Brake Pads For Ls430

curiousB

2004 LS430 Brakes

I replaced my brake pads several months back with some after market semi metallic bands (Bendix brand). I didn't replace and I didn't resurface the rotors at the time.

Just recently I noticed a slight grabbing of the brakes at very slow speeds (just before stopping). I don't think its warped rotors because I don't feel any shimmy in the steering wheel (at any speed) which is more typical for warped rotors. A few questions for some of the experts out there:

1) What does Lexus use for the OEM pads? ceramic, friction, or semi metallic pads?

2) Does this grabbing symptom sound familiar to anyone? I am wondering is the metal in my replacement pads has somehow contaminated the rotors?

3) Are these cars know for easily warping rotors? I had a Volvo many years back that was notorious for warped rotors.

4) Anyone got any good suggestions for replacement pad brand (I guess I could get Lexus OEM pads but probably 2-3X the price).

Any help appreciated.

I can address a couple of your questions.

The 90-91 LS was known for warping rotors and mainly if the lug nuts were unevenly torqued. The rotors were made thicker beginning in 1992 and I don't remember hearing about rotor warping on later model year LS cars.

I changed the front brake pads myself just once on my 90 LS400 -- it was the first time the pads were changed since I had bought the car new. I didn't have the rotors turned, I used OEM pads and needlessly bought the complete pad kit including all new shims. The results were not very satisfactory. I forgot the exact problem - noise or vibration - but after that, I had a shop replace brake my pads (OEM only) and turn the rotors.

The brake pads on my 2000 LS400 last so long and it costs so little to have OEM pads installed and the rotors turned, that I decided it was not worth my time to do the work myself.

The front brake pads on my 00 LS were replaced by my favorite indie Lexus shop for the first time at about 72,000 miles and I expect the original rear pads will last to at least 120,000 miles. The car is currently at 107,000 miles. I check the pad thickness each time I rotate the tires - every 5,000 miles.

Not including tax, I was charged about $215 for the installation of new OEM front pads and to have the rotors turned on the 00 LS. The front pads were about $59 of the cost.

I see OEM front pads for your 04 LS online for $55.96. http://www.lexuspartsonline.com/index2.htm...p;siteid=214281 You might be able to find OEM pads even cheaper on eBay or from another online seller.

• 2 weeks later...
2004 LS430 Brakes

I replaced my brake pads several months back with some after market semi metallic bands (Bendix brand). I didn't replace and I didn't resurface the rotors at the time.

Just recently I noticed a slight grabbing of the brakes at very slow speeds (just before stopping). I don't think its warped rotors because I don't feel any shimmy in the steering wheel (at any speed) which is more typical for warped rotors. A few questions for some of the experts out there:

1) What does Lexus use for the OEM pads? ceramic, friction, or semi metallic pads?

2) Does this grabbing symptom sound familiar to anyone? I am wondering is the metal in my replacement pads has somehow contaminated the rotors?

3) Are these cars know for easily warping rotors? I had a Volvo many years back that was notorious for warped rotors.

4) Anyone got any good suggestions for replacement pad brand (I guess I could get Lexus OEM pads but probably 2-3X the price).

Any help appreciated.

2004 LS430 Brakes

Any help appreciated.

I use AKiBONo Pro Ceramics on all of my Lexuses. They come with shims. Turn the rotors (havwe them watch servicelimits on rotor width) and watch break-in procedures. I've used them on three LS400 and 1 LS430 with no problems. Tirerack has them... Good luck. Also warped rotors typically will be felt through the brake pedal as a sort of pulsing up and down under light brake pedal pressure. You can check run-out pretty easily. Watch torque values on wheel lugs and make sure you tighten in a star pattern on the lugs (I use 75 ft/lb on the torque value).