Sun Visor Won't Stay Up

DMW 99 RX300

I have a '99 RX and a '02 Highlander. Both had this problem. I got this solution from the Highlander forum. You don't have to cut, or squeeze your pivot arm, or mount a velcro attack to solve this problem.

Here's the fix.

You do have to remove the visor from the vehicle...easy to do...just pop off the plastic cover where the pivot arm goes into the headliner, and you will see two philips head screws. Unscrew, and then gently pull the arm out, and disconnect the electrical connector.

Making sure the visor clamp is in the "closed" position, mount the visor gently, but firmly in a padded vise. Then, using a one and half, to one and three quarters inch case nail (I used a grinder to make the point like a chisel), and holding the nail parallel but at a 10 to 15 degree angle to the pivot arm, drive the nail under the end of the pivot arn until you feel it bump against the clamping barrel. Then continue to drive the nail when you are certain it has gone between the arm and clamping barrel. Drive the nail until it is flush with the edge of the fabric.

This will provide the necessary friction to hold the visor up when you reinstall the visor. If your clamping barrel is very loose, you may have to use two nails, as I did on my Highlander. The RX was fixed with one nail. It works like new now.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the great picture. My 1999 RX300 has 178,000 miles and both have gotten loose. I have tried the toothpicks, velcro, etc. All without success. I was about to glue magnets to each, when I finally came across this post. A pair of vice grips and this excellent picture and both are like new. Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

I repaired mine with same color Velcro. (tan in my case)

Looks and works great. still going after a year.

However,

On the headliner, I used about a 3 inch long strip of 1/2 in wide Velcro. I attached it with Elmers wood glue.

I taped it with 3M paint tape. Until dry.

On the visor, I cut 2 1/2 x 1/2 in pieces. applied about 1/2 inch apart. Used same gluing procedure.

Very cheap,

Very Easy,

Very Effective.

Very Attractive.

• 4 months later...

My finger is pointing to the part that has to be tightened (i.e., clamped down with vise grips). It should be obvious why sticking toothpicks in there is futile - the clamp's too far in. Make sure the mechanism is in the "up" position before clamping it.

attachicon.gifPICT0005.JPG

I know i am late to this party....but if i were to clamp on it in the general area where your finger is, while the mechanism is in the upward position, where should I clamp from? e.g. from the window side?

• 5 months later...

I tried the trick with the pliers and it worked like a charm on my 2000 RX300! Great tip! Measured in 2 5/8" in where the material started and it worked.

My recommendation is to put a rag/towel between the metal pliers and the fabric to avoid any chance of tearing the visor.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

As cars grow older certain things seem to go. I appreciate this thread as nobody likes a flopping visor. I've had them before and found gravity fought my every effort. A friend of mine worked for Loctite and gave me some stuff to squirt in which pretty much locked it tight. After that I drove west in the mornings and east in the evenings and that solved the problem.

• 2 years later...

well, it is a late reply for this discussion, but my solution works perfectly and it is really cheap.

I insert a plain magnet on the sun visor and another one inside the roof panel using double tape. North and south polarity, of course. Problem disappear even driving off road. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/9/2009 at 11:11 PM, Ericok said:

My finger is pointing to the part that has to be tightened (i.e., clamped down with vise grips). It should be obvious why sticking toothpicks in there is futile - the clamp's too far in. Make sure the mechanism is in the "up" position before clamping it.

post-12566-1236654589_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for the tip! It worked!!!! I did not even have to cut the visor open, just clamped it @ about 2 3/4 inches as was suggested in this thread (driver side). This is brilliant!!!

• 2 years later...

same problem with my '99 RX300 driver side vizor.  I removed the clip that the arm of the vizor rests on and am going to replace it with a new one.  There is a very well hidden screw to look for when removing it.  I hope this does the trick. i have a couple pictures but don't see how to attach them.