1998 Es300 Check Engine Trac Control Problems

I have a 1998 ES300 with 160K on it. About six months ago, I developed a hole in the exhaust and found that it was in the section that includes the catalytic converter. The local muffler shop replaced it with an after market converter. Everything was fine for about three months then the check engine light came on followed a couple of days later by the Trac Contol light.

I went to the Lexus dealership and was told that it was a P0420 code that meant that the converter was not functioning properly. They offered to put in an $1800 OEM converter and I politely decline as that would be 80% of the current value of the car. I also asked why the traction control would be turned off because of emmision problems. They did not have an answer. Next I went back to the muffler shop and they replaced the converter on warranty. They noted that there was soot in the exhaust pipe and said that it may be running too rich. I took it to a garage and they tested the car and said that it was not running rich.

Another three months passed and same problem all over again. So do I just live with no traction control (not the best idea in Minnesota).

I should also mention that I have had other electrical problems:

1. The light indicating that a tail light is out is on all the time. Lexus says that this is because I used the $1.29 auto shop bulbs instead of their $5 bulbs.

2. The security system goes off periodically for no apparent reason.

Thanks for any thoughts on what to do

• 1 month later...

Id like an answer too

I have the same catalytic converter problem but shop told me to do OE bc the engine light would turn on again

but then again there might be a good aftermarket....

CEL light + Trac Control off light....

also has anyone had a problem where the accelerator stopped accelerating and high rpm now speed would not pass 40mph??? this happened to me once and then i drain + filled ATF and then havent had the problem but i feel the car is a sluggish even tho i can reach higher speeds?...

My car is 2000 Es300 with 160K

I cant help with the converter issue but I do know that everytime I have a CE light for more than a week or so the TCS light turns on and the TCS doesnt work. When I fix the check engine light the TCS magically works again. Someone once said Lexus programed this on purpose so that you would be more likely to go to the dealer for repair but I dont know if there is any truth behind it.

Who changed your cat., make sure he knows what he is doing. I had same problem, that guy change two-three times,

I took it to other mechanic he install from orailly"Walker" brand @ appro. 286,000 miles today i have over 351,000

with out any problem. total cost was $240 including part+welding labor

Hope that helps.