2005 Rx330 Transmsiion Question

ericg

I have a 2005 RX330 with 15k miles. Ever since I purchased the car new, the transmission has had some issues. Initially, as the car was coming to a stop, I would feel a slight bump as if someone had tapped the rear of the car, just as it slowed to to under 5mph . I brought it back to the dealer and they reflashed the computer for the transmission. Now it almost seems like the lockup torque converter is releasing at under 10 mph and you can hear it. Has anyone else had any issues like this? Are there any TSB's that would apply to this situation or do I have to learn to live wih it? I love the car and this has been my only complaint. Thanks in advance

Eric

Transmission shift firmware has been "new and improved" several times for the RX330 over the past three or four years. If more than two years have passed since you last had your firmware reflashed, have your dealer ping yours again with the latest and greatest release. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, but if they'll do it for free under warranty it is certainly worth the time and effort involved....

Keep in mind that the conventional RX series is a harsh-shifting vehicle, period. My wife had a 2000 RX300 AWD and now has a 2004 RX330 AWD and while the 2004 is consistently better than the 2000 was, neither one even comes close to shifting as smoothly and effortlessly as my 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-litre V8 1500-series pickup does. Sad but true....

Transmission shift firmware has been "new and improved" several times for the RX330 over the past three or four years. If more than two years have passed since you last had your firmware reflashed, have your dealer ping yours again with the latest and greatest release. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, but if they'll do it for free under warranty it is certainly worth the time and effort involved....

Keep in mind that the conventional RX series is a harsh-shifting vehicle, period. My wife had a 2000 RX300 AWD and now has a 2004 RX330 AWD and while the 2004 is consistently better than the 2000 was, neither one even comes close to shifting as smoothly and effortlessly as my 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9-litre V8 1500-series pickup does. Sad but true....

Thanks RX. I really love the vehicle. Other than this issue, there isn't one thing that I can complain about.

That bump you would feel is the transmission shifting back into low gear as you stop. What happens is when you take your foot off the gas to stop the transmission will shift into a high gear and coast to save fuel. This is done to get better fuel economy. Then the transmission will get back into low gear as you stop, this is the bump, preparing to take off again. If you have ever let full off the throttle and had the transmission go into high gear then got back hard on the throttle you would notice a delay in the throttle response, that is the computer letting the transmission get back into the proper gear before hard acceleration to keep the transmission safe. This started with the drive by wire throttle.

Jeff

That bump you would feel is the transmission shifting back into low gear as you stop. What happens is when you take your foot off the gas to stop the transmission will shift into a high gear and coast to save fuel. This is done to get better fuel economy. Then the transmission will get back into low gear as you stop, this is the bump, preparing to take off again. If you have ever let full off the throttle and had the transmission go into high gear then got back hard on the throttle you would notice a delay in the throttle response, that is the computer letting the transmission get back into the proper gear before hard acceleration to keep the transmission safe. This started with the drive by wire throttle.

Jeff

Jeff, thank so much for explaining the transmission issue in a way that is easy to understand. I have spoken to other RX owners who have said that they notice the same thing. This drive by wire transition is taking me a long time to get used to.

Eric