Should I Have To Pay For A Loaner Car?

FZ6 Dude

Hi,

I dropped off my 2006 RX 330 this morning b/c of a check engine and VSR light. They also had to replace a window seal. I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow. They had to give me a loaner car, becuase they said they could not get to it right away. I was told it was going to cost me $5 a day to cover paperwork on the car. Granted, not a lot of money, but is this necessary since the car is still under warranty?

Thanks

If the vehicle is in the shop for warranty work taking more than 6 or 8 hours, I believe Lexus pays the dealer for you to have a FREE loaner car.

Some dealers charge a small $5 or $10 fee for loaners for non warranty work, mine doesn't.

lol.. some poor soul is going to end up buying that loaner....

Dealers do try to nickel and dime you more often than not, but $5 isn't bad... besides they're having a hard time as it is staying profitable.. I mean.. we drive lexus'es eh Lexi.. whatever... they're not in for repairs too often so they gotta stick it to you when they can!

that is a completely bogus charge, $5 for paperwork...come on! I believe that they state on their website that you'll get a free loaner. some dealerships may ask you to refill the gas, but they don't really stick to it. hey, even one time, my dealership filled up MY tank.

yeah sure, it's only $5, but just imagine where else they are nickle and diming you. I would certainly write a letter to Lexus HQ to let them know.

Randy,

If you happened to read my article correctly, you would noticed that I was not "b*tching" as you so eloquently put it, just simply enquiring if my experience with a loaner was typical of others that received warranty work on their car.

Keep up the good work my friend.

I find it interesting that anyone would !Removed! about paying a piddley fee for a loaner car. My dealer usually gives me a new ES350 for $10.00, I can drive it all day, and I don't have to pay for gas!! I doubt that there is anything in the warranty that states that Lexus dealer will provide a free loaner car?

That $5 is probably for things other than paperwork. Probably covers for the gas that people forget to refill, the insurance on the loaner, cleaning the loaner, and the maintenace of the loaner. I've seen the fee charge at our store, but not on warranty work though.

The cost of a loaner (for warranty work lasting longer than a day) was already priced into the what the OP paid for his new Lexus. He shouldn't have to pay any "surcharge."

@Randy&Bonnie: Actually it does specifically state that Lexus will provide a free loaner in the warranty. Yes I agree that $5 is a small amount, something the OP is not disputing. I would say it actually reflects more poorly on the dealership charging $5 though, than someone asking why they were being charged $5.