Weird Light? Help Please!

LexusNut1985

Hey guys I am new here but I have a problem with my 2001 RX300. The other day a light came on but I have no idea what it is. When I checked the manual it just said bring to a lexus dealer. Can anyone please help me out so I know whats up before making a trip to the dealer. Sorry the pic is blurry but I think you get the idea. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

post-90331-1237079306_thumb.jpg

Hey guys I am new here but I have a problem with my 2001 RX300. The other day a light came on but I have no idea what it is. When I checked the manual it just said bring to a lexus dealer. Can anyone please help me out so I know whats up before making a trip to the dealer. Sorry the pic is blurry but I think you get the idea. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I have a 99 RX 300 and a 09RX350. The RX300 has 'regular' headlights, the RX350 has the Xenon headlights, which adjust 'up' and down' depending on the position of a sensor on the back right suspension. The sensor 'senses' how low the vehicle is on its suspension in the back and counter-acts this by adjusting the HID headlights. The RX350 manual shows a warning light design similar to the one you showed, that would indicate a failure of that system. Reading at other places in this forum, it appears the sensor itself is often subject to corrosion. The warning you see probably indicates that your headlight adjustment is not working, if you have automatically adjusting headlights.

that picture you posted above, is that from the gauge cluster or the manual? The pic shows black icon against white background- in the gauge cluster, it should be yellow icon with black background.

Yeah, most likely though, your sensor is corroded for the auto-leveling system... Just pop out the bulb in the gauge cluster. If your headlights are aimed too low, manually adjust the height via the adjustment screws behind the headlights.

that picture you posted above, is that from the gauge cluster or the manual? The pic shows black icon against white background- in the gauge cluster, it should be yellow icon with black background.

Yeah, most likely though, your sensor is corroded for the auto-leveling system... Just pop out the bulb in the gauge cluster. If your headlights are aimed too low, manually adjust the height via the adjustment screws behind the headlights.

Alternatively, you could have it repaired or change the sensor if that is the problem, and continue to have headlights that adjust according to charge. I generally do not 'hide' a problem by removing the indication of it, but by solving the root cause. Otherwise, it is like breaking the thermometer so as to not see you have fever....

Alternatively, you could have it repaired or change the sensor if that is the problem, and continue to have headlights that adjust according to charge. I generally do not 'hide' a problem by removing the indication of it, but by solving the root cause. Otherwise, it is like breaking the thermometer so as to not see you have fever....

LOL agreed :D

The auto-leveling only takes effect if you have a whale in the back seat or something weighing the engine down... I really can't see spending over $300 to have a new sensor put in for something that isn't really "needed" or ever used. That's why i suggest just bi-passing the faulty switch and manually controlling the height by controlling resistance or just using the adjustment screws...

The auto-leveling only takes effect if you have a whale in the back seat or something weighing the engine down... I really can't see spending over $300 to have a new sensor put in for something that isn't really "needed" or ever used. That's why i suggest just bi-passing the faulty switch and manually controlling the height by controlling resistance or just using the adjustment screws...

Yes, the intention is precisely so you don't have to manually adjust your lights in the event of a load. I also have the RX300 without such adjustment and we drove it with a not-abnormal load from FL to MI. The headlight adjustment needed, on the highway with hway speeds, was huge, if one cared about not blinding incoming traffic, which we do. Particularly with HID lights, blinding incoming traffic is extremely rude and dangerous and selfish. Elsewhere on this forum, there are instructions on how to take off the sensor, clean it, replace it. The procedure is pretty simple to do. if I wanted to save money, I would do it , or I would buy a sensor and replace it myself. But to each his own.

Yes, the intention is precisely so you don't have to manually adjust your lights in the event of a load. I also have the RX300 without such adjustment and we drove it with a not-abnormal load from FL to MI. The headlight adjustment needed, on the highway with hway speeds, was huge, if one cared about not blinding incoming traffic, which we do. Particularly with HID lights, blinding incoming traffic is extremely rude and dangerous and selfish. Elsewhere on this forum, there are instructions on how to take off the sensor, clean it, replace it. The procedure is pretty simple to do. if I wanted to save money, I would do it , or I would buy a sensor and replace it myself. But to each his own. I'm now 'out' of this discussion.

If you know you're carrying a load, then you would just move a switch and the headlights would lower. You could get a resistance controller from radio shack and have it wired for less than $20 and you'd have the convenience of controlling the height whenever you please from the cockpit. It's certainly easier than buying a new sensor. It's how i have my rx300 headlights wired up, that's why i suggested it. It's cheap and simple, and convenient.

I have no idea why anyone would spend over $300 for a new external sensor when you could control it manually for $20. So yeah, i'm "in" this discussion because i know what i'm talking about. I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.