Got Factory Subwoofer Working W/ Aftermarket Headunit

twong82

I finally got the stock sub working with my aftermarket stereo. No audio integration harness is needed. All you need is a RCA to speaker wire cable and tap into the Sub + and Sub - wires (black wire and white wire). I was following the diagram http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf for Socket D and it lists the Sub + signal as D1 and Sub - signal as D5 ; however that did not work so I thought maybe I was looking at the diagram backwards. So I tried tapping the speaker wire to D4 and D10 and heard the subwoofer. So it appears you need to tap into D4 and D10 instead of D1 and D5. Great day. Got the subwoofer working and installed the double DIN Metra kit.

post-80147-1235235164_thumb.jpg

post-80147-1235235179_thumb.jpg

post-80147-1235235187_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So are you powering the sub with your deck or with the amplifier next to the sub? Looks like from the drawing the D9 and D10 wires are the ones to tap if you are powering with your own amp or deck. Do you have 12 volts at the amp? What are the connections you used to connect your aftermarket to the wiring in the Lexus, will be switching mine out with a DVD with screen so I'd like to know if you found connectors to go from your stereo to the factory harness and which wires for the antenna? Thanks for all your help in advance.

I finally got the stock sub working with my aftermarket stereo. No audio integration harness is needed. All you need is a RCA to speaker wire cable and tap into the Sub + and Sub - wires (black wire and white wire). I was following the diagram http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf for Socket D and it lists the Sub + signal as D1 and Sub - signal as D5 ; however that did not work so I thought maybe I was looking at the diagram backwards. So I tried tapping the speaker wire to D4 and D10 and heard the subwoofer. So it appears you need to tap into D4 and D10 instead of D1 and D5. Great day. Got the subwoofer working and installed the double DIN Metra kit.

I have had dreams of my dash looking that good! I have been through you know what trying to put a radio in my car. I have pulled it out three times, only to give up out of frustration. I have been proficient in car stereo installation for over 20 years, but this NAKAMICHI system is something that I cannot master. I have purchased wiring kits that do not work. I have also thought about cutting the factory harnesses and start from scratch. I also have tried numerous times to log on to the link mentioned in your post, no luck. Where can I find a color code or wiring diagram that tells what each wire is so I can wire this up myself? Also, can an aftermarket radio be wired to utilize the factory amp? Does the Nakamichi amp power the sub as well? I have so many questions I don't know where to start. Thanks for any help.

Ripped all of the Nakamichi junk out! Put new door speakers and tweeters in. Replaced rear deck speakers and the sub. Sub got replaced with a Kicker competition 8. Put a strictly digital input Alpine head unit in with an Autotek amp bridged pushing the 8. Rest of speakers running off of deck power. Now it sounds like it should. Clear and loud.

• 3 weeks later...

HI, I AM ON THE SAME ROUTE, BUT WHERE WILL THE RCA PLUG INTO, BOTH OF MY RCA OCCUPIED, IAM USING A HARNESS THAT INTEGRATE INTO MY FACTORY AMPS. BUT SUB IS NOT WORKING. CAN YOU GIVE ME MORE INSIGHT?

THANKS....

• Like 1

I went to that site link, but it is for the Pioneer sound system. Is this the same wiring diagram for the Nakamichi system? I am looking to do the exact thing shown with the 2DIN application that is pictured with the Kenwood unit on this thread. Already replaced both front door speakers that were dry rotted, looking to replace the rear speakers sonn and grab a new head unit. Also, is it wise to just use the stock Nakamichi amp and wire the new head intot the existing harness? A lot less hassle, I think. But does anyone like Metra make a harness adapter that will mate? Almost forgot, 1995 SC400.

• 1 month later...

HI, I AM ON THE SAME ROUTE, BUT WHERE WILL THE RCA PLUG INTO, BOTH OF MY RCA OCCUPIED, IAM USING A HARNESS THAT INTEGRATE INTO MY FACTORY AMPS. BUT SUB IS NOT WORKING. CAN YOU GIVE ME MORE INSIGHT?

THANKS....

I used the RCA subout on my headunit to plug into the subwoofer. If you run out of RCA outputs on your headunit then you will have to split it. I did not use the factory amp integration harness for any connections to the sub.

Can anyone tell me if the sub is a 5", 5.5" or 6.5"?? I was thinking of using a small amp (maybe an 'Lil Wonder) and a Tang Band sub (5.5" or 6.5") or a Focal (5") sub.

Thanks

I believe the factory sub is 8". It is a shallow sub.

I went to that site link, but it is for the Pioneer sound system. Is this the same wiring diagram for the Nakamichi system? I am looking to do the exact thing shown with the 2DIN application that is pictured with the Kenwood unit on this thread. Already replaced both front door speakers that were dry rotted, looking to replace the rear speakers sonn and grab a new head unit. Also, is it wise to just use the stock Nakamichi amp and wire the new head intot the existing harness? A lot less hassle, I think. But does anyone like Metra make a harness adapter that will mate? Almost forgot, 1995 SC400.

The Nakamichi system is much more complicated. I don't think there is a wiring diagram for it. I don't think anyone makes a harness that plugs into the Nakamichi amp.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the same thing with my car and it worked great! for a week. Now I am getting no sound from my sub. The sub itself works, but the amplifier is not putting out anything. Any suggestions on why this is happening? The radio 1 and 2 fuses are fine. Is there a fuse for just the sub amp? Any help I can get would be great. Without a sub, these 4" speakers sound terrible.

You shot your amp :snoooorrrtttt: Nak speakers (4") are specific to the system................ If you are going aftermarket, Go totally aftermarket or deal with the idiosyncricies :P I do not deal in aftermarket parts for reasons that only highly inteligent masters of lexus/toyota systems create and respect.

After all it is "YOUR" car......................... Oh Yeah, Good Luck.................

I have the pioneer system not Nak. I have been using aftermarket speakers powered by the factory pioneer amp fand headunit or years now with no problem. I just got a new aftermarket headunit and wired it the same way that twong82 did. What exactly caused the amp to blow? Especially since it worked great before. Thanks for your response by the way.

I too replaced the stock 4" drivers in the doors and the deck with drop in Infinity's. No problem as long as you use the same impedence. Didn't want to invest thousands into an audio system, just wanted to get rid of the dry rotted speakers. The sub right now looks and sounds perfect, however I know for certain that after market subs - even cheapos - blow this stock one away. That Kenwood install looks great in the car. I found that the head unit alone with Navi is about $1500 USD. That's crazy - about 1/4 the value of the car - then add to that some MB Quart speakers and some clean power - watch your account drain. This economy right now doesn't justify it, unfortunately. Eventually I may convert the head unit and do a complete install, but am afraid of installing an audio system worth more than the car.

Or, you can go to Wal-mart and purchase a scosche wiring harness adapter for a 1991 toyota supra and throw a system in the trunk. :unsure:

Ripped all of the Nakamichi junk out! Put new door speakers and tweeters in. Replaced rear deck speakers and the sub. Sub got replaced with a Kicker competition 8. Put a strictly digital input Alpine head unit in with an Autotek amp bridged pushing the 8. Rest of speakers running off of deck power. Now it sounds like it should. Clear and loud.

Is your NAK amp any good? Looking to seel it if so? I need of one terribly.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is looking to rewire the entire system that has Nakamichi, heres the link for all of the wiring.

http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradiowcd.pdf

I used this guideline for my install. I simply replaced the headunit with something else and disconnected the factory amp, and reused the factory wiring in the rear of the car. I had to run all new wires to the rear and then tapped in from the inside the trunk. Alot of work, but well worth it. If anyone wants more detail at exactly what I did, just ask. And yes, I am still using the factory subwoofer with another amp.

• 1 month later...

What speakers did you put in? I have been thinking about doing the samething to mine.

-Thanks,

Taylor

• 3 weeks later...
awesome man, that is good news for anyone trying to put in an aftermarket deck.

your set up looks great, i hope some day i can get mine that nice and clean.

that looks much better than the stock radio !!