Rotten Egg Smell

cliffypitbull

I have a 2005 SC 430 that gives off that rotten egg smell everytime after a hard accelleration. What causes it and how can I fix the stank?

Thanks for any help, Cliff

most often times it comes down to the brand and grade of gas you are using. Try various brands and see if the smell lessens with others.

If you search on "sulfur" or "rotten eggs" you will find many a thread.

If you look on www.alldata.com at most any year and model of Lexus, you will see a TSB announcement usually entitled "Exhaust System - Excessive Sulfur Odors".

steviej

• 1 month later...
I have a 2005 SC 430 that gives off that rotten egg smell everytime after a hard accelleration. What causes it and how can I fix the stank?

Thanks for any help, Cliff

most often times it comes down to the brand and grade of gas you are using. Try various brands and see if the smell lessens with others.

If you search on "sulfur" or "rotten eggs" you will find many a thread.

If you look on www.alldata.com at most any year and model of Lexus, you will see a TSB announcement usually entitled "Exhaust System - Excessive Sulfur Odors".

steviej

I just wanted to update some. I had been using Hess gas mainly since I bought my car because it was always the cheapest using 93 octane.

I have been trying different gas stations and have tried Shell and Mobile so far. Doing at least 4-5 tank fulls of each different gas. Shell dramitically reduced "the smell" in frequincy and amount of stank. Mobile reduced the frequincy of smell but when it did smell it was alot worse of stink. I just started yesterday trying Sunoco. We will so how that works and I will also try Lukeoil and Texaco and a couple other brands around here and I will keep the board informed.

• 2 months later...

The Nissan Sentra we bought for our daughter in 01, had that smell wicked bad. I switched brands of gasoline and it mostly was gone. I could never quite grasp the concept of why a Toyota could burn thae gas with no smell and the Nissan had it. Oh I did take it back to the dealer and they gave me the grease rack shuffle on the reason. All check out and good to go they told me with a smile. It won't hurt anything they assured me.

When the car was a year old, my wife put the thing backwards into a wall on the Capital Beltway when she hit black ice. She was fine and the smell disappeared.

• 9 years later...

Hello everyone, I recently discovered how to fix a 'rotten egg' smell in the cabin on my 2007 Lexus IS250, which was driving me crazy.

I had mentioned it to the Lexus dealership, when the car was in for service, without satisfaction........they palmed me off saying that the car was running perfectly and that the smell was a common issue with my model Lexus. Well that's not good enough Lexus !!!

I was hell-bent of finding a solution, read up on various web links that it could be the catalytic converter, etc. etc. ........but guess what, it's not that difficult to fix !

It was purely the case of blocking off a couple of air-vents in the boot of the car, which are badly designed by Lexus, that let exhaust gasses into the cabin. They are poorly designed with a gravity operated plastic flap, that having deteriorated over time, no longer seals the vents to prevent exhaust gasses from being sucked back into the car. See video link here below on how to DIY change/repair this vents at home. 
I simply blocked them off with a thin piece of plastic cut-to-size and glued into position.

Now, no more smell, even under heavy acceleration..........happy motoring !!!   DIY: Lexus ISF IS250 IS350 rear duct vent replacement - YouTube

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...