Lexus Rx400h Acceleration

Hi there.

My grandpa owns a Lexus RX400h, and I'm soon goin' to drive it by myself.

My question is:

Is it possible to accelerate and hear the devil inside the engine, while in neutral?

Or would that *BLEEP* the car up? (Thinking about the electric motors taking over from the start... would that mess it up, if it were in neutral?).

Or is the fuel engine taking over from the start in Neutral?

Thank you very much for the answers.. :-)

Nope it wont rev in park or nuetral. Maybe to 2000 rpm but that about it

What do you mean by "rev"?

Sorry, but I don't know alot of abbreviations :-)

Would it make a sound or is it just quiet? (is it even possible to accelerate in any way, just to hear the sound without accelerating?)

Thank you very much.

To put the answer more firmly, NO. In neutral & park the HSD (hybrid synergy drive) is designed to NOT rev. Think about it. There's no point. Why would you need to? There is no mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and the fuel system. When you step on the pedal, fuel delivery is all controled by the HSD's ECU's (electronic control units ... which are like mini computers) and the ECU's are only programed to deliver fuel when the HSD is shifted into "forward". So unless you have the car in forward, your ECU's don't supply fuel.

when i put mine in neutral and floor it it will go to 2 to3000 rpms, mechanics still have to have a way to get the ICE running during service when needed, so hitting the accelerator in neutral will certainly do that, so i dont understand why you say no fuel is delivered.

• 2 weeks later...
when i put mine in neutral and floor it it will go to 2 to3000 rpms, mechanics still have to have a way to get the ICE running during service when needed, so hitting the accelerator in neutral will certainly do that, so i dont understand why you say no fuel is delivered.

Oh! I stand corected! And I'm surprised. After reading your post, I went out and tested the 400h 'rev' factor, over the weekend. Ours works just the opposite from what you're describing. Now I KNOW I've put it in 'some' gear shift position that caused 'nothing' to happen. Our 400h rev'd up the opposite from what you're saying (in neutral vs Park). When ours is put in neutral (and the ICE is warmed up, but not running) ... nothing. But when the shifter is in park (presuming the ICE is warmed up) and the ICE is turned off/in stealth mode, the ICE WILL kick on, but (as you stated) it'll only idle up to maybe 1,500 or so ... maybe higher ... but hard to believe it's 3K .... but who knows. Our Prius won't turn on / idle up in either ... so I wrongly presumed the 400h was the same, since neutral was the same. Are you certain it was 'neutral' that you got your hybrid to idle up? Was the ICE not running? Curious.