92 Ls400, Worth The Trouble.

thetonic55

Ive had my LS400 for over a year now. Has 395k on it. Im debating if its worth keeping and putting the money into it. Currently runs great. But has the dreadful PS leak. trac control is out and front break calibors need replacing. Also, the alarm is randomly going off. I know Lexus are ment to last forever. But at 400k im starting to double think about putting money into getting it fix. Just wondering how far it will last past 400k. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Ive had my LS400 for over a year now. Has 395k on it. Im debating if its worth keeping and putting the money into it. Currently runs great. But has the dreadful PS leak. trac control is out and front break calibors need replacing. Also, the alarm is randomly going off. I know Lexus are ment to last forever. But at 400k im starting to double think about putting money into getting it fix. Just wondering how far it will last past 400k. Any insight would be great. Thanks

I'm really not quite sure how much after 400k the LS400 will go but if I was you, I would definately get it fixed, specially since it still runs strong and the repairs you mentioned are not really that expensive. I mean, investing a couple of hundred dollars is really not so bad if you are happy with your car.

No car is meant to last forever. I punted my 90 LS400 in 2003 at 183,000 miles due to wanting more modern technology -- particularly better headlights and other safety features. I spent an average of about $1,000 per year on repairs and maintenance during the final four years of ownership. I think the current owner is at over 275,000 miles and he is still fixing problems as they arise. He is more of a DIY guy than I am.

If you are satisfied with your 92 LS and it is in otherwise good condition, then by all means have the problems fixed -- it's probably still cheaper than buying a replacement car of a similar type.

I had my PS pump replaced or rebuilt several times over the 13 1/2 years I owned my 90 LS -- it's just something to deal with. I suggest you fix it soon and/or made a drip guard for your alternator so it doesn't get ruined like mine did.

If you can do without the alarm, you can probably disconnect it. I got by without the TRAC option on my 90 LS so I know having it isn't critical ... the TRAC on the gen 1 LS wasn't considered to be particularly good anyway.

You've had your 92 LS only one year ... I assume you knew what you were getting into when you bought an older, high mileage car. Lexus cars are well made but they are far from being bulletproof.

It will go forever bro.

In just over one year on my old 91 LS I went from 114k -186k miles. and it still ran strong. Part of me misses it but MOST of me is in love with my 97 :wub: lol

Exactly where is the PS leaking? From the pump or rack? It may may be time, as suggested, have the pump replaced/rebuilt. When you do, be sure to have the solenoid screen cleaned. You may want to do the solenoid screen regardless, while I know it won't stop the leaks, it could help minimize them cause a clean screen should reduce overall pressure in the PS system. Something to think about.

definitely do that solenoid screen in the power steering rack as suggested earlier ..... that is not that difficult and it can save you tons of trouble .... I think only Lexus Owners Club Members know about that little secret ....

These cars are so great .... I dread the day mine dies ..... it is like a great swiss watch .... how can you really junk it, you know? It makes me sick to even think about it .... but obviously .. nothing can really last forever .... meanwhile, I do oil changes and fluid changes sooner ... not later ... and I drive my car lightly most of the time ... my neighbors think I am crazy cuz they see me out in the drive way waxing my car ..... quite often .....

truth is I am seriously thinking of an upgrade ..... I am in a 95 LS today .... and I am starting to look at 2004 LS cars these days that are very low milage .....

Desided on keeping it going to do full brake job this weekend. As for and the solenoid screen.. Is it a fairly easy job? My fathers a fairly good mechanic. So luckly I dont have to pay for labor. And going to try and push it 600k if it will make it no idea what the world record is but would be intresting. I remember reading a post about a website that had a lot of DIY guides in fixing repair parts. Couldnt find it If anyone has the link.

Also, thanks for the imput. I`ll keep an update on the mileage. I make a round trip about 250 miles away to pick up my son 3 times a month so they`ll add up quick.

Chad

One random thought is that Congress is mulling a bill to give a $3,000-$5,000 credit, not just a tax credit, for trading in a car over 8 years old for a new car. Interesting idea-they are doing it in Germany to help new car sales. The new car has to get at least 27 mpg highway. If it passes, I'd be interested, even though I'd buy a small car, not a Lexus. My 15 year old LS400 is a wonderful car, but with 120K miles, the next major repair, like P/S leaks, cannot be far away. The A/C is already broken, and summer is coming here to Las Vegas. So maybe people should wait a while with their old Lexus-might be worth the wait if the bill passes....