Rattling Noise In Trunk - 95 Es300

I have a 95 ES300 w/122,000 miles. Since around 90,000 a noise started when I go over small bumps, pot-holes, etc, where a metal-to-metal rattle occurs. It sounds like the source of the noise is in the trunk. It makes the car feel and sound cheap, which otherwise has been performing well.:chairshot:

I'm sure the source is probably the struts or bushings or something, but it is hard to diagnose as it doesn't happen when you simply push the rear bumper up and down.

I've not tried replacing the struts as I don't want to just start replacing things if I can narrow it down first. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? If so, did you fix it? What was the source?

This is a suggestion that comes from my past, way back to 1973 to be exact. My wife bought a new Cougar that year and it had a rattling sound that seemed to come from the rear of the car, when travelling over railroad tracks or hard bumps.

I searched for months and the dealer did as well. Then one day I found a half inch wide s shaped clip laying on the trunk floor. The trunk lid springs were two spring steel rods that clipped behind the trunk hinge on one side of the car, and crossed the trunk to the other side to be anchored behind the other trunk hinge. Exactly in the middle of the car the two rods touched each other as they crossed, and sure enough if you banged on the side of the bumper with your hand you could see them vibrate and rattle against each other. When the s shaped clip was put onto the two rods, locking them together the problem was solved. I don't know if your 95 has the same setup or not, but I just checked my wife's 97 and it does. There is a clip assembly in just about the same central location. Its worth taking a look at yours to see if its there and doing its job. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 95 ES300 w/122,000 miles. Since around 90,000 a noise started when I go over small bumps, pot-holes, etc, where a metal-to-metal rattle occurs. It sounds like the source of the noise is in the trunk. It makes the car feel and sound cheap, which otherwise has been performing well.:chairshot:

I'm sure the source is probably the struts or bushings or something, but it is hard to diagnose as it doesn't happen when you simply push the rear bumper up and down.

I've not tried replacing the struts as I don't want to just start replacing things if I can narrow it down first. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? If so, did you fix it? What was the source?

check the bushings on the rear stabilizer bar, common in camry's and Es 300's

• 3 months later...