What Is The Purpose Of The Clear Thick Plastic On The Rear Doors &

peteanello

My white '09 ES350 has a small piece of clear thick plastic on the exterior rear doors, at the bottom towards the rear of the vehicle and two more pieces on the rear wheel wells towards the front. Is this something that should have been removed by the dealer prior to delivery? If it is some sort of paint protectant, aren't there more obvious places to put the plastic?

My '09 ES350 has a small piece of clear thick plastic on the exterior rear doors, at the bottom towards the rear of the vehicle and two more pieces on the rear wheel wells towards the front. If it is some sort of paint protectant, aren't there more obvious places to put the plastic?

I guess that you are right in saying "Is this something that should have been removed by the dealer prior to delivery?" At the same time it is hard for me to believe that the dealer just goofed up and missed removing such an obvious thing. The dealer will prep the car before delivery and during that process all protective gear which has been put on and within the car in preperation for its transport to the dealer are removed. May be an oversight by the dealer?

I would just call the dealer and ask the above question.

Regards, a1

The car is a little dirty but I think you can see what I am talking about. Of all the cars I've owned over 40 years, I don't recall ever getting rock chips in these locations.

I have a tungsten pearl and it looks ditto, I had asked the sales person before taking delievery 2 weeks ago. I have been told that it is just a normal part how the lexus has done it. These two pieces ( one front and one rear rocker pannel on each side of the car) in my car are of tungsten pearl i.e. the car color. I guess its normal.

'hope it helps. a1s1a1

Its normal. The body features flare out right here making them suscepitble to wear and chipping. If Lexus put it there, there was a reason.

Ever seen the MB CLS? It has a big clear plastic shield on the rear doors.