Selling Our 400h...is The Price Too High?

I'm selling our 2006 400h and have had it listed on Craigslist at $31,990 for a week with only one response, but no follow-though. On Friday I also listed it on AutoTrader, but again, no response. Am I asking too much? KBB retail on the car is over $36K and private party is over $33K.

It has 36K miles, nav, very clean, no accidents, non-smoker, etc. It's actually a lease that terminates in mid-May, but I'm trying to sell it, hoping I can make enough to cover a few month's payments, considering I've already leased another car due to a good deal that I got...

What do you think I should be asking for it to get some interest???

Have you tried looking up asking prices for other 400hs by private sellers? The market for high-end vehicles is a bit soft right now for obvious reasons.

That's a bargain price if it was in Canada.

Local car import companies in Calgary would ask for around 42K CDN for a US imported used one like yours, and that price would still be a deal for buyers as Canadian RX 400h are still very high.

Another place to check prices is Ebay, under "completed listings". If the vehicle catagorized under completed listings is marked in red, the price was too high, and if they're marked in green then that price was just right. Are you selling because you 'have to' ?? ... or are you looking to get the 2010 with all the high tech/new goodies.

Good Luck!

Edit:

ok I did a quick search & found this as the range ... if the links don't work it's because you have to be signed in & logged on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1308

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1308

Thanks for all of the responses! :)

I don't have to sell it, however it would be nice to avoid making double car payments for one more month...we already leased a 2009 Prius as a replacement car (to lower our payments), because Toyota isn't making any more 2009s (the 2010 is coming out shortly and is a completely new body style) and they were offering some great incentives on what they have left of the current models.

The economy definitely is having a major effect on the pre-owned auto market, particularly luxury autos... I have a 2005 LS430 that I bought for $44K in mid-2007. Now it's worth mid-20s tops...good thing I have absolutely no intention of getting rid of it!

Oh well, if I don't sell it, I can always just turn it in when the lease expires in mid-May. Or I can try lowering my sell price closer to what the residual cost is...

Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the responses! :)

I don't have to sell it, however it would be nice to avoid making double car payments for one more month...we already leased a 2009 Prius as a replacement car (to lower our payments), because Toyota isn't making any more 2009s

. . . . . . . . . . snip

Not exactly right (btw, OUR 2nd car it the Prius too, and a few others here have the same two cars as well) . Aparently, in order to compete better with the new Insite, Toyota WILL continue to make the Gen II Prius, as well as the Gen III. My understanding is the continued Gen II models won't have high end goodies like the present Gen II offers, much less the killer stuff that'll be on the Gen III. I've test driven the Gen III. All I can say is, "WOW".

Edit:

Here's a link to the Insite competitor Prius version:

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/toyota-plan...ight-25635.html

I'm selling our 2006 400h and have had it listed on Craigslist at $31,990 for a week with only one response, but no follow-though. On Friday I also listed it on AutoTrader, but again, no response. Am I asking too much? KBB retail on the car is over $36K and private party is over $33K.

It has 36K miles, nav, very clean, no accidents, non-smoker, etc. It's actually a lease that terminates in mid-May, but I'm trying to sell it, hoping I can make enough to cover a few month's payments, considering I've already leased another car due to a good deal that I got...

I just purchased a 400h identical to what you're explaining. However ours has 32K miles and also is certified qith the 100,000 mile warranty from Lexus. We also bought ours from the Lexus dealership and we only paid $26,500. So I believe you have yours listed a little high, especially in the economy status we are all currently in.

Thanks,

BarryT

In the Garage:

06 Lexus RX400h (White)

04 Lexus GX470 (White)

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a 400h identical to what you're explaining. However ours has 32K miles and also is certified qith the 100,000 mile warranty from Lexus. We also bought ours from the Lexus dealership and we only paid $26,500. So I believe you have yours listed a little high, especially in the economy status we are all currently in.

Thanks,

BarryT

In the Garage:

06 Lexus RX400h (White)

04 Lexus GX470 (White)

$26,500 including taxes etc?

Way too high. I was at the Lexus dealer today, and they are selling NEW 2008s for $38k fully loaded (they have like 12)

Hey Johnny, welcome!

Hey, Thanks :)

I saw those $38k at the dealers but they were FWD, they didnt have any AWD at the dealership.

I thought I got a really good deal at about 2-3k under edmunds and kbb value but maybe i was wrong :) although I did see on ebay that someone sold one for $33k so I dunno.. but were any of those 12 AWD?

Hi, Just joined yesterday after I saw your post. We just purchased our third Lexus yesterday-a 2006 RX400H for me. My husband is driving a 2003 GS300, and our daughter is driving a 1997 ES300. I looked a lot for our RX400h on every internet website I could find. I do think you might be a little too high by about $1000 to $1500.

I wish I could buy in some of the other areas in the US! Here in southern CA I found 2006 RX400h's anywhere from $38,000 to $29,000. The mileage also greatly varied. We wanted a 2006 with low miles and AWD. I did find one at the dealer in Mission Viejo-Bamboo Pearl with 19,000 miles for only $31,999 but it was 2WD. Beautiful car and a great price compared to all the other ads we found.

We finally went to an independent dealer so the car is not certified but it only had 17,700 miles and it's dark blue with AWD and has the Mark Levinson sound upgrade. We were able to get some money off and got the price down to $30,400 before taxes, etc. That seems thousands less than what many other dealers are offering.

We did see some private seller ads and they all seemed pretty close to the $30,000 mark. I would stay under $30,000 since the dealers can offer their certification. If we had found a private seller close to us with low mileage and AWD we would have been all over it if the price had been under that.

Good luck! I am so excited about my new car!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife's commute changed from 20+ miles in heavy traffic to 6 miles (with easy traffic).

Anybody interested in a 2006 RX400h with AWD, Mark Levinson, floating Xenons, Nav, bluetooth, 35,000 miles and a clear title?

It's silver with black leather.

We are looking at another convertible and already have another AWD SUV. This makes our RX a "high priced" 2nd car... ;-)

Thanks, Joe

$29,500 obo

josephlowery3rd@hotmail.com

DC area