Found A Local 93' Ls400 - Money Pit?

90LS400Lexus

As you all know, I am giving my LS400 (1991) to my mother soon (as soon as its in perfect order), but then can either use her car as my daily driver, or buy another car. I dont want to use my Mercedes as my daily driver... I want to keep the miles low on it.

I think I should probably find something like a Camry or Accord, but I found a 1993 LS400 locally thats a tempting deal (low price), but I think it will turn into a money pit. I can get the car for $2100. It runs, but the seller said it needs an o2 sensor (sputters when cold, but that could be something else), the front seats are ragged, and it has alot of bumps/bruises and of course, it has the dreaded PS pump leak. I wanted a 1993 before I bought my 1991, but never could find one in my price range at the time with a local model. I wanted a 93' because I liked the wheels better, passenger airbag and the outside temp gauge. Mine is a 1991, with less extra features, but mine is MUCH nicer than this one. Mine looks new compared to this one. <_< BUT I still like this 1993. :huh:

I am thinking should steer away and get a nicer Accord or Camry... agree? I found a local 1985 Toyota Camry LE with only 112K miles for $900! Its a very nice car.

Here are photos of the Lexus car anyway.... she is rough and DIRTY! The owner may post/visit here... who knows. If so, sorry, just needing advice. :)

lexus_014.jpg

lexus_013.jpg

lexus_012.jpg

lexus_009.jpg

lexus_005.jpg

Copy_of_lexus_004.jpg

Here is mine in comparison...

100_7910.jpg

Are you a good DIYer? I wouldnt worry about broken bumber, seats etc. I would look out for electrical issues or major mechanical trouble. Does the engine look like its been messed with much? How do the oils look? Drive ok? Look for covered up cluster lights.

I like em rough and dirty :cheers:

Are you a good DIYer? I wouldnt worry about broken bumber, seats etc. I would look out for electrical issues or major mechanical trouble. Does the engine look like its been messed with much? How do the oils look? Drive ok? Look for covered up cluster lights.

I like em rough and dirty :cheers:

Only prob is, usually care of the exterior reflects overall care. With a car like this, check everything! The check again! One advantage is you'll have no probs talking him down. :D

It depends... mechanically, I am a terrible DIY'er on these cars. Electrical seems OK... he said that the speedometer needle only lights up 1/2 way, I am familiar with that, because my old 1990 LS had that issue... not yet on my 1991. I have not seen the engine or even drove the car... its 134 miles from here.

Only prob is, usually care of the exterior reflects overall care. With a car like this, check everything! The check again! One advantage is you'll have no probs talking him down. :D

I know - thats what I was thinking. He said the MAF was recently replaced to the tune of $450. He was originally asking $2650, but said he would take $2100... not sure how much less though. Said may also be interested in trades. Seems this person has some physical health issues and not really able to take care of the car.

i would stay away from that car. looks abused. You can find much nicer LS400's if your willing to travel. your 91 is clean. That LS is dogged out.
i wouldnt buy that car....u buy u will find urself buying things to make it look better and 2100 is way too much money for that car

Thanks... yeah, I think I will steer clear. I keep thinking on how my "cared for" LS400 has costed me in routine repairs. I think I will look for something else. Resurfacing potential problems are cropping up again even on my car (which I am addressing in another thread).

i would stay away from that car. looks abused. You can find much nicer LS400's if your willing to travel. your 91 is clean. That LS is dogged out.
i wouldnt buy that car....u buy u will find urself buying things to make it look better and 2100 is way too much money for that car

Thanks... yeah, I think I will steer clear. I keep thinking on how my "cared for" LS400 has costed me in routine repairs. I think I will look for something else. Resurfacing potential problems are cropping up again even on my car (which I am addressing in another thread).

Smart decision, looks like a loser to me.. as said above, if it is not cared for, it is just USED, "rode hard and put up wet"

Cheers, bp