Keyless Entry On Sc400?

tylersc400

i just bought a 1994 lexus sc400 a week ago. now i know that it has a factory alarm on it because of the blinking light on the dash. but what i want to know is, did this year and model come with stock keyless entry? i didn't recieve a keychain unit and i was wondering if i should have. any help would be appreciated. thanks

AWJ I don't think he got the button. That's why he's askin. Humm....I would check for any wires behind or below the dash that looks like they hook up to an alarm or little box.

When I got my 4runner, the guy said that there was an alarm but he said that it "died" a long time ago. He gave us the button thingy and everything. So I opened up the dash and saw the wires, NOT CONNECTED! So all I did was tie them together, and tape them up with some handy dandy electrical tape and my keyless/alarm worked.

So yeah, make sure you have an alarm, not just some fake blinking light.

Umm, all lexus SC's had keyless entry on the key itself stock. If you don't have the transponder key, you will need to get one in order for it to work. Otherwise you can use an aftermarket system to do the same thing with an external transponder unit. Also, there is a switch beneath the steering wheel on the lowest dash panel that will activate and deactivate keyless entry on the SC's.

i do have that key with the button on it. the key came with no battery in it. i wasn't sure what it was for. i guess i just assumed the keyless entry would be a seperate unit from the key like an aftermarket alarm. thanks alot for your help. ill put a battery in it and im sure it will work fine. thanks! :D

tyler

• 1 month later...

If the keyless entry doesn't work after putting in a new battery try reprogramming it as if it was a new key as follows:

Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position

Put original key in ignition and pull out

Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times

Close the door and open the door

Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times

Put the Master Key in the ignition, turn it on and then off and remove from the ignition

You should hear a confirmation beep within 10 seconds and the door locks should actuate

Push the button on the new key

Push the button again on the new key

That should do it!!!

good luck

Marty

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a situation with remote access. My 92 sc400 remote access key is now no monger operational. Dealer wants low-mid $300ish for key and computer chip, programming (simple replacement not an option). Looking at 3rd party alarm/remote entry, and remote entry. Stock alarm is tied into the door locks. Sotck alarm is also rather limited. I am looking at having a Clifford Arrow 5 alarm/remote entry system. Installed well under $300.00. As it will trigger the door locks, it will also, per technition, provide for BOTH alarms to work together. In addition, I will get a remote trunk release function, and a 3rd channel for dome lights, whatever, and a panic function. Sounds better than just replacing my now failed remote key etal. Thoughts?

Mike

92 sc400 modified

I also have a situation with remote access. My 92 sc400 remote access key is now no longer operational. Dealer wants low-mid $300ish for key and computer chip, programming (simple replacement not an option). Looking at 3rd party alarm/remote entry, and remote entry. Stock alarm is tied into the door locks. Stock alarm is also rather limited. I am looking at having a Clifford Arrow 5 alarm/remote entry system. Installed well under $300.00. As it will trigger the door locks, it will also, per alarm installer, provide for BOTH alarms to work together. In addition, I will get a remote trunk release function, and a 3rd channel for dome lights, whatever, and a panic function. Sounds better than just replacing my now failed remote key etal. Thoughts?

Mike

92 sc400 modified

• 1 month later...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, .........

but I am of the understanding that 1998 and above are programable to a replacement key. 1997 and earlier you have to buy a transponder key(s) with matching chip that installs on a computer module (as I recall) located behind the passenger seat. Thus the high cost recited for the '92.

• 1 year later...

I just bought a 1993 SC400 and one of the keys needs a new battery. My question is what kind of battery is it? The people I bought the car from must have taken out the original one because when I opened it up there was nothing in it.

• 3 months later...
If the keyless entry doesn't work after putting in a new battery try reprogramming it as if it was a new key as follows:

Put the Master Key in the ignition, turn it on and then off and remove from the ignition

You should hear a confirmation beep within 10 seconds and the door locks should actuate

That should do it!!!

good luck

Marty

I tried to research this subject a while ago and remember the exact instructions on this issue. I purchased my SC400 (92) a couple of months ago and the original transponder key had no battery in it. I purchased a spanking new battery, did the whole set up thing and it didn't work. I tried today to try it again and it didn't work again. I know that the alarm is working - a few days ago AAA guys unlocked my car and it went off... quite loud alarm... I stopped it by unlocking driver's door with the key. The battery in transponder seems to be fresh. The dealer said that they don't program transponders even ones that came with originally... smells like BS...

Has anyone else experienced difficulties resetting their keys? How did you resolve it?

Yea, I was never given a transponder key with mine either, when I went down to the dealer, guy told me that they would have to order new key and reprogram it for $300. I know theres got to be another solution, alarm works, I set it off trying to fix trunk hatch with car locked, its quite loud.

I just recently had my keyless entry die so i went a bought a new battery and replaced it and i didn't have to do any reporgraming or anything just put it in and it worked. By the way i have a 92 SC

Tune your radio to 94.9. Press your key button. If you hear it on the radio, the key is working. Reprogram as above. If not, your transponder in your key is shot.

That should do it!!!

good luck

Marty

I tried to research this subject a while ago and remember the exact instructions on this issue. I purchased my SC400 (92) a couple of months ago and the original transponder key had no battery in it. I purchased a spanking new battery, did the whole set up thing and it didn't work. I tried today to try it again and it didn't work again. I know that the alarm is working - a few days ago AAA guys unlocked my car and it went off... quite loud alarm... I stopped it by unlocking driver's door with the key. The battery in transponder seems to be fresh. The dealer said that they don't program transponders even ones that came with originally... smells like BS...

Has anyone else experienced difficulties resetting their keys? How did you resolve it?

I have a 1997 SC400. I bought a remote on e-bay from some place in NY. The instructions tto program were similar to the above except it said to turn the key on and off once when inserted the first time. I tried it once with the above instructions and it did not work. I tried it again with the change noted above and it worked. The remote cost me $42.00. on e-bay. The next day tanother one came up and it sold for $25.00. There appears to be several solutions for key problems on e-bay. Buy the way I have purchased 2 SC400 on e-bay along with numerous parts ans have been satisfied with all purchases.

That should do it!!!

good luck

Marty

Hi Marty!

I am also having trouble with my keyless remote on my 94 sc 400.

I turn the keyless remote on underneath the dash and press the button on the key.

The door begins to lock and unlock 5 times. When it is finished the door remains locked and you can only unlock it manually when it is finished. I tried what you suggested above but no luck. Do you think the contacts need to be cleaned in the door panel.

thanks for the help

Buck