I found that I could not adjust the volume. Same behavior for CD player. Neither the knob on the head unit or the steering wheel buttons will change the volume. I was playing with it last night and found that I also could not adjust the bass/treble/fade settings.

I pulled the battery cable last night to reset everything. Waited fifteen minutes and reconnected the battery. No change in the radio behavior.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas how to fix it?

As I asked on ClubLexus (I'm "Kansas" over there), what method did you end up using to install your Parrot ... Quickconnect harness or similar, external speaker, mute wire to the amp per the info I sent you that Jainla provided to me?

I also see on ClubLexus that you "Added a VAISTech SLU unit to provide 2 Aux In connections for the stereo". I don't know if that has any effect but it adds something to the mix.

I wonder if an audio system connector could have been left unplugged or poorly connected before you reassembled the dash.

More information is needed ... give us a complete rundown on how you installed your Parrot.

As I asked on ClubLexus (I'm "Kansas" over there), what method did you end up using to install your Parrot ... Quickconnect harness or similar, external speaker, mute wire to the amp per the info I sent you that Jainla provided to me?

I also see on ClubLexus that you "Added a VAISTech SLU unit to provide 2 Aux In connections for the stereo". I don't know if that has any effect but it adds something to the mix.

I wonder if an audio system connector could have been left unplugged or poorly connected before you reassembled the dash.

More information is needed ... give us a complete rundown on how you installed your Parrot.

Jim,

Here are the details.

1. Installed the VAISTech SLU to give me the Aux In port. This used an inline harness that plugged straigt into the head unit, with the other end connecting to the original Lexus harness. that worked great. No issues.

2. Installed the Parrot 3100 Bluetooth kit. Purchased a quick connect harness with that. That harness plugged into the original Lexus harness just like the SLU, so they are now daisy chained. I am certainly wondering if that is the problem.

3. I currently am using a separate speaker (sitting in my back seat) for the Parrot. I ran wires into the trunk from the Parrot harness that I will eventually splice into the door speaker wires going into the amp, but for now did not touch the original speaker wiring as I wanted to get everything else working first, hence the speaker in the back seat.

4. The radio muting came as part of the Parrot harness I bought. Therefore it is hitting the mute line going into the head unit.

I think that's about it. Without some further advice from anyone I plan to disassemble the center console again and try all possible combinations of Head Unit, Bluetooth and SLU to see if the volume only freezes in certain configurations.

Joe

Joe,

I suggest you try the Quickconnect harness without the VAIS to see if it works. I've been suspicious of the application chart for Quickconnect since I think I see some errors in it.

Those VAIS units seem to have a mind of their own. You have a great idea to try daisy chaining the Quickconnect and the VAIS the other way. Maybe the VAIS people could help -- they may have seen this before.

Well ... at least the mute is working ... that's important.

Joe,

I suggest you try the Quickconnect harness without the VAIS to see if it works. I've been suspicious of the application chart for Quickconnect since I think I see some errors in it.

Those VAIS units seem to have a mind of their own. You have a great idea to try daisy chaining the Quickconnect and the VAIS the other way. Maybe the VAIS people could help -- they may have seen this before.

Thanks. My first thought is to merely disconnect the mute wire and see if that has any effect. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Joe,

Thanks. My first thought is to merely disconnect the mute wire and see if that has any effect. I will keep you posted on my progress.

UPDATE

I disconnect both the VAIS SLU and the Parrot and reconnecting the ML Head unit. Worked perfectly. No problem changing the volume.

Then changed the configuration again, this time adding in the Parrot with their Quick Connect harness. Again the radio worked fine and the Parrot did as well.

One more try. This time, no Parrot, just the VAIS SLU plugged in. Volume was frozen again. I tried to start over with the SLU and program it from the beginning and no luck. It would not perform the install like it did the first time. No beeps heard. I called VAIS, expliained the situation and they suggested I send back the SLU and the harness for it as they think one of them is bad. Mailed it off today.

Will keep you posted on this when I get it back.

Joe