The Trunk Won't Open

aka

The key won't turn to open the trunk lid for my 91 LS400, so I was using trunk lid opener under the dash panel. But I turned off the main switch this morning and the key won't turn to turn on the main switch to open the trunk. Now I can't open my trunk though the blockbuster video I have to return today is in my trunk!!! Any help or suggestion please.

The video is the least of your problems, unless you never want to use the trunk again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "main switch". Please clarify?

I take it you only have one key left and it's starting to not work in more and more places in your car?

Joe

I have not paid much attention to my LS, but can you gain access inside the trunk by removing the rear seat? Should be able to gain access at least to your items in the trunk through there, but it may be a solid panel. Not sure.

unfortuanately fuel tank is located right between the rear seat and the trunk so there is no way of opening it from inside. as to the main switch i'm sure i can understasnd what you are talking about.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar problem! Somebody tried to break into my '91 LS400. They DESTROYED the lock on the driver's side door and I think they tried to force the trunk open. I do not see any visible damage to the trunk or keyhole. However, the key goes in but does not turn to open the trunk. When I pull the release inside the car, I can hear a noise in the trunk (actuator???), but the trunk does not release. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can do to get the trunk open without wrecking the keyhole?

I think I will probably have to get a competely new set for the entire car (since I need a new one for the driver's side). Has anyone here replaced these locks in their car? Did you do it yourself? How dificult would it be?

Try having someone push "down" on the trunk while you actuate the lever and then have them pull up "after" they hear the "actuator" engage.. Also try spraying the lock mechanism with some lock spray. Then repeat the "push down/ pull up" as you turn the key.

aka:

Now I can't open my trunk though the blockbuster video I have to return today is in my trunk!!! Any help or suggestion please.

Don't go to Blockbuster anymore, start going to Hollywood Video instead...................................

Ps. Glad you got it fixed............

• 14 years later...

Sounds like access via the key is a no-go.  That leaves the switch circuit.  I have no easy fix.  Hopefully, someone will have one for you.  In the mean time....

Attached are the relative pages from my '98 FSM.  I have no work around for not having the scan tool.

DI-701 Body Control System - Luggage Opener Switch Circuit.pdf DI-703 Body Control System - Luggage Opener Motor Circuit.pdf DI-676 Body Control System - Problem Symptoms Table.pdf DI-720 Body Control System - Luggage Compartment Door Lock and Unlock Switch Circuit.pdf BE-140 Power Door Lock Control System - Inspection.pdf

On 3/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, Mv8ls4001998 said:

I have a 1998 ls 400 the trunk won’t open at all, I have the secondary key, when I pull the lever nothing but the gas tank work. I really need access to my trunk, when insert the key it just spins in a full circle no pop trunk.

Are you sure the trunk lock is not pushed in near the drivers knee? you can try what I did years ago when I locked my keys in the trunk.

This actually happened to me twice :chairshot: the first time i removed the woofer and fished around for a long time b/c there ws a lot of stuff in my trunk. The second time i removed the panel on the drivers side where the trunk and tank release levers are and closed the circuit with a piece of wire and the trunk opened right up.you see when you pull the lever it makes the contacts touch sending power to the switch which opens the trunk, but when you press the keyhole in it slides something in there that prevents you from doing this. DON'T go to the dealer or buy a new set of keys , just get a piece of wire and remove the panel to gain access to the back of the trunk release and use the wire to run voltage to the switch and call it a day :cheers:

17 hours ago, sha4000 said:

Are you sure the trunk lock is not pushed in near the drivers knee? you can try what I did years ago when I locked my keys in the trunk.

This actually happened to me twice :chairshot: the first time i removed the woofer and fished around for a long time b/c there ws a lot of stuff in my trunk. The second time i removed the panel on the drivers side where the trunk and tank release levers are and closed the circuit with a piece of wire and the trunk opened right up.you see when you pull the lever it makes the contacts touch sending power to the switch which opens the trunk, but when you press the keyhole in it slides something in there that prevents you from doing this. DON'T go to the dealer or buy a new set of keys , just get a piece of wire and remove the panel to gain access to the back of the trunk release and use the wire to run voltage to the switch and call it a day :cheers:

Good call.