Help! Alignment Issues And I Need Some Advice!

My posts here, unless otherwise stated, are either my personal opinion or facts, just like any other member.

The problem is that you take offense when questioned or worse yet corrected (as a member). Then you proceed to either close the thread or distribute warnings (as a moderator).

All this jabber jawing over an alignment problem? I have an 07 is250. I did read the owners manual when I bought the car and saw the note on low tire mileage which I was ok with. My complaint is about the lack of alignment adjustability.

The front camber can be adjusted only so much and that is it. It is set that way for handling. My front tires were not cupping but wearing on the inside edges which caused me to replace them. Yes I had 18,000 miles on them but the rest of the tire had many more good miles in them. I think that lexus should fix that part of the car. Just my 2 cents as I really like the car and have had no other problems except for the brake dust issue that my dealer took care of.

My posts here, unless otherwise stated, are either my personal opinion or facts, just like any other member.

The problem is that you take offense when questioned or worse yet corrected (as a member). Then you proceed to either close the thread or distribute warnings (as a moderator).

It won't be a problem for you for the next 30 days.

Look guys. Everyone knows that tires that come from the factory are crap. They only last 10k miles and wear funny. You guys need to go get you some top of the line michelins and try them out. Also the summer tires for these cars are soft and do not last long anyway. If you are worried about this then go get a Ford Taurus.

Look guys. Everyone knows that tires that come from the factory are crap. They only last 10k miles and wear funny. You guys need to go get you some top of the line michelins and try them out. Also the summer tires for these cars are soft and do not last long anyway. If you are worried about this then go get a Ford Taurus.

Does a Ford Taurus have a camber adjustment?? :rolleyes:

Haa I have no idea but you can get maw maw tires that last 150k miles with white walls with the crappy 16" wheels and tires.

I see Randy&Bonnie went back and erased all his posts?

It appears my experience isn't acceptable, and my "club reporter style" contributions are meaningless.

I've deleted practically every one of the 744 posts I made to reduce as much of my carbon footprint as possible…. Global warming is everywhere.

The childish condescending threats when a member's comments don't agree with the management or moderator's thinking are ridiculous and nauseating.

The grade school censorship is stifling. So I think I'll take my marbles and play with kids that are a tad more mature ….

Besides, my wife said I've been bad and I need a time out.

You guys can enjoy yourselves without this old man's worthless opinions.

RANDY

post-42851-1238288080.gif

Just cause your old, it seems, doesn't mean your mature. Bye......

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have any suggestions where to get the tires aligned besides the dealership? ANy favorites in the atlanta area? I am convinced that the dealers are not willing to help on this issue and would prefer not using them. The tires are cheaper at Costco, thank you Michelin for coming up with a low profile tire with a warranty!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions where to get the tires aligned besides the dealership? ANy favorites in the atlanta area? I am convinced that the dealers are not willing to help on this issue and would prefer not using them. The tires are cheaper at Costco, thank you Michelin for coming up with a low profile tire with a warranty!!!

I just had my IS aligned at Firestone after purchasing tires online. I bought their lifetime plan for $149. I got the same plan for my Honda about 5 years ago and it's sweet to be able to take the car in for a check or whenever you buy new tires knowing there's no additional cost for an alignment. With the cost of a single alignment around $70, the plan on the Honda has paid for itself over and over. Hell, Lexus wanted $157 for a one time deal.

I just had my IS aligned at Firestone after purchasing tires online. I bought their lifetime plan for $149. I got the same plan for my Honda about 5 years ago and it's sweet to be able to take the car in for a check or whenever you buy new tires knowing there's no additional cost for an alignment. With the cost of a single alignment around $70, the plan on the Honda has paid for itself over and over. Hell, Lexus wanted $157 for a one time deal.

A good recommendation. I was wondering about that since Lexus was a little spendy for an alignment.

I need some advice from ANYONE who has heard anything similar about what I am going through with my IS250. I have had problem after problem with this car and I am about to pull my hair out!! The car is an '07 with 27k miles on it. I am currently in need of my THIRD set of tires on the front and am on my second set on the back. Let me first mention that I do not drive this car hard.....never over 70mph and I baby it to the point of ridiculousness. Anyway, we took the car back to the dealership when it had less than 10,000 miles on it because although there was very little wear on the back tires, the front tires were cupped so extremely that the road noise was horrendous and it felt as if the vehicle was out of alignment. Anyway, the lexus dealership argued that the vehicle met specs, and it could not be an alignment issue. They suggested that we contact the tire manufacturer because the tires were probably defective. We argued back and to make a long story short, lexus put two new tires on the front and "fixed" the alignment problem (that they originally said did not exist). We've heard the whole "they are sport performance tires, so don't expect them to last much more than 15,000 miles" but I just took the vehicle by a shop yesterday and once again the front two tires are not worn excessively, but excessively cupped unevenly and need to be replaced. This repair shop checked the alignment and although it read to be within lexus's specs, we were told that it is so close to being out of spec that I will never be able to keep tires on the car because of the camber (not sure if I am explaining this just right). They also told us there is no way to repair this issue by just "aligning" the vehicle. Now I am in the process of contacting Lexus again, but I am afraid that what I'll hear is....the vehicle meets specs, end of story. I am just SICK thinking that my first "luxury" car will be one that will cost me a small fortune in tires and drives worse than our Chevy Pickup that has 200k miles on it!! Not to mention I've had MANY other trips to the shop with this thing.....squeaky dash that had to be removed, rotting trim around windshield, etc. If anyone can give me ANY advice on what to do at this point I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Wow, what a thread. So FWIW, I did my first oil change on our 09 IS250 AWD (man that is one EASY oil change!). Also rotated the tires and gave them a good look. We did have some of the same issues that have been mentioned in this thread on our 07 IS. In fact, that is one of the reasons we traded it in on an 09. I'm happy to say that with 10K on the car, the treadwear seems pretty even. I'll be looking real close in another 5K, and leading up to it, to see how the tires wear, but so far so good. Not sure if it will make a difference, but the 07 had the Dunlops, and the 09 has the Bridgestones. Both tires do very well in the snow, by the way.

Wow, what a thread. So FWIW, I did my first oil change on our 09 IS250 AWD (man that is one EASY oil change!). Also rotated the tires and gave them a good look. We did have some of the same issues that have been mentioned in this thread on our 07 IS. In fact, that is one of the reasons we traded it in on an 09. I'm happy to say that with 10K on the car, the treadwear seems pretty even. I'll be looking real close in another 5K, and leading up to it, to see how the tires wear, but so far so good. Not sure if it will make a difference, but the 07 had the Dunlops, and the 09 has the Bridgestones. Both tires do very well in the snow, by the way.

What Bridgestones do you have?

OEM tires...Potenza RE92's. I know on the Subaru forums for years guys with WRX's have said how crappy these tires are. They came stock on the WRX's as well as other Subaru's. I've had nothing but good luck with them. Don't drive as "spirited" as I used to, but even in the snow on my Subaru they've never let me down. Common sense is a great thing!

Yeah, it's the RE050's that I think everyone hates. The all season tires seem to work better then the summer only version for what ever reason. But honestly I just haven't been a fan as of late for Bridgestone's in general. There's so many good tires out there right now that cost much less, unless your just brand loyal, I can't justifyably reason buying Bridgestone anything right now. The Goodyear Asymetrics and Michelin Pilot Sports are both a better line, and now I see other names coming into the forefront with better compound technology such as Dunlop and General, not to mention a few others. Bridgestone sort of used the Silica compound to move them to the front of the pack, but that's old tech now and most all tire mfgrs. are using that also.

Just put some Falken Ziex ZE-912's on my Subaru. Seems like a great value. Haven't had enough snow this winter to really test them out in the snow, but otherwise, I"m liking them after 6K or so.

I see you have a S40...my wife had two of those, prior to her two IS's ( she buys cars in two's I guess...) any mods on that Volvo? I really liked that car! She had a 2000 and an 03.

Just put some Falken Ziex ZE-912's on my Subaru. Seems like a great value. Haven't had enough snow this winter to really test them out in the snow, but otherwise, I"m liking them after 6K or so.

I see you have a S40...my wife had two of those, prior to her two IS's ( she buys cars in two's I guess...) any mods on that Volvo? I really liked that car! She had a 2000 and an 03.

LOL!!!! Just a couple. :rolleyes:

My Volvo

WOW! Very nice. I always loved the quickness of that car, and I'm sure yours even more so! So do you race it? Looks more like a show car...

LOL!! That's my wifes car. I took off all the graphics now and it's all just one color. She said it was to flashy. Every kid that pulled up next to her wanted to race all the time. So I toned it down a bit for her. She loves the car now. The turbo swap is like night and day difference. The stock turbo I think runs like 8-10 psi, the new turbo is slightly larger, and I have it set to 16 psi for everyday driving, and I added an intercooler. The car dyno's around 300 hp. Not bad for a little Mitsu/Volvo/Ford. :)

I need some advice from ANYONE who has heard anything similar about what I am going through with my IS250. I have had problem after problem with this car and I am about to pull my hair out!! The car is an '07 with 27k miles on it. I am currently in need of my THIRD set of tires on the front and am on my second set on the back. Let me first mention that I do not drive this car hard.....never over 70mph and I baby it to the point of ridiculousness. Anyway, we took the car back to the dealership when it had less than 10,000 miles on it because although there was very little wear on the back tires, the front tires were cupped so extremely that the road noise was horrendous and it felt as if the vehicle was out of alignment. Anyway, the lexus dealership argued that the vehicle met specs, and it could not be an alignment issue. They suggested that we contact the tire manufacturer because the tires were probably defective. We argued back and to make a long story short, lexus put two new tires on the front and "fixed" the alignment problem (that they originally said did not exist). We've heard the whole "they are sport performance tires, so don't expect them to last much more than 15,000 miles" but I just took the vehicle by a shop yesterday and once again the front two tires are not worn excessively, but excessively cupped unevenly and need to be replaced. This repair shop checked the alignment and although it read to be within lexus's specs, we were told that it is so close to being out of spec that I will never be able to keep tires on the car because of the camber (not sure if I am explaining this just right). They also told us there is no way to repair this issue by just "aligning" the vehicle. Now I am in the process of contacting Lexus again, but I am afraid that what I'll hear is....the vehicle meets specs, end of story. I am just SICK thinking that my first "luxury" car will be one that will cost me a small fortune in tires and drives worse than our Chevy Pickup that has 200k miles on it!! Not to mention I've had MANY other trips to the shop with this thing.....squeaky dash that had to be removed, rotting trim around windshield, etc. If anyone can give me ANY advice on what to do at this point I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

I had a 2007 is250 with the same problem the tires would wear out on the inside, the dealer pointed this out and they we not very helpful. They told me that is way the car is. I went through 3 sets of tires, @ 41,000 and I turned the car in after lease. Its a bad design, to make the car handle the set the car up with wheels toed out at the bottom, instead of designing the car to handel correctly. I would call the zone manager and complain they should pay for the tires. BTW when I turned that car in it was the happiest day of my life, too many problems, recall etc. I guess the its still true its made in Japan (Junk).

• 2 months later...
Hi Smoothie,

Tire differences...?

I assume by the tread life ratings, that the Contis are a slightly different compound and have a better wear factor. Also, there is a difference in the tread pattern. But, so far, there is a distinct difference.

This was just a genuine question.

"Actually, this is better advice in a round about way. Most dealers don't have a road force balancer. They aren't in the tire business, and these are expensive machines. But even the most expensive machine can only fix the correctly diagnosed problem. If it's cupping, that's a suspension component issue, and the dealer should be attending to this, but if its feathering then the tire pros should be able to dial that in as well as any dealer, provided they are good also. Keep in mind that the IS models don't even have any camber adjustments available stock. Although I think the AWD does for some reason. "

I am not a tire expert by any stretch, but I have had lots experience with tires (40+ years). I have had tires "road force balanced" and the balancer will not cure an out of round tire. In fact, it's usually been a tire tech or store manager, trying to convince me that somehow their fancy tire balancer is going to magically balance my tire. Road force balancing will NOT cure a problem with a tire or wheel that is defective or its dimensions are outside of the physical requirements for simply balancing the tire on the wheel. It certainly doesn't take an MIT graduate to look at the tire and the wheel while it's spinning on a typical balancer to see if the tire and wheel are out of round or abnormal movement that would cause a problem.

You can balance a square tire while its' spinning. So even if you put an oval tire on a balancer, I can spin balance that thing well back into spec. The spin balancer has no clue nor does it care what shape the tire is. You would have a ridiculuos amount of weights on the rim, but the spin balancer would read it's good.

In my experience, cupping is NOT just a suspension component issue. I've had multiple sets of front tires on my trucks start to cup after 7K or 10K miles. In that case, the cupping is caused by the tread lugs. The spacing between the lugs allows them to "squirm". That condition of tread wear apears to be fairly normal for larger lug truck type tires. And yes, the suspension system and wheel alignment were fine and the tires were religiously rotated and rebalanced every 7K miles. I am anal about vibrations.

We are talking about vehicle geometry here. I really don't want to get all technical and start importing diagrams and charts, but trucks that expereince tire cupping are being overloaded or thier suspension is designed for heavy loads and they aren't carrying any. So the suspension system isn't loaded enouph and causing the cupping. You can't have both worlds. Ford for years used the twin I-beam suspension that was notoriuos for cupping tires, and didn't have a very good turning radius, but it was a very strong suspension set up. The "squirming" on the tread blocks that your referring to is a result , not a cause. They squirm because the suspension is flexing in and out of spec or under and overload.

If the IS250 does not have a camber adjustment, then perhaps the design is bad. Does that mean that the Toyota engineers figured out that there wont' be a problem with wheel alignment, and that camber adjustments to their genuis suspension design won't be necessary? No camber adjust is fairly common on newer front wheel drive cars, but I find it interesting that the rear wheel drive IS250 does not.

I don't really understand this desicion much either to be honest. My only guess here is in the persuit of trying to be more and more maintenance free, they decided most people don't adjust thier camber anyway, so why make it adjustable? It's just one more thing to maintain then.

Please explain what you mean by "but if its feathering then the tire pros should be able to dial that in as well as any dealer, provided they are good also". How does a tire pro shop "dial in" a feathered tire?

Tire feathering is from a bad toe in/out setting. easily adjusted on the rack when they are doing the alignment.

There a millions and millions of tires put on vehicles that work perfectly normal that never see a "road force balancer".

Because those larger sidewalls hide this issue much better. Lower the profile like we have, and you have to be alot more exact.

What does rotating a tire on its wheel 180 degrees do?

Road force balancing measures the roundness of the tire, by measuring the amount of pressure where the contact patch actually is. Most all rims are not perfectly round to begin with, and have some movement in them straight from the factory. So in essence and for the sake of keeping this relatively short, it measures the amount of movement in the rim, then tells the tech to rotate the heavier portion of the tire to the opposite side of where the rim is out of round the most to create a rounder, more even contact patch.

"For most consumers, it's not a big deal to them, so alot of tire shops get away with this. Frequently. I only do business with tire shops that do road force balancing. It's more work for them, as they have to mount the tire, spin it up and measure it, then in some cases, stop, dismount the tire and rotate it on the rim 180 degrees, then remount it, and balance it from there. But I'm much more involved than most I would venture to guess. "

Most consumers.... What's "not a big deal to them"??

The laws of physics are fairly straight forward when it comes to balancing a tire. Although the dynamics are different when the tire is rotating down the road with a load, it's obvious that if a quality, non-defective tire is balanced properly on a typical spin balancer, then 99.99% of the time it's going to work fine on the road. However, I can balance a tire the shape of a football on a spin balancer, but obviously it's not going to be smooth on the road. Bent or out concentric wheels/rims and out of round tires can induce a vibration and cause tire tread to cup, regardless of how tight and perfect the suspension components are. That's MY experience.

I have a gut feeling that the multiple post regarding abnormal tire wear issues that have surfaced here, and with my own experience with my wife's IS250, that 1) The choice of factory tires by Lexus was stupid. 2) The suspension system on the car is way too loose or a *BLEEP* poor design.

Again, the IS250 as a top brand luxury 4-door sedan at $38,000 US dollars, should NOT have tires that wear out in 10,000 miles!!... camber adjustment or no camber adjustment!!

Sometimes you surprise me Randy. I would think you should be more familiar with suspension geometry's as you have racing in your background. Every car manufacturer has the exact same desicions they have to make, and no matter what that desicion is, there are a bunch of haters complaining and sniveling over it. The facts are, a suspension system that places the tire in a more vertical postion, ie, gets great even tread wear, corners crappy and is unstable at higher speeds. That's a law of nature that science can't overcome. A tire that is more cambered, has alot more stability at high speed, and offers alot more traction in cornering, but at the expense of localized tread wear. Every car ever built faces these same issues. so when they decide tread wear is more important, then you would be complaining that the car doesn't corner very well, understeers all over the place, and won't track, or want to stay on the line you pick with the sterring wheel. You know how some cars feel like they "wander" going down the road all the time? And your forced to constantly correct the steering? they probably get great tire wear. Just look at all those 1980's-1990's cars that get great tire wear, but all performed very poorly. Now we are starting to see some real performance for a change. And when they decide performance is the higher priority, then they have to decide how much tire and suspension wear they are willing to sacfrice to achieve the level of performance they are looking for. 15-20k miles on performance tires is common across the board. Maybe you should be driving a Volvo?

That's just my worthless opinion.

Your alignment problem is not alignment problem all the problems your having is your slide pins on our calipers are sticking or seized. Trust me on this I had all same problems as you and dealer could not find problem. I found problem and replaced caliper and sued Lexus Corp. and WON!!

Hi Smoothie,

Tire differences...?

I assume by the tread life ratings, that the Contis are a slightly different compound and have a better wear factor. Also, there is a difference in the tread pattern. But, so far, there is a distinct difference.

This was just a genuine question.

"Actually, this is better advice in a round about way. Most dealers don't have a road force balancer. They aren't in the tire business, and these are expensive machines. But even the most expensive machine can only fix the correctly diagnosed problem. If it's cupping, that's a suspension component issue, and the dealer should be attending to this, but if its feathering then the tire pros should be able to dial that in as well as any dealer, provided they are good also. Keep in mind that the IS models don't even have any camber adjustments available stock. Although I think the AWD does for some reason. "

I am not a tire expert by any stretch, but I have had lots experience with tires (40+ years). I have had tires "road force balanced" and the balancer will not cure an out of round tire. In fact, it's usually been a tire tech or store manager, trying to convince me that somehow their fancy tire balancer is going to magically balance my tire. Road force balancing will NOT cure a problem with a tire or wheel that is defective or its dimensions are outside of the physical requirements for simply balancing the tire on the wheel. It certainly doesn't take an MIT graduate to look at the tire and the wheel while it's spinning on a typical balancer to see if the tire and wheel are out of round or abnormal movement that would cause a problem.

You can balance a square tire while its' spinning. So even if you put an oval tire on a balancer, I can spin balance that thing well back into spec. The spin balancer has no clue nor does it care what shape the tire is. You would have a ridiculuos amount of weights on the rim, but the spin balancer would read it's good.

In my experience, cupping is NOT just a suspension component issue. I've had multiple sets of front tires on my trucks start to cup after 7K or 10K miles. In that case, the cupping is caused by the tread lugs. The spacing between the lugs allows them to "squirm". That condition of tread wear apears to be fairly normal for larger lug truck type tires. And yes, the suspension system and wheel alignment were fine and the tires were religiously rotated and rebalanced every 7K miles. I am anal about vibrations.

We are talking about vehicle geometry here. I really don't want to get all technical and start importing diagrams and charts, but trucks that expereince tire cupping are being overloaded or thier suspension is designed for heavy loads and they aren't carrying any. So the suspension system isn't loaded enouph and causing the cupping. You can't have both worlds. Ford for years used the twin I-beam suspension that was notoriuos for cupping tires, and didn't have a very good turning radius, but it was a very strong suspension set up. The "squirming" on the tread blocks that your referring to is a result , not a cause. They squirm because the suspension is flexing in and out of spec or under and overload.

If the IS250 does not have a camber adjustment, then perhaps the design is bad. Does that mean that the Toyota engineers figured out that there wont' be a problem with wheel alignment, and that camber adjustments to their genuis suspension design won't be necessary? No camber adjust is fairly common on newer front wheel drive cars, but I find it interesting that the rear wheel drive IS250 does not.

I don't really understand this desicion much either to be honest. My only guess here is in the persuit of trying to be more and more maintenance free, they decided most people don't adjust thier camber anyway, so why make it adjustable? It's just one more thing to maintain then.

Please explain what you mean by "but if its feathering then the tire pros should be able to dial that in as well as any dealer, provided they are good also". How does a tire pro shop "dial in" a feathered tire?

Tire feathering is from a bad toe in/out setting. easily adjusted on the rack when they are doing the alignment.

There a millions and millions of tires put on vehicles that work perfectly normal that never see a "road force balancer".

Because those larger sidewalls hide this issue much better. Lower the profile like we have, and you have to be alot more exact.

What does rotating a tire on its wheel 180 degrees do?

Road force balancing measures the roundness of the tire, by measuring the amount of pressure where the contact patch actually is. Most all rims are not perfectly round to begin with, and have some movement in them straight from the factory. So in essence and for the sake of keeping this relatively short, it measures the amount of movement in the rim, then tells the tech to rotate the heavier portion of the tire to the opposite side of where the rim is out of round the most to create a rounder, more even contact patch.

"For most consumers, it's not a big deal to them, so alot of tire shops get away with this. Frequently. I only do business with tire shops that do road force balancing. It's more work for them, as they have to mount the tire, spin it up and measure it, then in some cases, stop, dismount the tire and rotate it on the rim 180 degrees, then remount it, and balance it from there. But I'm much more involved than most I would venture to guess. "

Most consumers.... What's "not a big deal to them"??

The laws of physics are fairly straight forward when it comes to balancing a tire. Although the dynamics are different when the tire is rotating down the road with a load, it's obvious that if a quality, non-defective tire is balanced properly on a typical spin balancer, then 99.99% of the time it's going to work fine on the road. However, I can balance a tire the shape of a football on a spin balancer, but obviously it's not going to be smooth on the road. Bent or out concentric wheels/rims and out of round tires can induce a vibration and cause tire tread to cup, regardless of how tight and perfect the suspension components are. That's MY experience.

I have a gut feeling that the multiple post regarding abnormal tire wear issues that have surfaced here, and with my own experience with my wife's IS250, that 1) The choice of factory tires by Lexus was stupid. 2) The suspension system on the car is way too loose or a *BLEEP* poor design.

Again, the IS250 as a top brand luxury 4-door sedan at $38,000 US dollars, should NOT have tires that wear out in 10,000 miles!!... camber adjustment or no camber adjustment!!

Sometimes you surprise me Randy. I would think you should be more familiar with suspension geometry's as you have racing in your background. Every car manufacturer has the exact same desicions they have to make, and no matter what that desicion is, there are a bunch of haters complaining and sniveling over it. The facts are, a suspension system that places the tire in a more vertical postion, ie, gets great even tread wear, corners crappy and is unstable at higher speeds. That's a law of nature that science can't overcome. A tire that is more cambered, has alot more stability at high speed, and offers alot more traction in cornering, but at the expense of localized tread wear. Every car ever built faces these same issues. so when they decide tread wear is more important, then you would be complaining that the car doesn't corner very well, understeers all over the place, and won't track, or want to stay on the line you pick with the sterring wheel. You know how some cars feel like they "wander" going down the road all the time? And your forced to constantly correct the steering? they probably get great tire wear. Just look at all those 1980's-1990's cars that get great tire wear, but all performed very poorly. Now we are starting to see some real performance for a change. And when they decide performance is the higher priority, then they have to decide how much tire and suspension wear they are willing to sacfrice to achieve the level of performance they are looking for. 15-20k miles on performance tires is common across the board. Maybe you should be driving a Volvo?

That's just my worthless opinion.