Good Buy Or Bad Deal?

dMiZe

Sup all,

So I am new to this forum, and have always been a huge fan of the Soarer. I wanted to get a SC300, but have recently only gotten offers for a 94 SC400 to trade with my current car (99 Solara SE). The guy is willing to trade straight up for my car, but he says that it can't really run over 30mph or so. He said that the mechanic told him that he needs to replace the 2 catalytic converters to fix the problem. I was wondering if this seems like a good deal to you guys or not? I plan on test driving his car the next time I see him, but am quite sketched out that it can't go over 30mph. Is that a common problem for anyone here? I have searched the forum for catalytic converter problems and have found a few threads relating to it, but it does seem kinda weird. Any help would be awesome.

~a potential Soarer owner

Sup all,

So I am new to this forum, and have always been a huge fan of the Soarer. I wanted to get a SC300, but have recently only gotten offers for a 94 SC400 to trade with my current car (99 Solara SE). The guy is willing to trade straight up for my car, but he says that it can't really run over 30mph or so. He said that the mechanic told him that he needs to replace the 2 catalytic converters to fix the problem. I was wondering if this seems like a good deal to you guys or not? I plan on test driving his car the next time I see him, but am quite sketched out that it can't go over 30mph. Is that a common problem for anyone here? I have searched the forum for catalytic converter problems and have found a few threads relating to it, but it does seem kinda weird. Any help would be awesome.

~a potential Soarer owner

Depends if your Solara is in good conditon. I wouldn't trade a perfectly good car for an older car that you know you are going to have to work on right from the start. The SC 400's aren't all that. I own one. I have wanted one for years and finally got one. Luckily, I got an excellent deal. So I don't have much in mine. I was blinded by wanting the car more than anything. Now that I own it, I am wondering was it really worth it. Due to the age of them, they are going to have problems. You get what you pay for. I have never had good luck with a Toyota product anyhow. Everyone I have owned has been plagued with problems. My opinion, it sounds like you have the nicer car. I am new to this forum as well. Good luck with your searching for your dream car.