Scratched Nav Display Screen

I'm embarrassed and mad at myself for this one. I was vacuuming out my vehicle when I noticed a lot of dust on my NAV screen. I decided to "lightly" hold the vacuum nozzle over the screen and run it across the screen (no sense in using one of the 15 or so soft clothes I had in the trunk). Well of course, I immediately made a horizontal scratch across the screen which looks completely ugly. The damage is cosmetic "only", the touch screen works fine, but I'm really bummed out every time I get in the car now. Short of replacing the entire unit itself, does anyone have any solutions to replace the outer screen or to take the scratch out (wishful thinking I'm sure). Thanks in advanced.

I'm embarrassed and mad at myself for this one. I was vacuuming out my vehicle when I noticed a lot of dust on my NAV screen. I decided to "lightly" hold the vacuum nozzle over the screen and run it across the screen (no sense in using one of the 15 or so soft clothes I had in the trunk). Well of course, I immediately made a horizontal scratch across the screen which looks completely ugly. The damage is cosmetic "only", the touch screen works fine, but I'm really bummed out every time I get in the car now. Short of replacing the entire unit itself, does anyone have any solutions to replace the outer screen or to take the scratch out (wishful thinking I'm sure). Thanks in advanced.

Bummer!!! sorry to hear that.

You could have a go at polishing the mark away with a small amount of toothpaste constantly kept wet on your finger. BE warned that if there is an anti glare low reflective coating on the window you are going to have to polish that all away completely. The mark the cleaner pipe made will cut away even if it is quite deep. The manufactures of tooth paste especially in the land of the free are not making anything overly harsh so this will take some effort.

Sorry to hear about that.

Toothpaste will not be abrasive enough. I would advise using a series of polishes. From a local standpoint, you could try Meguiar's Plastx. I've had ok success with it, but prefer the multi-polish method better.

Thanks to you and the others for your suggestions. I'll give it a try.

Toothpaste will not be abrasive enough. I would advise using a series of polishes. From a local standpoint, you could try Meguiar's Plastx. I've had ok success with it, but prefer the multi-polish method better.

sold in europe: http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx...E6-86A75E7BBC71

XERAPOL Scratch Remover - Remove scratches from acryl glass and plexiglas

Remove scratches quickly and easily with Xerapol - perfect for Cars (Cockpit / lamps / wood trim), Motorbike screens, Caravan / Boat Windows, bathroom furniture and Acrylic glass furniture

Objects made from acrylic glass tend to scratch very easily and this often makes them look shabby.

This is a particular problem in acrylic glass parts in cars, motorbikes, caravans and mobile homes, boots, aircraft and furniture. Wood trim finishing in cars also gets scratched very quickly.

XERAPOL offers an astonishingly simple solution for this widespread problem. This new special polish paste allows users to quickly and cheaply remove scratches themselves. The acrylic glass shines again as bright as new.

With XERAPOL the material is lightly dissolved and polished with fine abrasive particles. The edges of the scratches are rounded off and the fissure bottom is filled in. This returns the surface to its former smooth and shining glory.

XERAPOL Use:

Clean the surface and apply a little paste. Using a soft, clean cotton cloth or pad polish the scratched areas using heavy pressure for 2-3 minutes.

For deep scratches repeat application several times. Remove residue with a cloth. Very deep scratches should be treated beforehand with special abrasive paper (granularity: 1600) and a little water. Polish afterwards with XERAPOL.

Do not use on any printed, varnished or coated surfaces

I wouldn't suggest you try toothpaste, it might have an adverse affect on the "material" used in the display screen. I know toothpaste is used to remove or "sand down" windshields and mirrors, however, using toothpaste might diminish the area even further or put more scratches in its place.

I would suggest you check with someone at lexus or even a detailer at lexus, bmw, or mercedes and find out if they can recommend any solutions to the problem.

Regards,

Ali