Rear Abs Sensor

Just wondering if anyone has replaced theirs or knows how to change the right rear abs sensor in a '00 ES300. I found the part for a cheap $150 and would like to pop it in. I have heard it involves removing the back seat. Not sure. Thanks in advance.

Bryan Kluth

Taking out the rear seat is not difficult,, not sure if its neccessary or not, jack up the car, remove the wheel, find the sensor and follow the wire to see where it goes, somewhere along the way there will be a connector it may be in the wheel well, or it may be behind the seat, or even under some trim panel. There is a chance that the sensor design on the '00 is the same as it is for mine, if it is you can save some serious $$$$ by going to a junk yard. Reember that under all the glamour the es is still just a Camry..

Capn

Taking out the rear seat is not difficult,, not sure if its neccessary or not, jack up the car, remove the wheel, find the sensor and follow the wire to see where it goes, somewhere along the way there will be a connector it may be in the wheel well, or it may be behind the seat, or even under some trim panel. There is a chance that the sensor design on the '00 is the same as it is for mine, if it is you can save some serious $$$$ by going to a junk yard. Reember that under all the glamour the es is still just a Camry..

Capn

Yes, that's correct Jack the car, remove the tire, unsrew the bolt that holds the sensor, follow the wire and the connector is behind the backside of the seat. Disconnect the connector then tie a string to the connector, slide it out through the hole by pulling it down and out. Then tie the new wire at the connector plug and pull gently through the hole and connect in Reversed manner. After installation you need to reset code, using paper clip at diagnostic panel and ignition key, follow your manual for instruction or simply using a scanner tool (OBD2) code reader. Same as the 1999 up to 2001 ES300 procedure. I have a used one if anyone needs it (free), let me check which side.

• 2 weeks later...

Capn

Yes, that's correct Jack the car, remove the tire, unsrew the bolt that holds the sensor, follow the wire and the connector is behind the backside of the seat. Disconnect the connector then tie a string to the connector, slide it out through the hole by pulling it down and out. Then tie the new wire at the connector plug and pull gently through the hole and connect in Reversed manner. After installation you need to reset code, using paper clip at diagnostic panel and ignition key, follow your manual for instruction or simply using a scanner tool (OBD2) code reader. Same as the 1999 up to 2001 ES300 procedure. I have a used one if anyone needs it (free), let me check which side.

Thanks again. Just did the replacement and didn't even require string although I had it around.