Car Shuts Off Completely While Driving

Hey I have encountered a problem that has started with my es yesterday after i took it to get my oil changed at kauffman tire. I have been driving around with it last night and today and every now and then it will randomely shut off completely. The lights will flicker the music cuts in and out and I lose power at the wheel completely for half a second to sometimes a second and then it reboots itself. After it reboots the ABS light comes on and stays on for about 5 seconds. What can this be?

I'd start off by checking battery cable connections, making sure they're clean and tight. If that's fine maybe you should take it somewhere that they can check the charging system to verify that it's ok.

so you're saying only thing it can be is the battery?

Not necessarily. I like to check the simpler and more probable issues first. Loose cables, bad battery, or dirty poles will cause problems like you're having and the battery is among the simplest and lesser expensive to check out first :) Keep us posted.

Ray

So I had my battery and alternator checked yesterday and they were fine. Mechanic said to have my car checked at the lexus dealership. I really hope they find the problem :(.

That sounds strange. Please let us know how you turn out. I hope it doesn't hurt too bad when you see the bill.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd start off by checking battery cable connections, making sure they're clean and tight. If that's fine maybe you should take it somewhere that they can check the charging system to verify that it's ok.

The car does not need the battery to run, only to start. You should be able to disconnect the battery from any running car and the car should stay on. The function of the alternator is to provide electrical power to the car and charge the battery. This is how to you can test your alternator. If you disconnect your battery and the car shuts off, it usually means there is something wrong with the alternator or there is another electrical problem.

If this happens randomly while driving, could be a lot of things. Hopefully its not something major.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be careful with this method of checking your alternator, it could cause a large spike in voltage as the battery is a "buffer" for your charging system absorbing voltage spikes and compensating for other abnormalities... it does sound like an alternator failure. does the car start right up after it dies? if it does then battery and connections at battery should be ok..look at ecm relay and fuses for loose and or corrosion.. check for voltage drops across all grounds.. there are hundreds of reasons for this failure in general, good luck

• 10 months later...
So I had my battery and alternator checked yesterday and they were fine. Mechanic said to have my car checked at the lexus dealership. I really hope they find the problem :(.

I have the same issue with my 2004 ES330. Did you take yours in to the dealer? If so, what was the diagnosis?

I had a similar issue and fortunately the reason was simple for me. The metal piece that goes over the battery and holds it in place was loose. While driving it would sometimes slide and make contact with the positive terminal (thus causing a short circuit, since the metal piece is connected to the body and hence grounded). When this happened, all electrical systems would shut down, navigation display would flicker etc. This only happened while taking a turn (hence sliding of the metal piece) and then everything came back to normal.

Based on my experience, I think something is causing a short circuit in your car.