2004 Rx330 Tire Pressure Monitoring?

HipsterDoofus

Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 RX330 as of a few days ago. This forum is a great source of information.

I'm wondering if Tire Pressure Monitoring was standard on all '04 RX330's? Or if it was optional, how to tell if it was so equipped?

The reason I ask is that my RX330 currently has cheapo black rubber tire valve stems that are obviously not Lexus OEM (along with some pretty bargain basement tires). Tossing the OEM tire pressure monitor valve stems and replacing them with $2 rubber ones is exactly the sort of thing I can picture a low-end tire store having done.

Is there a way to tell?

Thanks. That jibes with some reviews of the 2004 model that led me to believe that TPMS was standard on all RX330 models.

It looks like non-oem replacement TPMS monitors can be had for reasonable cost from TireRack and other retailers. The Lexus dealer wants a pretty penny for the monitors and again for mounting and installation (not to mention $tealer pricing for the tires themselves).

The only function that has to be performed by the dealer is "registering" the sensors with the vehicle's computer in some form. My hope is to have an independent installer put tires and TPMS sensors from TireRack and then just pay the Lexus dealer to register the sensors.

Yes, The 2004 RX330 has a tire pressure warning system, but no it does NOT have tire monitors in the wheels. Tire monitors were not installed until 2007 RX350. The 2004 actually uses the ABS speed sensor for tire pressure monitoring.

The best tire pressure monitoring system on the planet has never changed. It consists of getting a decent tire pressure gauge (digital is great but there's nothing wrong with the old manual style) and committing to checking your tire pressures, COLD, once a week. Once every two weeks is better than monthly. And monthly is better than never.

Don't trust inconsistent and often faulty electronic tire pressure monitoring systems to manage your tires for you. Do it yourself, the right way, and you'll be safer with longer-lasting tires as well....

Great news that there are no TPMS sensors on the wheels. That explains why I only find valve stem sensors for later models than the 2004.

Regarding the "old fashioned" TPMS (aka a tire pressure guage), I agree TPMS is no substitute. However, TPMS is definitely very useful IMO. On my other car (350Z) I recently punctured a tire on a piece of metal on the freeway. TPMS alerted me to the problem and allowed me to drive to a safe area to put the spare tire on before the tire became undrivable. The difference between changing a tire on the side of a freeway versus in a safe parking lot is very significant. Doubly so since I am now transporting an infant.

Thanks for all of the great info.

Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a 2004 RX330 as of a few days ago. This forum is a great source of information.

I'm wondering if Tire Pressure Monitoring was standard on all '04 RX330's? Or if it was optional, how to tell if it was so equipped?

The reason I ask is that my RX330 currently has cheapo black rubber tire valve stems that are obviously not Lexus OEM (along with some pretty bargain basement tires). Tossing the OEM tire pressure monitor valve stems and replacing them with $2 rubber ones is exactly the sort of thing I can picture a low-end tire store having done.

Is there a way to tell?

In my case when the preasure in one of the tires foes low, there is a illuminated (amber color) sign on my dash board.

Yes, The 2004 RX330 has a tire pressure warning system, but no it does NOT have tire monitors in the wheels. Tire monitors were not installed until 2007 RX350. The 2004 actually uses the ABS speed sensor for tire pressure monitoring.

Does it mean that if a I purchase new tires there is absolutely no precaution required ???? That the tires have nothing to do with the preasure monitoring system ???

The best tire pressure monitoring system on the planet has never changed. It consists of getting a decent tire pressure gauge (digital is great but there's nothing wrong with the old manual style) and committing to checking your tire pressures, COLD, once a week. Once every two weeks is better than monthly. And monthly is better than never.

Don't trust inconsistent and often faulty electronic tire pressure monitoring systems to manage your tires for you. Do it yourself, the right way, and you'll be safer with longer-lasting tires as well....

Twice, my wife has picked up nails in a tire that caused a slow leak (down to 25 psi). Both times the TPMS alerted her to something was wrong. I was able to drive the vehicle to a tire shop both times and get the tires patched before needing to slap on the spare.

I love TPMS.