Pre-diy Thread!

jcrome04

Hello every one! I soon am going to take on the duty of changing out my coolant, and cleaning my Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) or Idle Speed Control (ISC). I also am going to try to make a DIY out of both of the procedures for any fellow LOC members that want to tackle this themselves. So before I do this I want to get all the proper info.

Coolant Drain/Flush/Fill:

1. What is the exact coolant called? And what is the pricing?

I've read to use pre-diluted 50/50 Toyota Red Long life coolant, but also heard it's spendy. What is the difference between the long life coolant and regular coolant? Also a price difference if available?

2. The system is set up a little different on the 95-97 LS than the 1st gen LS like on the LexLS tutorial. When underneath my car I can only see one drain !Removed! on the bottom of the radiator. Is this the only one??

3. Should I use any type of flush, or cleaner? Like the Prestone products?

Since there is no direct opening to the radiator. How would something like this be used? Or should it even be used at all??

4. What is proper procedure for this process? The same as the LexLS tutorial for the 1st gen? Is there still a filler plug by the water inlet housing?

5. So basically... Drain, Fill with cleaner and water, Drain, fill with water, Drain, Fill with Final coolant.

also... what is the coolant capacity? any torque specs for any parts??

IACV Cleaning:

I figured this will be a good time to do the IACV cleaning since coolant needs to be drained in order for this part to be removed.

From some searching I have found to use a carb clener type product that is O2 safe like the Valvoline Syn Power.

REMEMBER TO BUY A NEW GASKET!!

Are there any precautions I need to take?? Do I need to be "extra gentle" with any parts? Or is it basically like cleaning the Throttle Body, where you just spray the cleaner on, and wipe it down??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that this should clear up all my questions. If I have missed anything feel free to point it out!

As I said before the club will be blessed with step-by-step full color photos of both procedures! :D :D

Thanks in advance for everything! :)

1. What is the exact coolant called? And what is the pricing?

I've read to use pre-diluted 50/50 Toyota Red Long life coolant, but also heard it's spendy. What is the difference between the long life coolant and regular coolant? Also a price difference if available?

I can tell you that the Toyota Long Life coolant is ridiculously expensive if you don't buy it online. I just paid $37 with tax at a Toyota dealer for a 3.78 liter jug (supply and demand, ya know). :o Carson sells it for about 1/2 that price. Here's the part number: 00272-1LLAC-01 I'm not sure what the difference is between the Toyota coolant and green Prestone is, but my former '95 ran green coolant for more than 100k miles, and it was perfectly fine, as it should be since the manual states that any ethylene glycol based coolant is acceptable.
also... what is the coolant capacity?
For my car, it's 11 liters, and I'd bet it's the same for 95-97 too. I'll attach a photo of the directions listed on the bottle....

post-1461-1236795614_thumb.jpg post-1461-1236795630_thumb.jpg

Instruction on the bottle!!!!!!

If I had known that..... lol! :lol:

I guess I'll just follow that. That makes it sound A LOT easier than finding all the other drains. Should I still use a cleaner like the Prestone flush?

Would it be necessary to find all the other drains???..... Or could I just flush it out an extra time???

• 2 weeks later...
Update.

Part number for the crush washer to the water inlet, IACV gasket

Crush Washer:

90430-20004

IACV Gasket:

22278-50011

Those part #s, at Carson/Toyota?? or just any parts warehouse...

i will be following suit on this project!