Driving From London To Mongolia

Steve

A friend and I are involved in a charity car rally, facing 8,000 miles of pot-holes, strange borders and questionable food (and probably hygiene after 8k miles!) to raise money for Save The Children. We aim to raise a minimum of £1000 for Save The Children, plus we shall donate our vehicle to a charity called CDPF (Children's' Development and Protection Fund) when we reach Mongolia.

The Mongolia Charity Rally is a pan-continental drive across five mountain ranges, two deserts and enough barren and pot-holed roads, paths and terrain to ensure we'll swagger like John Wayne for a good few weeks after we complete the drive. We will start in London on the 11th July and our final destination is the great Mongol capital of Mongolia, beyond the Gobi desert, Ulaanbaatar, several weeks later. We are aiming to complete the rally in 3 weeks or less.

My team mate Dan is from Newcastle Australia, he will be flying to the UK to join up with me. We will be updating a daily blog and hope you guys will follow our adventures. Certainly going to be the toughest thing i have ever done.

The rule is we need to raise some cash for our chosen charity before we can set off. I would be grateful if members here could donate a few bucks to our Just Giving Page, in return I will get some nice LOC club stickers made up (some chrome ones are sweet?) and I will send them out to you before we leave as a thank you gesture. Also I will add you to the clubs thank you list.

justgiving_badge10.gif

They accept paypal too ;) Makes life easier

Our website is almost complete, I have a few things to add still http://www.roadwarriors.org.uk

I hope our LOC community spirit may be able to help for a few bucks.

cheers guys.

Steve

Here are a few bits about the trip, here is a funny video i found on the Mongol Rally

post-4-1236113657_thumb.jpg

We wont be in a convoy like the following, we are on our own. Not a place to break down in no mans land.

post-4-1236111913_thumb.jpg

Mongolia has some of the toughest terrain out there. But also some of the most beautiful too.

post-4-1236112404_thumb.jpg

Be careful driving through Iraq, and Iran. 2 of the most danerous regions in the world there. I know, I went to Iraq, and got blown up...Alot.

Our Vehicle we will be donating in Mongolia for the orphan children.

It is important that we help these kids who are basically left on the streets to fend for themselves due to poverty and violence. By donating our vehicles to CDPF (Children's' Development and Protection Fund) charity helps children get shelter, food, warmth from the siberian winters and a good chance of an education.

We hope our 4x4 will raise $5000 for charity alone. This is funded out of our own pockets, no charity donation goes towards this vehicle.

We are also raising money for Save the Children who are funding other charitable projects in Mongolia.

Let me know what you think of this beauty (sorry its not a Lexus.. I tried ;) )

post-4-1236375459_thumb.jpg

post-4-1236375369_thumb.jpg

post-4-1236375385_thumb.jpg

Steve...

I thought it was a Hilux Surf you guys were donating? Isuzu Trooper 3.0 CRDi Diesel engine.... hehe.. I'm 2 thumbs up for that vehicle that people do not like here in America. :)

post-9735-1236400193_thumb.jpg

We had a Hilux Surf.. a real nice one. But then the rally rules changed. The Mongolian Goverment have slapped strict rules this year and my surf would have to face $4000 import tax.

However, commercial vehicle were exempt. I had to sell the surf, then spent many hours trawling the net.. for the budget i had i could not find another Toyota.. they really hold their price.

But i wanted to stick to Jap stuff and the Isuzu was the only thing around that came in to my budget

• 4 weeks later...
Mongolia has some of the toughest terrain out there. But also some of the most beautiful too.

post-4-1236112404_thumb.jpg

You all should catch TV series "The long way around". Ewen Mcgregor (young Obi wan kenobi actor)and mate does London to NYC going across asia on BMW motorcycles and says Mongolia has about 50 miles total of paved roads country wide or something ridiculous like that, and the poor guy spent alot of time dumped in some marshy muddy slop, not easy on a big motorbike. Great series on Discovery or PBS, TLC, etc. I would do this in a heartbeat if I were not married and liable for 3 other mouths to feed!

the inspiration came from that program...

begged the wife to let me go, then she even let me sell her car to pay fo the vehicle, although i got her a new one on finance.

90 odd days left... truck is being prepped. sorting suspension out next

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just under 2 months to go, vehicle is 90% done.. but is now gonna need a clutch, ouch.

So much to sort out, but going well.

Donations are starting to come in now for my collection on Save the Children. If anyone wishes to donate a few bucks please use the link in my first post.

Only had a couple of donation from LOCUS so far ;)

A friend and I are involved in a charity car rally, facing 8,000 miles of pot-holes, strange borders and questionable food (and probably hygiene after 8k miles!) to raise money for Save The Children. We aim to raise a minimum of £1000 for Save The Children, plus we shall donate our vehicle to a charity called CDPF (Children's' Development and Protection Fund) when we reach Mongolia.

The Mongolia Charity Rally is a pan-continental drive across five mountain ranges, two deserts and enough barren and pot-holed roads, paths and terrain to ensure we'll swagger like John Wayne for a good few weeks after we complete the drive. We will start in London on the 11th July and our final destination is the great Mongol capital of Mongolia, beyond the Gobi desert, Ulaanbaatar, several weeks later. We are aiming to complete the rally in 3 weeks or less.

My team mate Dan is from Newcastle Australia, he will be flying to the UK to join up with me. We will be updating a daily blog and hope you guys will follow our adventures. Certainly going to be the toughest thing i have ever done.

The rule is we need to raise some cash for our chosen charity before we can set off. I would be grateful if members here could donate a few bucks to our Just Giving Page, in return I will get some nice LOC club stickers made up (some chrome ones are sweet?) and I will send them out to you before we leave as a thank you gesture. Also I will add you to the clubs thank you list.

justgiving_badge10.gif

They accept paypal too ;) Makes life easier

Our website is almost complete, I have a few things to add still http://www.roadwarriors.org.uk

I hope our LOC community spirit may be able to help for a few bucks.

cheers guys.

Steve

Here are a few bits about the trip, here is a funny video i found on the Mongol Rally

post-4-1236113657_thumb.jpg

We wont be in a convoy like the following, we are on our own. Not a place to break down in no mans land.

post-4-1236111913_thumb.jpg

Hey Steve, I am not quite clear as to where I send the funds to (paypal address), Please PM me or drop a link so as we all know where to donate, Many Thanks, Dcfish :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...