Thumping When Turning Wheel Into A Curve,whats This From?help

hi guys need some help ,whenever i turn my wheel to go into a curve to the left so im turning my wheel to the drivers side i hear a thumping.it only occurs when turning my wheel into curves not during turns at all.what could this be?something with my tire??balancing?just a quick question any help i appreciate thanxx

thats something i was thinking of too.so i would have to get my axle changed??

I think the CV is part of the "axle" -- I usually hear them called half shafts. You have two -- one on each side.

Any more, CV joints last a long time. Back in the 80's a person was lucky if CV joints lasted more than 60-70K miles.

Is your car fairly high mileage?

If it is the CV joint and the noise isn't bothering you, I guess you could drive it until it gets worse or even breaks. A broken CV joint usually means calling a tow truck and could put you in an unsafe/dangerous situation.

well i have a 93 lexus es300 has about 100k on her.i bought it about 6 months ago looks like the car was kept in pretty good condition.it doesnt really make any noise just feel a thumping when i slightly turn my wheel to the left when going into a curve and have to hold it there for a few seconds.

• 3 weeks later...
well i have a 93 lexus es300 has about 100k on her.i bought it about 6 months ago looks like the car was kept in pretty good condition.it doesnt really make any noise just feel a thumping when i slightly turn my wheel to the left when going into a curve and have to hold it there for a few seconds.

CV joints are cheap it is the labor that is expensive. you can drive it if you can stand it. but is it a thumping sound or knocking? when my cvs on another car went bad it was a clicking knocking sound

If it's a CV joint, the way to go is to buy a new/remanufactured entire half-shaft... replacement of the half-shafts is pretty cheap and easy. It's a MUCH more cost effective way to go rather than trying to just replace/rebuild the CV joint. $68/shaft here: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/YN/B75...eek+Google+Base ...and then the cost of removal/replacement, which any good shop should easily be able to do in under an hour. Here's the basics on the job: http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_cen...ve/1715877.html

Just replaced the cv joint drivers side, on the wifes car. The left side shaft and all was like $58 local Napa. I had started makeing some noise at the beginning of winter. 3 weeks ago, it got nasty, so i figure it was just part of the down hill slide of the shaft failing. Your at the beginning of it starting to fail. Take a look at the rubber boots, if they are looking bad, that is a good sign time to get it changed. At least the cv's give you some warning before major failure on the road somewhere. Get it changed while you can dictate the time and place, before it dictates you.

(PS Next time someone else can work on the old rusty parts underneith.)

You shouldn't have to replace any axles. It does sound like a CV joint or boot as they like to call them. Easy, but very messy fix. You should get that checked out asap. You don't want to get too much debris or anything else in the joint if its exposed and the grease is gone.

If i understood correctly, it can be inner tierod, strut mount or lower arm control.

Let see if i can explain what i understood.

when you stop on stop light or sign or just you are in drive position. if you turn your steering wheel right no noise or vibration on steering wheel but when you turning to left you hearing noise and feel vibration.

oh! i don't know, do feel vibration on steering wheel?

well if tie rod or control arm, you should be able to grab the wheel and see if you can move it side to side, this was pretty obvious on my SC right before I change the lower control arms. Best this is to grab the wheel, and have some one who knows what they are looking at and see what moves underneith. Always seemed to work for me.

no this is simply a thump or vibration i can feel on my steering wheel when i simply drive into a bend or curve on the road to the left.it does not make any vibration or thumping when i turning left just when i slightly turn the wheel when i drive into a curve on the road.