Brake Squeaking

hey i have a 93 SC400...im not sure what is going on because when and ONLY when i go in reverse...i can hear some serious scratching and squealing...im puzzled because i think if the brake pads needed replacing, they would squeal 100% of the time, not just in reverse...hmm any suggestions ?

It could be any number of things.

Pull off the wheels and take a look.

Look closely at the back wheels. The parking brake may be out of adjustment.

You may have a retaining clip that has come loose and it only allows slop in reverse.

Your pads may be worn just right (or wrong) to make the sound.

Your system may be in need of a good bleeding/flushing due to old fluid.

Now I know my 92 has an issue where is squeaks on the front at certain times due to the fact that the front control arm bushings are worn. The torque of the engine and certain movements in the right direction has made my wife think it's the brakes squeaking, but it's actually the suspension.

Your parking break is probably hanging up, Set the parking brake hard and reset a few times, This will readjust them. Good Luck :cheers:

i think you MAY have been right! because it went from severeeeee squealing to now its basically gone...every now and then i hear a tiny squeal...but now that i tihnk of it, when i was deliverin pizza the other night, i had to park on an inclined driveway where i had to really applly the E-brake up and a few times! hopefully this has done the trick because i bought pads but dont have a clamp so i cant do them yet lolol :D

thank you for the replies ! i'll keep you posted

• 4 months later...
Your parking break is probably hanging up, Set the parking brake hard and reset a few times, This will readjust them. Good Luck :cheers:

i think you MAY have been right! because it went from severeeeee squealing to now its basically gone...every now and then i hear a tiny squeal...but now that i tihnk of it, when i was deliverin pizza the other night, i had to park on an inclined driveway where i had to really applly the E-brake up and a few times! hopefully this has done the trick because i bought pads but dont have a clamp so i cant do them yet lolol :D

thank you for the replies ! i'll keep you posted

I just read this, in searching for a solution to a similiar problem. You deliver pizza in an sc400? AWESOME!!! I hope you still get tips when they see that.

hahah yeah man i deliver in a navy blue sc400 with loud pipes :lol:

as far as tips go, it goes both ways...some (RARE) people say i have really nice taste in cars and tip well based on that, and others see the L emblem and don't tip at all... :(

"why should i tip you when you obviously have no need for money "

they just see the car and assume im rich beyond what i know what to do with so it kinda stinks...as far as the brakes go, those are long fixed...it needed new rear pads thats all :rolleyes:

Did you do the labor yourself? because to me that sounds like someone or some shop did not take their time while they did it and put it on crooked or too tight or just half-assed something...that stinks man i'd take it back to who ever did it and tell them to look it over <_<

aw man that stinks...that sounds exactly what happened...my mom has had nothing but problems with people installing brakes on her camry...700 dollars later and we still get both ABS and BRAKE lights solidly on.... :censored:

the only thing to do is take it back to them man and tell them whats going on...the worst they can do is look at it and dounble check their crappy installation