Lexol/leatherique Best Leather Softner

i was wandering if anyone had any experience with lexol and or leatherique. and which product is the best for softening up the leather, or if anyone has a used a better product for softening the stiff leather of an older lex. please no listings on meguires,mothers,ect... or any other auto zone or walmart cleaner, i've tried them all and they don't work. thanks guys

Yeah I used Lexol. It works pretty well. I have gone over the leather twice, and it has helped a lot. I rubbed it in, let it sit for 5 mins, and then wiped off the excess. I have researched out Leatherique and it is supposed to be the best. I have talked to professional restorers that swear by it. I have an appt to have my interior completely restored with Leatherique and they ensure it will look new! I'll let you know.

The Leatherique and the Lexol are really two very different products. The Leatherique is for restoring the leather, the Lexol isn't at all powerful enough for that. The Lexol is more for maintaining properly cared for leather.

• 3 weeks later...

just go to www.leatherique.com and u can read about it. its a little pricey but i've talk to professionals that swear by it. they said its the best product to soften hard leather. from older models. i did some research and am still doing research on those types of products. b/c my leather is soo hard and brittle feeling. You hear a lot about lexol products but in extensive research i've found it doesn't do that much for softening the leather. But the leatherique is supposed to soak and penetrate deep into the leather, for a dramatic softer and more supple feel.

:D :D You know,

It's all kinda funny.....

I read the thread, go to Leatherique.com

Find a distributor and call...

He's tells me to use LEXOL instead. Been using it for 40 years :D

(I mean - I called to order Leatherique instead )

I just laugh - everybody certainly has an opinion!!!

:D  :D You know, 

It's all kinda funny.....

I read the thread,  go to Leatherique.com

Find a distributor and call...

He's tells me to use LEXOL instead.  Been using it for 40 years :D

(I mean - I called to order Leatherique instead )

I just laugh -  everybody certainly has an opinion!!!

Huh?? I'm having trouble understanding your post <_< ...The guys at Leatherique told you to use Lexol? Which did you like better? I hear that Leatherique is just like Lexol to the 10th power :geek: .

I looked at Leatherique's website, and they many different products....do I order the Rejuvinator Oil(I just want to moisterize my hard leather)? Leatherique: 32oz. for $40...Lexol: 6.7oz for $5...in the end Leatherique is cheaper!

:cheers:

blake,

What I meant was;

Got a phone # from the website for a independent distributer in St. Louis. I called them (a leather shop) and ask if they had any Leatherique Oil & Cleaner. He wanted to know what it was for - I told him my 99 LS 400. The guy told me just to use Lexol Instead :lol: Best product he's every used for over forty years.

So, there ya go. I'm as dumbfounded as you are <_<

He didn't like the Leatherique cause it gets Oil on your clothes.. <_<

Does anyone have this bad experience with the OIL? HOw long does it take to dry?

99, I just read on leatherique's website: to get maximum absorbtion on your leather you need to thoroughly clean the leather before applying, and they even talk about using a very fine sand paper to wear down the coating on the leather just a bit. I'm guessing the guy you talked to didn't prep the leather right, so he got a lot of leatherique left on the seats. I find that Lexol leaves a little grease on the seats; of course, it dries quickly though. I wasn't too pleased with the results from Lexol, but seats are 10 years and old and hard as rock(I had the front seats partially reupholstered). I agree with Steve that Lexol is for maintaining leather that isn' t too hard/dried. I couldn't imagine you would already need leatherique on a 99 <_< .

:cheers:

Blake,

You are correct about my LS - still in good shape. I'm just always wanting to keep things perfect :D

I've got a bottle of Mequiares Leather conditioner I need to use up first. I apply it about every 3 months to keep seats soft....

~One mans opinion / observation~

Apply cleaning solution (Water /Woolite or Dreft 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). Gently agitate the surface with a boar’s hair cleaning brush. This removes stubborn grime and will not harm the leather. Use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse the leather.

In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils. (The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide.) If these oils are not replaced, the leather will dry out, deteriorate and crack.

Once every month or two, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. Leather conditioners with rich combinations of natural oils like Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zymol Treat or Groit’s Leather Care.

Leatherique’ Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean, or Griot’s Leather Rejuvenator are especially beneficial on neglected, abused or aged leathers that have developed "character lines".

Apply conditioner to a damp applicator pad and wipe all leather surfaces in the vehicle.

Allow 15 to 20 minutes for the oils to penetrate and give a final wipe down with a clean towel. Don't be alarmed if there is conditioner on the wipe towel. The leather will only absorb as much conditioner as it needs.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*