Help. Looking At '92 Sc400 W/ Only 29k

ldg

HI - new to the forum. I keep hearing "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" in my mind, and here's why. I've found a 92 SC400 presumably in storage for the last three years. flight attendant got from parents and rarely drove it. front tweeter doesn't work, rear right speaker doesn't work at all. Brakes squeak a bit, but perhaps from storage. Other than that, this car seems perfect. only 29,000 miles showing. I would welcome suggestions on what to do, what to have checked before i decide on this car. Thanks.

Carfax to check for mileage temporing. I have seen cars that averages 1k a year own by some of the seniors. If it was kept inside the garage the car should be in very good condition but if it was left outside i will be cautious. If all checks, buy it and have complete fluid change and all belts etc change. good luck.

Wow, a 92 with 29,000 miles. Definitely run the Carfax, and you should probably check the oil and power up. I would definitely recommend taking it to Lexus, and have them throughly check the car out. It's called a Pre-Certification Inspection. Cost around $150-250. Lexus has the best information to provide, so that's something to think about.

BTW, what's the asking price?

WOW!! I thought I was lucky when I bought my '95 SC400 with only 46K on it!! If the car was in storage for the last three years then it was only driven about 3K per year for the eight years before that. That might imply short trips (or one long trip per year ;) ) which can lead to plug fouling, condensation in the exhaust system etc but the exhaust is stainless and new plugs are easily installed. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and the water can settle in the master cylinder, calipers etc. I'd certainly have the brake fluid flushed and the brake hoses, seals inspected. The cooling system will need to be flushed as well. The corrosion inhibitor package in the coolant would most likely have "expired". If a car sits for a long time the tires can deform to the extent that the wheels/tires cannot be balanced. I'd also recommend the "usual" maintenance like an oil/filter change, new fluids in the trans and diff, new air filter etc .... start fresh!! DEFINITELY check out the car on CARFAX. I almost bought a '99 SC400 on eBay. The owner claimed 60K but CARFAX showed 122K on the odometer.

Let us know what you decide and if you buy the car let us know how it is.

Good luck.

:)

If the car sits stationary for a long time (I don't know how long, long is), the tires will "warp" and when you drive the warped tires will rotate and the ride would feel awkward. Well... since the car has only 29,000 miles, maybe if you look at the spark plug wires, which are dated, and if the wires are very old it has low mileage?