Hood Release Not Working

prix

I can deal with the release repair later. Meanwhile, is there a simple (uncomplicated) way to pop the hood from the outside? I know roughly where the latch is, but can't really see much through the grill. 1st gen LS400.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem. I used a screwdriver to push up on the bottom of the wire/rod attachment that releases the hook. You really need lot of light to see this through the grill. Since the hinge that connects to the grille was broken on mine, this is the only way to get it to open and the body shop I go to couldn't find cheap replacement part. I can live with it for some time.

I can deal with the release repair later. Meanwhile, is there a simple (uncomplicated) way to pop the hood from the outside? I know roughly where the latch is, but can't really see much through the grill. 1st gen LS400.

• 2 months later...
I had a similar problem. I used a screwdriver to push up on the bottom of the wire/rod attachment that releases the hook. You really need lot of light to see this through the grill. Since the hinge that connects to the grille was broken on mine, this is the only way to get it to open and the body shop I go to couldn't find cheap replacement part. I can live with it for some time.

I just bought my 1992 LS400 from a auction and I cannot pop the hood I got some pliers and pulled on the cable nothing I am looking in the grill and have no idea what i should be pulling or pushing on PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I think thoes of us that don't have this problem yet should do some looking at what measures it would take to release the latch should it happen in the future. I am going to investigate mine tomorrow and maybe even add a little something, be it a small window or a extra wire hooked to the latch that can be reached. Preventive maintenance helps to keep me out of trouble.

• 5 months later...
  • 14 years later...

Wow, fifteen years and no answer? Doesn't bode well for my brother. Someone backed into his car and dented the hood. Lexus LS400 1999. They managed to close the hood but obviously something was out of alignment and the hood will not release. I believe that he was able to have someone pull on the inside release lever while he pulled up but either the cable stretched or broke or something else changed since this seems to have no effect whatsoever now. It looks like you can see the latch release free through the grill so my guess is wherever it locked in is where the problem is. Thanks if anyone can help!