New Virgin At This Forum

Edgar Picazo

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I'm really exited to be part of a very knowledgeable clan.

My 95 LS 400 last time I checked it at Auto Zone due to the check engine light on two codes came up, I cannot remember the codes but one said misfiring and the other speed sensor. The vehicle needs to warm up in order for the Cruise Control to work, also when it's cold and I try switching from D to 3rd gear and the light on the gear selector or indicator i doesn't light up nor recognizes 3rd until it's warmed up for several minutes. Does this make sense? also when I start it up for the first time I can hear like a bunch of water running through the dashboard like it accumulated. sorry if I'm not explaining my self well, just bought this car for 2500 here in Dallas and it has 290.000 miles, the car runs very well and the body is intact. Any help and tips are appreciated.

Hi Welcome to the LOC,

A misfire could be due to many things but go for the plugs, leads, rotor arms and distributor caps if these are due for replacement.

Were the codes cleared and have they since returned?

The transmission will not shift into top gear until it has warmed up so moving the shift will have no effect until then. It is not a fault but there to protect the transmission when cold, it may be that the cruise control is limited in the same way until transmission warm up.

Speed sensor faults can be caused by the ABS wheel sensors on the hubs being where they are exposed to road crud can cause problems so check them and the wiring to them and clean off any dirt or metalic filings. Also check the toothed wheels for damaged teeth as these can also affect the sensor outputs. Faults in this area can affect the cruise control as well.

Hopefully minor problems easily and cheaply sorted then just enjoy the LS400 experience!

welcome to the Forum Edgar from the great state of Texas! (whats with T.O. and the Cowboys man?)

you've come to the right place! you dont remember the codes? hopefully someone here can point out a quick solution to your troubles.

You can use the search option at the top-right of the page to search the Forum - and that will probably answer most of your questions about your car. i've used it many times and found the solutions to most of my issues.

I have a 95 LS as well...sweet car aye? enjoy the ride and keep the bail money handy for them cowboys! :lol:

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and I'm really exited to be part of a very knowledgeable clan.

My 95 LS 400 last time I checked it at Auto Zone due to the check engine light on two codes came up, I cannot remember the codes but one said misfiring and the other speed sensor. The vehicle needs to warm up in order for the Cruise Control to work, also when it's cold and I try switching from D to 3rd gear and the light on the gear selector or indicator i doesn't light up nor recognizes 3rd until it's warmed up for several minutes. Does this make sense? also when I start it up for the first time I can hear like a bunch of water running through the dashboard like it accumulated. sorry if I'm not explaining my self well, just bought this car for 2500 here in Dallas and it has 290.000 miles, the car runs very well and the body is intact. Any help and tips are appreciated.

First: Go back to autozone and write down the code numbers, as trying to figure this out without the computers help could, and probably would, cost 10 times as much with the "hit n' miss" approach.

Second: Transmission Fluid: Take it to a Toyota dealer and have them replace the fuild with new oem stuff.

Third: Fluids in general: At those miles, I'd have every fluid in the car changed, to be honest. Unless you know everything in there is new oem fluild already.

Fourth: It's doubtful, but possible, you have a hinge wire loose in the trunk, along the trunk's hinges. This effected the earlier models of 90-94 the most, almost nonexistant in the 95', but some of your symptoms sound exactly like what happens to those models when their littel black wire get's pinched at the hinge. It's been a few years since I've had my 95', and don't recall a black wire, but never had to look for it either.

You've got to get the codes though man, otherwise we're pretty much flying blind!

Hey welcome to the club.

The first trick I'll give you is this website. www.lexls.com All the tutorials are for the 1st gen. but a lot of them translate over to the 2nd gen as well.

I've never heard of the trunk harness being a problem in the 2nd gen... but IF it is a problem..

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html

:cheers:

welcome to the club !! .... this club can save you soooooooooo much time, energy, and most of all, money $$$$$$ !!!!!!!

I also have a 95 LS ..... I am lucky to have a great independent mechanic who is a Toyota guru .... however ... he had never heard of something I learned here at the club:

you have a small solenoid filter screen in your power steering rack that might be very dirty, or clogged. If it is dirty, your power steering will start to leak (due to higher system pressure). The solution is to simply remove and clean this little screen ..... if I were you, I would plan on doing this little service item some time soon just to be sure about it .....

You can find more information about this subject here, of course .....

basically it works like this:

locate and remove this fragile, small little screen ..... then put the solenoid body back together again minus the filter screen ... then flush your power steering system.

clean the screen very carefully (very, very, fragile)

re-instal the screen and then refill your system using the correct OEM fluid.

by doing this service item, it will be insurance against a power steering problem later ..... my independent mechanic charges me about $110 for this entire process. He thought it was pretty cool to learn about this ... it helped another customer of his who also owns an older LS ....

you are good to go!

hope this helps ....

.... this club can save you soooooooooo much time, energy, and most of all, money $$$$$$ !!!!!!!
That, my friend, is an understatement!! I agree 100%

Edgar, you've already gotten great advice here. Good luck.

Guys thank you so much for the tips given. I really want to know why is there a sound of water through the dashboard? When I start it in the morning I can hear water so I don't know if it's accumulated because of a clogged hose or something. Any help will be appreciated.