Rapid Turn Signal Problem Solution

gbhrps

My wife's 97 develops a rapid left turn signal about every 6 months. The darn thing will work fine for half a year and then suddenly one day will blink like a mad fiend. I have found that the problem with her car is in the front turn signal light. Pull the whole light assembly from the front of the car (you have to take out the one mounting screw found under the black plastic panel that covers the radiator support, right next to the extreme right top corner of the driver's headlight). To get the turn signal assembly out, once the screw has been removed, can be done by taping up the blade end of a large screw driver (to keep from chipping the paint) and inserting it in between the black gasket of the turn signal light body and the fender, right at the back edge of the light closest to the driver's door. Be careful, and patient, and by grabbing the screw driver head in one hand and the blade itself, near where the tip is inserted, with your other hand, pull the whole unit towards the front of the car. It will pop out eventually, but you will have to work at it, being carefull not to scratch anything. When out, and the bulb removed from the light assembly, I was able to restretch the spring shaped contacts that are inside the light bulb socket. Reinstall the bulb and my problem was solved, for another 6 months. Apparently the contacts lose their shape, don't really contact the bulb well enough to make a good electrical connection, change the resistance on the circuit, and the whole thing speeds up. Hope this helps someone!

Not to say that y'all are wrong, but often times something like this is caused by a bad bulb in either your front or rear turn signal circuit (there's only 2 bulbs, and I don't believe they're tied into the rear light failure warning circuit b/c they cause the rapid blinking when one's out, thereby defeating the need for them to be tied into that warning system). Anyhow, just sounds sorta strange that you'd have that problem, but I guess if you fixed it, then go you. ;) I have another one of those off the driver side if you want it (removable turn signal bulb socket). Works fine, came outta my wrecked car. Lemme know and maybe I can mail it to ya if you want. Also, on removin the headlights, you shouldn't have to do the whole screwdriver bit; I just grab the whole assembly however I can manage to get a grip on it and pull until it comes loose, but I guess the screwdriver thing works. Just seems a little more risky B)

Lex3486: I didn't take the headlight assembly out of the car. It was the turn signal lens assembly, and you can't get it out by grabbing it anyway that you can on a 97 ES 300, since there is nowhere to grab it. You have to get something behind the lens assembly to pop it out. I'm sure there is a Toyota procedure for doing so, and I'd be most appreciative if anyone knew how it was done. As well, the front turn signal bulb in question has been changed in the past to correct the problem. It didn't. The problem was only corrected by stretching the spring contacts in the bulb socket, which as I said corrects the problem for about 6 months.

Aaah, okay; I thought your car was a 96 or older. Well in that case, then yeah, there is no other way that I could think of to get your signal out. I'm used to my 93, so when you said that, I was like "wait a minute..." :rolleyes: