Cut Rotors Or Buy New Ones?

rich21

haven't decided on wether to have my rotors cut or buy new ones this weekend. what do you guys think. when you do either one do you have to change the pads. trying to save some $ kind of tight right now. :whistles:

can you slide with just cutting the rotors or do you have to change them when you cut the rotors? i checked the pads and they look pretty good to me, it's just rotors are a little warped. when i push on the brakes the vibration just *BLEEP*es me off.

New rotors for my 99ls are about $129 each from discount OEM lexus store.

That's $260 so I don't know what it costs to machine rotors -

I agree w/ Grinch, if they can keep within specs then you've saved bigtime.

If they are going to be marginal, then just get the new ones when you have $..

Either way, you will want NEW PADS on after one of the above procedures.

Well you don't have too many options. How much rotor do you have left? That's what you should use to determine if you need new rotors or not.

If you have the money then I'd look for some Crossdrilled and slotted Rotors. There are a couple of companies that have made stock size ones.

My rotors are glazed over quite a bit so they squeal like pigs...but I still have quite a bit of brakepads left so I'm gonna wait till my front pads are gone and change to the drilled/slotted iRotors with some new Greenstuff pads.

I reccomend machining a rotor every time pads are changed and changing pads every time the rotor is machined.

If you do one without the other, you're shortening the life of both.

im not a big advocate of shaving the rotors since it will cost around ?50-100? for the shave and $200 for new rotors. if you can hold off for a bit longer to save the cash id definitly get new rotors. i mean, you shave them but then youre still going to have to replace them eventually so why not do it now?

I'm totally against cutting rotors since this is one of the most common outcomes ...

it's just rotors are a little warped. when i push on the brakes the vibration just *BLEEP*es me off.

I installed cross-drilled rotors on my Jeep last year and will certainly install cross-drilled rotors on my SC and LS in the near future. Give John a call at Powerstoprotors.com, 1-888-428-7278. The ones on my Jeep are Cadmium coated so all the unswept surfaces look great years later!!

:)

i know a mechanic that will shave my front for 30 bucks so i said, hey what the hell. but im definetly gonna drilled slotted rotors. with either green stuff or red stuff. which would you guys prefer and why?

From what i hear the softer pads are better for the slotted since theyll shave off the top part when it heats up. the drilled are better for dissipating the heat from a harder pad. Thats just a basic explanation as i understand it. someone correct me if im wrong...

if the rotors are thin or close to it then they will warp faster.

the rotor is just one big heat sink. less material you have on it..less heat it can absorb. once it gets too hot the rotor will either develop hot spots or depending how you're cooling them, warp.

you guys that are running x-drilled rotors and slotted rotors...do you feel that you're gaining that much more braking power?

Well, compared to the stock setup i definitly gained some, but that may be because my rotors were old. With the new pads and old rotors it was ok, but once i put the drilled/slotted on there it bit alot more and doesnt fade. you can use alot less pedal to get full braking also

Well, compared to the stock setup i definitly gained some, but that may be because my rotors were old. With the new pads and old rotors it was ok, but once i put the drilled/slotted on there it bit alot more and doesnt fade. you can use alot less pedal to get full braking also

now would you feel/think you would get the same/similar performance with a stock (blank) rotor? (not the cheap stuff either)

with a softer pad i think you would see some improvements, but i bought pads that were a bit hard so i didnt see any improvements. you can find drilled/slotted rotors for the same price as stock blank rotors, so why not upgrade? im glad i did although i will search for a local shop to buy from instead of in the US. but, IMHO, i think softer pads may work better with stock rotors. Of course, you cant go wrong with TRD pads...just depends on how you drive and your opinions i guess.

i know your on a budget but i just want to let everyone know about this cool site.

TITANIUM ROTORS!!!!!

http://www.zmibrakes.com/home.html

ENJOY!

WOw, I didn't think they were going to make these for Street cars. I wouldn't get them, because they're designed for Open Wheel Cars, with the proper balance on each wheel.

MKTbully:

Regarding your previous post about effectiveness. I think they're really effective. There are no gases to build-up, and slow down the performance of your brakes.

I opted for the very expensive 13" Wilwoods on my LS. I used to brake from 60-0 around 142ft. Now it's like 100ft. True, they're racing style brakes, but they're worth the money, especially on such a big car like the LS.