2jzge Plenum Entry Relocation

Im sure this has been talked about before, but i can find anything.

Looking at the sc300's, it seems like a plenum style more like the 2JZ GtE would make more sense for turbo applications (front mount plumbing). Ive only been able to find a picture, no info. are there any gains other than easier plug changing to be had? Would the added cost not be worth it?

i-5_B_L.jpg

You're right it doesn't look like the traditional GE engine, a lot of us have. Definitely modified. It almost looks like there's a supercharger and a turbo. It's not a GTE, no Twin Air intakes on the right.

Need a better look. :)

No, that looks like a ethene or endlebrok blower. Grinch, do you see another turbo anywhere?

It still says 2JZGE on the side of the spark plug box?

Whose engine is this?

That does look good. The side draft manifold a la gte does help higher horsepower applications. I think at 600+ guys start to go to that. Don't hold me to it. I like the idea myself. I also like what they did with the coils over the valve cover there. That is a serious set-up.

I was thinking it was a 600+ car, but without a blower, supercharger, or another turbo, i can't vision that. Besides that turbo is kind of small.

Grinch, I know Endlebrock has made a Throttle body with a miniturized blower in it. True it was on a Boss Mustang, but it does kick a$$.

UCF3, we all have to start somewhere. It is obvious that your experience is limited at least with turbos on the GE. I'm not saying I'm the go to guru, but that turbo is not really small. There is no maf - indicating extensive fuel and map modification - the turbine is completely covered - so it's hard to judge how big it is. I can't tell how much power that car would make just by looking at it, but I can wager that is one serious set-up that will eat a lot of competition. That looks like a 4" inlet, the compressor side is moderately large, it also looks like we have some nitrous oxide or some other type of power adder here as well - this car is done right.

Some good places to start are with a book written by Corky Bell - Maximum Boost. There are also some very good informational links in our FAQ that I will revise for title and description.

UCF3, we all have to start somewhere.  It is obvious that your experience is limited at least with turbos on the GE.  I'm not saying I'm the go to guru, but that turbo is not really small.  There is no maf - indicating extensive fuel and map modification - the turbine is completely covered - so it's hard to judge how big it is.  I can't tell how much power that car would make just by looking at it, but I can wager that is one serious set-up that will eat a lot of competition.  That looks like a 4" inlet, the compressor side is moderately large, it also looks like we have some nitrous oxide or some other type of power adder here as well - this car is done right. 

Some good places to start are with a  book written by Corky Bell - Maximum Boost.  There are also some very good informational links in our FAQ that I will revise for title and description.

Ah, that's kind of obvious, especially when I had problems IDing the throttle body. The turbo looks a little small to me, because I'm thinking in order to produce 600+ hp you'd need close to a junk yard dog-turbo/semi's size turbo charge. My hp rating was closer to 400-450 hp, like the one in Getaway in Stockholm 2. The Nitros part I wasn't thinking about, but now that you say it, that extra blue cable going to the intake could be a nitros relay.

Chances are I'll know more, when i swap out my GE for the GTE.

I'm more of a driver than a mechanic, although I can build an open wheel car. I might pick up the book though.

That's a heavily modded lexus!

Very nice setup.

The thing with big turbos is that they spool up really slow, but if you take a small turbo and work on getting it to spin really fast, you can get high pressure out of a smaller turbo.

I think this is one of those small, really fast spinning (also very hot) turbos. Explains why it's covered up.

I'm not sure if I'm right but it looks like he replaced his regular distributor with coils.

Make no mistake, that turbo is bigger than you guys think. A/R is the critical determining factor. Bearings, center cartige make up, shaft size, wheel size will all effect spool regardless of what turbo it is. You could have a T04r coming fully on line at 3000 rpm boosting solid to 6.5k running 20 pounds and it will be much more efficient than the smaller gn style turbos. The tighter and smaller, the more compression, the more heat generated. The turbine side is hot period. That is where the cover is. Efficiency and flow is the key factor. It comes down to the system and application. The turbo itself is only a small piece of the equation. A critical one, but small.

That's a heavily modded lexus!

Very nice setup.

The thing with big turbos is that they spool up really slow, but if you take a small turbo and work on getting it to spin really fast, you can get high pressure out of a smaller turbo.

I think this is one of those small, really fast spinning (also very hot) turbos. Explains why it's covered up.

I'm not sure if I'm right but it looks like he replaced his regular distributor with coils.

Oh, I know that, about the big turbos, but the most efficient setups call for another Turbo. That should keep the heat down; correct me if I'm wrong, AWJ. I wouldn't be surprised if this setup has another turbo down there.

So AWJ, you think that's a T3 or T4 turbo? Also, does your Turbo setup look something like this?

That is a T4 some garrett or turbonetics probably some sort of offshoot by hks or sp. Definitely single turbo. Why would you need two when you can do much more with 1? Twin turbos are cool and all, but most guys go from two to 1, so what's that tell ya? The emphasis is on efficiency. It takes more energy to spin two turbos relatively speaking. Especially if they are upgraded. Why not use all that on one properly sized for the application? Those are 3 double post ignition coils over that valve cover, wasted spark, so this car is running an ignition conversion complete with crank sensor and standalone management.

My set-up is no where near as developed as this one. I've got the t3/t4 internally gated puppy. Stock fuel supplemented with an upgraded fuel pump (wich we know this guy must have), two aux injectors, and haltech f5. Stock intake manifold and throttle body, stock compression, stock ecu, stock ignition. I believe the timing on my vehicle is fixed manually retarded by counterclock on the distributor.

It would take a little work to get my set-up to rival this one. I'd post a picture, but she really is not as clean looking as this one. I plan to get in there over the next few months to completely disassemble and clean everything. I'll link a pic for the meantime though.

So whom ever's car this is, they are getting a lot of attention here. That is the type of set-up I dream of.

Anyways, here's mine - for now at least:

SC00010.jpg

If you don't know what you're looking at, you won't see it. Which is one thing I like about my current set-up. Most people can't even tell it is turbo when they look at it. It's over there on the exhaust side though if you look hard, you'll see the top of the Garrett.

Definitely single turbo. Why would you need two when you can do much more with 1? Twin turbos are cool and all, but most guys go from two to 1, so what's that tell ya?

The only time people I've seen switching from Two to One, is when they're ready to upgrade to a large turbo charger.

I think you should display your turbocharger. I wouldn't mind checking out what the TOyomoto turbos look like. :unsure:

All the HP monster Supras switch to single from double for efficiency.

The point of two turbos is less lag on the small one and then more air at higher RPM on the bigger one.

If you take something in between and get it to spin faster, it will spool almost as quick as the small and be able to keep up pressure at high RPM.

AWJ: That's F-ing beautiful. Hurts my eyes staring at the picture.

It does look almost stock because you have a side-mount IC and the piping is not all chromed out like most ppl do it now.

I'd love me a set up like that.

Do you even have a BOV on that?

@ bean_8044: you won't regret it buddy B)

@UCF3: There are only truely like 3 companies that actually produce the turbos. There are lots of companies that modify them or have those source companies make them to spec with given compressor wheels, blade clips, housing options, bearing options, shaft options, turbine stuff, etc. I think the main three are Garrett, Turbonetics/Air-research, and Holset. I'm not sure on that. There might be a couple others or I might be wrong on 1 or two, but it's the same idea. So the Toyomoto turbo is just a tweaked garrett. On the outside, looks like any other internally gated t3/t4. Check out my garage for a somewhat up close pic. I'll put up more after I get it off and do some surgery.

@Sportcoupe300: Thanks man. I go back and forth about keeping it like that or going with a little bling. I know I will eventually go big - but I might just keep this motor and set-up for street sleeper status appeal. I'm pulling that piping (as well as most the other hot stuff) here in the very near future to get some corrosion off it and check seals n stuff. I was debating polishing it and putting a clear coat on it. Maybe I should just repaint it flat black eh? The system does vent - it is utilizing an OEM supra TT ABV (bov). It flutters under high boost though. Definitely need to put something else in that spot. I have seen where two of the abv's in parallel will handle a little more boost without fluttering so much - but... we'll see what I decide to use.

@UCF3: There are only truely like 3 companies that actually produce the turbos.  There are lots of companies that modify them or have those source companies make them to spec with given compressor wheels, blade clips, housing options, bearing options, shaft options, turbine stuff, etc.  I think the main three are Garrett, Turbonetics/Air-research, and Holset.  I'm not sure on that.  There might be a couple others or I might be wrong on 1 or two, but it's the same idea.  So the Toyomoto turbo is just a tweaked garrett.  On the outside, looks like any other internally gated t3/t4.  Check out my garage for a somewhat up close pic.  I'll put up more after I get it off and do some surgery.

AWJ:

I read the article in SCCM about Garrett, and the clones.

See, you have to understand, I am exposed to turbos, but they're larger than Street versions. Most of the mechanics I deal with, attach single large turbos which are significantly better compared to older twin street versions. I didn't realize it was large for street application. I talked to one of my friends, and he told me about the DryJet Nitros & Turbo setup above. He doesn't think it's that great for true race, but drag.

Thats a huge !Removed! turbo compared to the CT12's which are about the size of small grapefruits. The 1jz was the only one with the true twin-turbo while the 2jz is more of a bi-turbo like the 90s TT RX7s. I figured that i can get the IC, piping/headers, and single turbo for around $2k. Of course i would be switching from twin to single so its feasible for me since im already set up for turbo. But...what i am worried about is how much boost i can run with a T3/T4 or a T4 and where thats going to move boost. Right now it rolls on smooth around 2500rpm, but i want more boost but not at the sacrifice of moving the boost to 4k...any ideas??