A Battered 95-97 Ls400

90LS400Lexus

Has anyone ever seen a battered, well-abused LS400?

I have seen my first one. Today at one of our (we have 2 here in town and 4 in the metro area) local Super Wal-Mart parking lots I seen a blue 1995, 1996 or 1997 LS400 in the parking lot- just a few cars up from mine. The rear bumper had a big rip in the cover and the trunk had a big dent, as if they had backed into a pole at about 15 mph. It had been done for a while, as the paint was gone there and it had a light coating of surface rust. It had numerous scrapes on the driver side, as well as a few dents on the LF fender. The passenger side was even worse, as it had a fairly large bashed in place on the front part of the RF bumper and the parking lights there were broken. The windows were so dirty- that I do not know how they could even see out of them. The interior was also dirty and cluttered and looked like it had never been cleaned. There was also numerous scrapes on the passenger side. I took note of all of this because I had never seen a Lexus in this poor condition before.

I have seen my first one. Today at one of our (we have 2 here in town and 4 in the metro area) local Super Wal-Mart parking lots I seen a blue 1995, 1996 or 1997 LS400 in the parking lot- just a few cars up from mine. The rear bumper had a big rip in the cover and the trunk had a big dent, as if they had backed into a pole at about 15 mph. It had been done for a while, as the paint was gone there and it had a light coating of surface rust. It had numerous scrapes on the driver side, as well as a few dents on the LF fender. The passenger side was even worse, as it had a fairly large bashed in place on the front part of the RF bumper and the parking lights there were broken. The windows were so dirty- that I do not know how they could even see out of them. The interior was also dirty and cluttered and looked like it had never been cleaned. There was also numerous scrapes on the passenger side. I took note of all of this because I had never seen a Lexus in this poor condition before.

Come to southern california...more specifically orange county. You'll see lots of ratty Lexus (and I'm talking about LS400's) being driven by college students that have been given to them by their parents. These are hand-me-downs that the students do not take care of. You've got to have a lot of money to hand someone a Lexus, pay for the upkeep and college and....oh well. Some of us had to work our way through college so this kind of thing is particularly aggravating when there is no pride of ownership for such a beautiful car. :angry:

Also really common around here. People with a lot of money and a car is just something like a breifcase to them. I try to live by what my father always told me, he'd drive a dirty beat up car as soon as he'd go to work in a stained and ripped up suit.

I mean, these people should pay the $10 an run it through a carwash once a month, it'd be an improvement. See it all the time, S class benz, LS's, 7 series that have never seen a wash since they were new. Some even with the temporary tags still on that look like hell.

As a matter of fact on Autopia I was chatting with some of the professional detailers and we were talking about S class Benzes and how they always seem to be the dirtiest and nastiest cars they have to detail. They know they have their work cut out for them when they see one on the day's agenda. I have to agree, almost every S CLass Benz around here is dirty and beat up, even the brand new ones. They're often driven by rich wives.

I see beat up early-mid 90's LS400s all the time over here in Seattle. I saw a blue one a few days ago in the S. Seattle area that had a thick layer of dirt and a huge dent on the rear corner.

I looked at another black LS400 with the regular grey/silver at the bottom before I bought mine last year. That car was TRASHED. Chips all on the front and the paint was dull. Some younger kid in his early 20's owned it. The driver seat had a seat cover on it. Pulled cover up and the seat was ripped and trashed. He had junk in the back seat too. He wanted about $1,200 more that what I bought mine for. What a joke. You have to really work to trash these cars cause they're pretty well built with quality stuff. It's takes years of pounding and neglect to achieve the ghetto look with these cars.

I just don't understand it? These are very nice luxury cars that are built to last. Why be so irresponsible and let a quality car like this get so !Removed!?

I think your car is a reflection of you in some ways. I've always kept my vehicles in pretty good shape. It's more of a hobby to me and it feels very good driving a clean car. Why not? It's not that expensive to buy some soap, cloths, tire gloss, wax, etc and wash it yourself at home. If you live in a apt? Bring it to one of those do it yourself places and wash it for about $3-5. Hand dry it and add tire gloss. Go to vacum and pay .50 to clean inside and throw out your fast food garbage. Not too hard and takes about 30 mins of your lazy weekend afternoon. All for a newer looking car...

I think when my LS400 is clean, it looks newer...

And actually there is a significant value difference if your car is well cared for vs if it was not when you go to trade it in. When my dad traded his 98 LS they gave him ABOVEblue book for it right off the bat because it was in such great shape. When I was looking at CPO LS400s the price was 2-3k more always for a car is excellent condition.

Yep, that's true SW. A clean and well kept car always gets max value for it's year and mileage. I know you're Dad's LS was really nice. I remember talking to ya bout it.

How do you think these use car lots do it? The can get a dirty, unkept car from auction or trade and sell it for much more than what they got it for. They do a moderate to poor detail job and steam clean the engine or just use engine brite. They pay attention to the paint finish (maybe wax if they can't get a good shine) and engine. Cheap lots do a minimal amount of interior detailing. Too time consuming. Good car lots will put new rubber on the car if the tires are worn. They'll put the cheapest tires they can on there. You can get 16" new tires for $60-70/piece. Cheapest brands that you can think of. They'll pick up cars with bad trannys and replace the tranny with a used one from a junk yard. They buy a late 90's vehicle for under half it's book value in good condition but with a problem. Body work is usually avoided because it's generally very expensive and hard to field estimate. Fixing mechanical stuff can usually be done by their lot grease monkey or some dirty garage that contracts to work on their cars for cheap. They always fix the car with the cheapest parts available, used if possible.

• 9 months later...

Around here- they can take it through a good automatic wash for $5.00-$7.00

I seen another well battered 90-92 LS400 yesterday. Ironically, it was in the parking lot where I work and it is the exact same color (walnut pearl) that my LS 400 was. It had a nearly flat right rear tire, the trunk was badly mis-aligned, there were numerous scratches and dings. It had a lighter interior than my car- it was tan colored. That is the ONLY other LS400 I have seen in person that was the same color as my old LS. Most of the 90-94 LS400s I see around here are still in pristine conditions.

I mean, these people should pay the $10 an run it through a carwash once a month, it'd be an improvement. See it all the time, S class benz, LS's, 7 series that have never seen a wash since they were new. Some even with the temporary tags still on that look like hell.

I have seen my first one.  Today at one of our (we have 2 here in town and 4 in the metro area) local Super Wal-Mart parking lots I seen a blue 1995, 1996 or 1997 LS400 in the parking lot- just a few cars up from mine.  The rear bumper had a big rip in the cover and the trunk had a big dent, as if they had backed into a pole at about 15 mph.  It had been done for a while, as the paint was gone there and it had a light coating of surface rust.  It had numerous scrapes on the driver side, as well as a few dents on the LF fender.  The passenger side was even worse, as it had a fairly large bashed in place on the front part of the RF bumper and the parking lights there were broken.  The windows were so dirty- that I do not know how they could even see out of them.  The interior was also dirty and cluttered and looked like it had never been cleaned.  There was also numerous scrapes on the passenger side.  I took note of all of this because I had never seen a Lexus in this poor condition before.

Come to southern california...more specifically orange county. You'll see lots of ratty Lexus (and I'm talking about LS400's) being driven by college students that have been given to them by their parents. These are hand-me-downs that the students do not take care of. You've got to have a lot of money to hand someone a Lexus, pay for the upkeep and college and....oh well. Some of us had to work our way through college so this kind of thing is particularly aggravating when there is no pride of ownership for such a beautiful car. :angry:

I feel your pain. I am also a college student who got a 1994 LS400 from my parents. They now drive a 2000 LS430. However, I do take pride for my car, and I just love the way how 1994 looks (mind you, I find older model LS prettier than newer ones. 94LS400 is even bigger in storage than 2000LS430). Anyway, college students are actually quite busy, and since I live in Michigan (U of Mich, Ann Arbor). It is especially tougher to keep the car in shape in snow season. At most, I bring the car to a DIY car-wash place.

I have seen my first one.  Today at one of our (we have 2 here in town and 4 in the metro area) local Super Wal-Mart parking lots I seen a blue 1995, 1996 or 1997 LS400 in the parking lot- just a few cars up from mine.  The rear bumper had a big rip in the cover and the trunk had a big dent, as if they had backed into a pole at about 15 mph.  It had been done for a while, as the paint was gone there and it had a light coating of surface rust.  It had numerous scrapes on the driver side, as well as a few dents on the LF fender.  The passenger side was even worse, as it had a fairly large bashed in place on the front part of the RF bumper and the parking lights there were broken.  The windows were so dirty- that I do not know how they could even see out of them.  The interior was also dirty and cluttered and looked like it had never been cleaned.  There was also numerous scrapes on the passenger side.  I took note of all of this because I had never seen a Lexus in this poor condition before.

I feel your pain. I am also a college student who got a 1994 LS400 from my parents. They now drive a 2000 LS430. However, I do take pride for my car, and I just love the way how 1994 looks (mind you, I find older model LS prettier than newer ones. 94LS400 is even bigger in storage than 2000LS430). Anyway, college students are actually quite busy, and since I live in Michigan (U of Mich, Ann Arbor). It is especially tougher to keep the car in shape in snow season. At most, I bring the car to a DIY car-wash place.

you shoudl also do a hand wax 3 times a year, at least, the car was h wax doesnt cut it.

plenty of those here in NYC area as well, ppl just drive to the ground, my friend works at the dodge dealer and he got one as a trade in for 300$

dead tranny, ruined interior etc.... it was a pityful view......