Yikes! Just Removed The Cabin Air Filter!

K9crew

I was looking through the manual this morning to see if there's a way to set the vents to outside "fresh" air when the car is parked all day to allow the car to breathe (didn't find any info on that). I knew about the cabin air filter but hadn't removed it or looked at it in the six weeks since buying the car in Houston. The intstructions for removing it seemed simple so I opened the glove box, removed the two plastic pieces and pulled it out. Here's what I found ...

cabinfilter.jpg

Probably the original filter by the looks of it!!

:blink:

K9,

Mine looked the same way when I changed it in late summer @53K. I have printout from Lexus that shows my vehicle was serviced @ 15,30, & 45K before I got the car. EVERY ONE of these services includes a NEW CABIN FILTER - but I guess the DEALER <_< JUST HAPPENED TO FORGET :angry: and propably charged the previous owner with it anyway <_<

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DIY . If I do take it to shop, I check EVERYTHING out myself and leave CLUES so I KNOW IF IT WAS DONE OR NOT......

I printed out prices from IRONTOAD.. I think the filter was $35 online. Showed the price to Lexus Dealer, and parts guy (although not always) matched the price. Lexus retail is $55.00

That is nasty!

:( You're right about that! I'm thinking about driving home tonight without the filter but then a bunch of crap might come out of the vents. I have a can of Dust Demon that I could use to get the worst of the dirt off until I can pick up a replacement. My dealer has cabin filters for $49.92 plus tax but they're available on eBay for less ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=42612

Makes me wish that K&N sold them since they'd be cleanable and reusable!

:)

My LS has been taken in for service religiously by the previous owner every 5K ... I have the records from the dealership. According to my records the filter was "inspected" at the 45K mile service on 10-22-02 so 15K miles and just over one year later the filter looks like this!! Makes me wonder if the dealership even looked at the filter. They claimed to do so much other work at that time so perhaps they missed it. Anyway, like you I do ALL my own work.

The '93 a/c filters are activated charcoal and the last time I checked at a dealer[long ago] they were $75.

Instead of buying, I blew them out--but will want some soon------I said 'want' not 'need'----you really don't need to replace them---but you should want to----

Other cars don't even have filters-------the Lexus has filters that will STOP smoke particles !!!!!!!!

Note that these are not just "pieces of paper"(at least the '93); and this stuff is expensive.

Use a vacuum cleaner and clean the filter. Since most of the dirt is dry, you can clean it easily.

Then spray dome disinfective spray and you can use it for another while :)

Some of the people I know, use a large A/C filter and then cut it into pieces, will also work.

However, the perfectionist among us should just get a brandnew one :)

Hey don't you 99LS guys have Hepafilters on your Lexi's?

If anybody's interested, I'm planning on getting a filter for my 94. If you're interested, let me know. I can do a group buy.

Hey don't you 99LS guys have Hepafilters on your Lexi's?

ucf3,

NO hepa for the 99 - think they started it with the 01 model year....

Anyway, I have kept and CLEANED THE OLD FILTER - and does look pretty good : :) Lexus part # 87139-50010

I originally bought a TOYOTA FILTER - PART # 87139-48020 because it fit nicely and was only $22.00

Then I felt TOO MUCH AIR FLOW - so I paid AGAIN for the real OEM lexus deal. So I blew the extra $22 :(

The one in my 01 C4 looked like that at about 8k miles. A really good filter doesn't last very long. I build my own replacement with 3M filtrete furnance filter material purchased at Home Depot. One $15 filter can be used to make three Lexus filters or six C4 filters.

its nt original. this is what happens to the filter after one year. i replaced mine a year ago and now it looks just like urz. all youhave to do it clean it with compressed air and its gonna serve you another year.

There's so much excellent information here with numerous options presented .... THANKS to VMF, wwest, 99, UCF3, tansupplyman, jdmparts and VBdenny ...

Since this is the first time that I'm changing the filter I think I'll buy a new one because I really don't know when it was changed last. At least I can monitor the new one to get some idea of it's useable life. Perhaps a trip to Home Depot for a furnace filter is in my future ...

Thanks again for the excellent comments and advice.

I took the advice of VMF, jdmparts and 99 and used a vacuum cleaner and compressed air to clean the filter. When I was blowing air through it (clean side to dirty side) a ton of dust and crap came out ... uurrghh!! I guess I've been inhaling that stuff for years when driving other "non-filtered" vehicles. Anyway, I vacuumed inside the box above the blower, cleaned the cover and reinstalled the filter. It occured to me that $50 is ridiculous for that piece of paper. I'm inclined to follow wwest or jdmparts' suggestion of making my own filters. Paper is a good medium for filtration since it's quite restricitve and the pleats trap and hold the big stuff such as bugs, leaves, hair etc. I would think that someone could make a killing manufacturing and selling good alternative cheaper filters ... hmmmm.

• 6 months later...

K9, check this out: http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=1999ls400 . Irontoad.com has the cabin filter for $24! Man newlexusparts really got me when I paid $40 for the same thing! I've ordered from both companies, and both were very pleasurable experiences! :)

:cheers:

Thanks for the heads up on the Cabin filters. I have a 93 Ls 400 128,000 miles. I have not ever changed the cabin filter, I'm a little worried what this thing will look like when I remove it. I will be changing it this weekend.