Comparison Analysis With Rx400h

I am planning to buy a used RX (2008 or 2007) soon. I am unable to decide between 350 and 400h.

I have been researching at various websites about the comparisons between the two models.

My only motivation for buying a 400h would be the fuel savings. Since I live in Texas, so AWD is not necessary for me.

I am sure some of you current owners of RX 350 must have faced similar dilemma and done your research.

I would appreciate if you can share it with me and also tell that why did you go with RX 350.

Thanks

I am planning to buy a used RX (2008 or 2007) soon. I am unable to decide between 350 and 400h.

I have been researching at various websites about the comparisons between the two models.

My only motivation for buying a 400h would be the fuel savings. Since I live in Texas, so AWD is not necessary for me.

I am sure some of you current owners of RX 350 must have faced similar dilemma and done your research.

I would appreciate if you can share it with me and also tell that why did you go with RX 350.

Thanks

I believe the kind of driving you do (city/road) really affects the comparative mileage. If you only drive highway, don't use your brakes much, I believe the mileage of each the two (RX350/400h) has got to be very close to the other. However, if you re-generate electricity (charge) with lots of braking and use up gas stopped at red lights, I would assume the mileage difference is much greater. -- I chose the RX350 because, at 5000 miles (est. per year) that I put on each car, and, say, 50% city and 50% highway, the difference in price (of gas) is negligible compared to the additional outlay of funds at purchase. So, if you can define the kind of driving (and no. of miles) you do, you should be able to calculate savings (or not) of the 400h vs. the 350, even just by using the EPA stated city/highway miles for each. Of course, a desire to be 'green' or 'greener' cannot be measured in $, not are the additional environmental costs of mining etc.. associated with the construction of the 400h.

I have been driving a 400h for the past 3 months while my 350 was in for service (is that gonna be a story when I get to type it in) :angry: . But, after getting back in the 350 - I find that it is much quiter while accelerating. The 400h gets a lot of noise generated by the air intake since it keeps revving higher and higher where the 350 is downshifting and keeping the rpms lower. Also, the rumble when the gas engine kicks in - particularly when you back out of a parking space - it sometimes feels like you hit something or someone hit you - will take some getting used to.

In doing my math -I got about <20% better city mileage - so after 100k miles I should recoup about 20k miles and at 20 mpg avg city about 1000 gallons of gas and at $2 per gallon about a $2000 savings. Not enough incentive to get the 400h at about $10k premium in price.

Plus, the 400h uses the 330 gas engine with lower hp and timing belt (needs replacement at 90k miles??) while the 350 has about 50 more hp and has a timing chain. And, I've heard the batteries are about $7k to replace, but I don't know how long they last.....